toblix

Idle Thumbs panel at PAX Prime

I was at a buddy's wedding last night and sitting at a table populated by my board-gaming friends. I haven't been able to go to games night since May, as it got changed to Tuesdays and I work every Tuesday night. Two pieces of good news came out of this. First, games night will be moving to Thursdays, which means I'll be able to start hanging out with that crew and playing board games again, which I have done most weeks since Middle School (That would be about 10 years now. This is a pretty tight group of friends we're talking about here). The second is that one of their number had bailed out of going to PAX, leaving an empty seat in the car, and empty bed at the hotel, and an abandoned ticket. Long story short, Miffy is going to PAX! This will be the first time I'll have been in the States without at least one of my party being under 21, so I'll even be able to attend any Thumbs bar meet-ups! Another one of my crew is a listener, but I don't think he's on the forums (Dylan, if you're reading this, it's Pete. Say hi for fuck's sake). Still, I will be at the panel, as well as any post-panel celebrations! Hells yes.

I also forgot that Idle Thumbs has no merchandise and no donation button. It's just a different kind of culture here than the other podcasts I listen to.

We were heading more in that direction, which is partially why we opened the blog and re-designed the front page, somewhere in the late 30s or 40s of the original podcast... but then Nick left and we stopped doing them, so all infrastructure/business-type stuff was put on indefinite hold. The new podcast with Steve (and Sean) has always been a more nebulous thing so we didn't really invest in infrastructure for that either. Oh well!

We were heading more in that direction, which is partially why we opened the blog and re-designed the front page, somewhere in the late 30s or 40s of the original podcast... but then Nick left and we stopped doing them, so all infrastructure/business-type stuff was put on indefinite hold. The new podcast with Steve (and Sean) has always been a more nebulous thing so we didn't really invest in infrastructure for that either. Oh well!

Idle Thumbs III will have a subscription based system and micro transactions for extra bloopers. Also, an iPhone app with the ability to take and/or upload wizard related photos to a master server on the go, a built in 'Call Wizard-On' button, access to every episode of the podcast (For a price, of course) and every Snooglebum remix. This app would cost the meager price of $20.

Great ideas right? ...right?

Awesome news Miffy... do we have a dedicated thread for Pax yet? I'm kind of wondering when/if there will be a bar meet, since I guess Saturday seems natural, but with the panel being on Sunday....

Anyway, I'm only coming down on Sunday, so I'll probably miss any meet up, probably for the best since wrestling Jake in a bar is on my bucket list.

I like the fact Idle Thumbs isn't all corporate, though really it doesn't matter either way. I like the informality of not selling me stuff I'd probably buy... also the current "stores" for gear are pretty hilarious in the fact that no one makes money and the cheque goes to the wrong address.

Idle Thumbs III will have a subscription based system and micro transactions for extra bloopers. Also, an iPhone app with the ability to take and/or upload wizard related photos to a master server on the go, a built in 'Call Wizard-On' button, access to every episode of the podcast (For a price, of course) and every Snooglebum remix. This app would cost the meager price of $20.

Great ideas right? ...right?

Don't you mean Idl5 Thumbs. Or at least Idle Th4mbs. But not Idle Thumbs iii

Pax East 2011.

a) did I miss the thread?

B) thumbs gonna be there? I see Famous and Vid Games are gonna be there for a panel on Poker Inventory. And Scoops n' Remo work in that city.. (and are maybe on a panel too, it's a long list)

c) if no, HOW IS THERE NO REUNION SHOW?

d) I'm going with some other guys from work, my first PAX! Thumb meet-up?

Wishful thinking, but what are the chances of having another IdleThumbs panel at Pax Prime this year?

I really only went last year for the thumbs and would do it again if there'll be another panel.

Probably doubtful though.

We're not doing anything at pax this year, sorry!

Was that a conscious decision made even with all of you at PAX, or are not all of you attending this year?

Was that a conscious decision made even with all of you at PAX, or are not all of you attending this year?

I'm not going. I don't know which Thumbs are.