Sign in to follow this  
Forbin

Chris Remo's on Gamers with Jobs podcast

I love how you can feel Chris dialing the crazy down and sticking with hugely informed opinion for this podcast. Were you doing it over the phone, by the way? It sounded that way, though it never had that awkward 'phone chemistry' thing going.

It was funny how they were all excited about the new things and he was all "God I'm so fucking tired of having to buy all this new shit!" It was a nice episode.

I love how you can feel Chris dialing the crazy down and sticking with hugely informed opinion for this podcast. Were you doing it over the phone, by the way? It sounded that way, though it never had that awkward 'phone chemistry' thing going.

Yeah, GWJ is a Skype-based podcast. Whenever I'm on a Skype podcast I deliberately hold back. The only way to avoid Awkward Phone Syndrome is to only speak when you're confident you can say at least one full sentence. You can't do a lot of quick back and forth, it just falls apart. That's the main reason I tend to be more reserved when I do other podcasts--that, and obviously also that I'm a guest in somebody else's home, so to speak, and there's not really the existing chemistry to go nuts like Thumbs.

Idle Thumbs you say? What is this podcast? I think I've forgotten. We clearly need a reminder on what an idle thumbs cast sounds like.

It kinda sounds like...

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidle Thuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-uuuuuuuuu-uuuuuuumbs. Games, video games, video games, video games, Videogaaaames, video games, video games, etc etc.

It's pretty good.

It kinda sounds like...

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidle Thuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-uuuuuuuuu-uuuuuuumbs. Games, video games, video games, video games, Videogaaaames, video games, video games, etc etc.

It's pretty good.

:tup:

I listened to the this podcast once and it sounded like Fold Goggold Jeff Goldgate Jeff Jeffgold Foldgold Blumgold Cool Jeffjeff Gatecool Game Coolcold Blum Gateblum Coolgold Goldjeff Game Gamegame Gate Oldgold Jeff Goldblast Jeff Gotgamesgold. Cool cool cool game.

I listened to the this podcast once and it sounded like Fold Goggold Jeff Goldgate Jeff Jeffgold Foldgold Blumgold Cool Jeffjeff Gatecool Game Coolcold Blum Gateblum Coolgold Goldjeff Game Gamegame Gate Oldgold Jeff Goldblast Jeff Gotgamesgold. Cool cool cool game.

Sounds like a coolcoolcast! :tup:

Yeah, GWJ is a Skype-based podcast. Whenever I'm on a Skype podcast I deliberately hold back. The only way to avoid Awkward Phone Syndrome is to only speak when you're confident you can say at least one full sentence. You can't do a lot of quick back and forth, it just falls apart. That's the main reason I tend to be more reserved when I do other podcasts--that, and obviously also that I'm a guest in somebody else's home, so to speak, and there's not really the existing chemistry to go nuts like Thumbs.

It works nicely.

I have to say in relation to the podcast that I am super psyched for the 3DS and can't wait to play with it. I understand the skepticism, but the reports we've had (from such notables as Warren Spector) all seem to say that this is the new big disruptive tech, it's not a gimmick, that this thing shows 3D is not just a fad.

I'm completely with you on the Kinect and Move, however, these things are Trojan horses, so to speak. Not at all for 'normal' gamers. They're going to at least to attempt to bring the Xbox and PS3 in the same direction the Wii has gone, with all the disenfranchising of the 'hardcore crowd' involved. The silly thing is, as a gamer you can't help but feel excited at new forms of control, but especially in the case of Kinect it's easy to forget that the actual application to games will reap things that we won't be particularly interested in.

To bring it back to the comparison of these technologies to the 3DS: the latter actually does enhance the gaming experience, adding possibly interesting new gameplay options (like the touch screen did) in a way that will speak directly to us as that 'hardcore' audience (I hate that term so much).

Verily, I agree with you. Though I'd say that something like 3D is more akin to rumble. As in, once you have it for a while, you don't really notice it anymore, but I do think you are right.

Devices like Kinect and Move will excite me more when/if they become a standard in the next generation of consoles.

