Inphidel

Summer Steam Sale

They have Max Payne on sale, but... I don't think I could play an "older" game of this kind, I'm so used to modern controls, I'd get frustrated and quit playing the game... :blink:

I don't like playing "action-y" games on PC that much anymore, they never seem to control as good as the console counterpart... ;(

The input is all standard PC shooter controls, although it sounds like you're not quite comfortable with that either. Its a pretty PC-centric action game because the twitch shooting is harder to do on a gamepad. If you haven't played the series before I'd really recommend checking it out since the deal is 1+2 bundled and they are both a ton of fun.

They have Max Payne on sale, but... I don't think I could play an "older" game of this kind, I'm so used to modern controls, I'd get frustrated and quit playing the game... :blink:

I don't like playing "action-y" games on PC that much anymore, they never seem to control as good as the console counterpart... ;(

Max Payne games play great on PC, they were made for PC and ported to consoles.

Both MP games I've owned since day one those were released and those are games that I will not buy double on digital format. I will not put all my gaming library on Steam, at least I hope that will not happen.

Well, I succumbed:

THQ pack mainly for DOW2:Chaos + Metro:2033. I probably won't even look at all the other stuff that came with that.

Lead and Gold. It intrigued me back when it was released and at £3.50 how could I not?

Another copy of Blood Bowl for my new netbook (it has no cd drive so I can't install/run the copy I already have on it). I'm 99% certain it'll run on low settings with it being a dual core/ion beast, it runs Stalker SoC after all. If not, I paid £8 for the privilege of not having to use the CD.

Lastly I got Kings Bounty purely on Chris's enthusiasm on the podcast (and the cheap price).

That'll be me sorted for the next couple of years then!

I've only tried Lead & Gold so far and finding a game and lag are a bit of a problem. Server browsing isn't easy as you can't sort servers by ping or any other means for that matter and there haven't been too many available games when I've looked either. I've enjoyed the few games I've played so far though and I like the level design and visuals (despite their obvious heritage).

Max Payne games play great on PC, they were made for PC and ported to consoles.

Both MP games I've owned since day one those were released and those are games that I will not buy double on digital format. I will not put all my gaming library on Steam, at least I hope that will not happen.

I guess I'll give it a go since it's so cheap and it's a bundle? :erm:

While I don't have ALL my game son Steam I haven't bought a non-digital PC game in ages... In some cases, I get the download and DVD versions, like Telltale or some indie games, but other than that, the only physical games I've bought lately was... The one from the guy who did Gish? It was almost every game he made in one CD? "A Cry For Help"?

My PC is mostly for mouse based games, like adventure games or indie and small press games, and most of them lately only exist digitally. :blink:

So I bit on the Civ 4 bundle despite already having played the heck out of Civ 4 vanilla. I understand colonization is it's own separate thing, but of the other expansion/add-on things, which is the latest one that includes all the additions from the previous ones or is that stuff all bundled in no matter which executable I start up?

So I bit on the Civ 4 bundle despite already having played the heck out of Civ 4 vanilla. I understand colonization is it's own separate thing, but of the other expansion/add-on things, which is the latest one that includes all the additions from the previous ones or is that stuff all bundled in no matter which executable I start up?

Beyond the Sword.

I have fallen victim to steam impulse purchases (the desire, not the competing download platform) again! So far, it's been the Introversion pack, Max Payne Bundle, and Serious Sam bundle.

I'd never played an Introversion game before, but heard a bit about Darwinia and figured why not? I blazed through the game over the weekend, and it was great fun, definitely a different take on the RTS. I also set DEFCON into rolling demo mode for a while, and watching the world come to an end in 5 minutes to a gentle ambient soundtrack is an interesting thing. I'm somewhat daunted by playing the actual game though, and have yet to try it.

I played through Max Payne back in the day, and loved it then, so I had to pick it up on the cheap. I'm not really sure the first game holds to today's standards though, in terms of level design (I spent a long time wandering around not sure where to go next) and the pretty brutal difficulty even on the lowest of settings. I'm not sure I'll see it through. The second game however, I think holds up pretty brilliantly. Bullet time recharges over time so you can use it more liberally, the flow of the levels makes a bit more sense, and it doesn't even look half bad for its age. It's still pretty old school in terms of PC shooter design, but in just the right amount for me now.