Chris, I got your reference. Your buddy space marine / squad mate. :tup:

Also, Canberra is pronounced something more along the lines of Canbra.

Agreed about the 3DS, I think the key thing to avoid too much of the gimmick games, is the fact that you can turn the 3DS. So you can't make games that rely solely on the 3D because you have no idea if people will just play with 3D off or not.

Chris, I got your reference. Your buddy space marine / squad mate. :tup:

Also, Canberra is pronounced something more along the lines of Canbra.

Haha, it wasn't even that. It was a reference to Daikatana's (infamous, or at least I thought so) line, "I can't leave without my buddy Superfly!"

And thanks for the pronunciation note, I'll keep that in mind.

It was funny how they were all excited about the new things and he was all "God I'm so fucking tired of having to buy all this new shit!" It was a nice episode.
I dunno, I didn't hear any "FUCKING KIDS WITH ALL THIS NEW SHIT IN MY DAY PC GAMING FLOPPY DISKS ARRRR I NEED TO BUY A NEW CANE", but maybe I missed that.

I dunno, I didn't hear any "FUCKING KIDS WITH ALL THIS NEW SHIT IN MY DAY PC GAMING FLOPPY DISKS ARRRR I NEED TO BUY A NEW CANE", but maybe I missed that.

That's all implied. You just have to listen carefully.

They sound like they're doing well. A new producer, and less simultaneous casters in their recent offerings.

Funny that Chris being a guest on GWJ would get me to go and listen to them a bit again, considering that's how I originally found Idle Thumbs- "GWJ had a great guest on this week that sounded like he really knew what he was talking about. I hear he normally does this OTHER podcast, I should check this ou- OH HOLY CRAP THIS IS WHERE I BELONG INSTEAD."

My attempt to hook up with the GWJ League of Legends contingent was the first time I'd stuck my head in their forums for over a year- Holy hell things are scary and hard to follow! I can only imagine the horror of trying to read something the size of neoGaf or SomethingAwful...

It is interesting you should say that Xeneth (the overwhelming nature of the GWJ forums). Having been in these forums exclusively for over 5 years now (I had never previously posted in another forum before I have not done so since) I wonder what would have happened if idle thumbs.net had exploded. Would we have been inundated with crazies? Would I have stopped coming here?

...At the same time I hope idle thumbs does continue to be at least modestly popular as it is always nice to see new people who enjoy the same things as you do (not saying you should bugger off or anything sorry if that seemed implied)

They sound like they're doing well. A new producer, and less simultaneous casters in their recent offerings.

Funny that Chris being a guest on GWJ would get me to go and listen to them a bit again, considering that's how I originally found Idle Thumbs- "GWJ had a great guest on this week that sounded like he really knew what he was talking about. I hear he normally does this OTHER podcast, I should check this ou- OH HOLY CRAP THIS IS WHERE I BELONG INSTEAD."

My attempt to hook up with the GWJ League of Legends contingent was the first time I'd stuck my head in their forums for over a year- Holy hell things are scary and hard to follow! I can only imagine the horror of trying to read something the size of neoGaf or SomethingAwful...

Having been listening to both casts for about the same time, I can relate to that. While GWJ covers a far broader range of games, I kinda like the goofy OCD nature and tangents like Chris talking about musical stuff a little more.

Though the GWJ forums are way busier than this one, they are fairly relaxed as long as you're not trying to keep up with every thread. Nothing compared to SomethingAwful (where you don't follow the forums, the forums follow you). Then again a lot of people who paid the $10 registration fee for SA.com aren't in it for the madness, but because they have actual awesomely useful threads on a lot of real life related topics. If a child read nothing but SA.com for a few years, it would have more usable knowledge than an average highschool graduate. And the blackest kind of humor of course.

Coming back from the tangent, I enjoyed hearing Chris on GWJ. And I had a similar sentiment as toblix had. It didn't come of negative though. Chris just made some informed guesses which tech or games will be there to stay and which will probably be DOA imo.