Serious Sam... I figured why not? Shooty mans.

The first Max Payne is pretty damn hard. I played it for the first time a year or so ago and it was interesting to face that kind of challenge. I definitely thought "Fuck this game" during sequences like the dream platforming and the stealth section, but there was something rewarding about killing enemies in that game. I think its the vulnerability of Max Payne contrasted with his relative agility to enemies that makes the gunfights interesting. Its kind of like playing the Scout in Team Fortress 2, and I believe it still holds up because modern third person shooters have sort of gravitated towards more defensive cover-based shooting.

Goddamnit. I did my best not to buy anything but ended up getting the THQ complete pack :(

Goddamnit. I did my best not to buy anything but ended up getting the THQ complete pack :(

excellent - one more person for a Dawn of Thumbs II session?

Sure. I mostly bought it (and Titan Quest) to get another co-op game to play with the brother. I've never played DoW2 or any RTS since Total Annihilation though. Not a genre I prosper in.

Also, for Metro 2033 which has been beckoning me for a while and now I have the PC to run it.

Sure. I mostly bought it (and Titan Quest) to get another co-op game to play with the brother. I've never played DoW2 or any RTS since Total Annihilation though. Not a genre I prosper in.

Also, for Metro 2033 which has been beckoning me for a while and now I have the PC to run it.

Metro is pretty rad. - I gotta check out that rpg I didnt know you could coop it - is it coopable over the net?

Yes (and only over the net). Up to six players apparently. I only know of it because Tiberius of Ultima Lazarus worked on it. I think he did some of the level design.

Damn enablers, those Steam guys.

That is exactly the word for it. I am suffering. Some of those deals are difficult not to take. Zeno Clash for the price of a pint?

So there is an X-Com pack on sale today and I was wondering if I should give it a shot. I've never touched an x-com game in my life, and I'm a little curious what it's all about, but I don't think I could handle a big clunky game that only runs at 640x480 at this point. Think they would hold up?

p.s. also, how's the difficulty curve for these games? I really don't feel like going into another older game blind and bashing my head against the wall for a while.

Despite recent unemployment and lack of funds I caved on Cryostasis and Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena. (Coming with a remastered escape from butcher bay pushed me over the edge) I'm hoping maybe it will scratch some sort of Thief itch without me having to delve into the realm of "TH134F"

Cool, ArmA II is 15 dollars. All of you should get it so we can play it multiplayer. We can have many grand adventures of large scale warfare!

I was thinking of getting this. If there are enough thumbs interested in multiplayer for it, I'll definitely get it. I don't know how frustrating me getting slaughtered repeatedly would be for the rest of you though ;)

I went ahead and got Osmos for $2.50 and was really pleasantly surprised. I'd heard a lot about the game, but reading descriptions just doesn't do it justice. There's something about the mechanic where you shrink as you propel yourself that adds a depth to both the gameplay and the themes of the game. Highly recommended.

I went ahead and got Osmos for $2.50 and was really pleasantly surprised. I'd heard a lot about the game, but reading descriptions just doesn't do it justice. There's something about the mechanic where you shrink as you propel yourself that adds a depth to both the gameplay and the themes of the game. Highly recommended.
I picked that one up last night as well not knowing much about it and it was pretty fun. For that price I would recommend it as well, though I don't see myself spending a ton of time on it.

Maybe it's just because I've bought so much stuff in past sales on Steam but the daily sales don't seem that great to me. There hasn't been much on sale that interests that I didn't already own, and except for new releases I generally only buy games on sale. Hopefully they will get better as we get closer to the end. Or maybe Steam has just spoiled me.

Despite recent unemployment and lack of funds I caved on Cryostasis and Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena. (Coming with a remastered escape from butcher bay pushed me over the edge) I'm hoping maybe it will scratch some sort of Thief itch without me having to delve into the realm of "TH134F"

I had a LOT of fun with the Butcher Bay remake. Dark Athena had me a little bit bored, but at such a low price it's worth looking over.