juv3nal

Journey (thatgamecompany's next thing)

How is it hyperbolic to say that it's nothing special, and boring?

My family loved Flower. They did very occasionally get lost, but the sensation of flight blew their minds sufficiently that they didn't need constant direction. I thought it was a great game, and I look forward to Journey. Nothing wrong with exploration and collaboration as ends in themselves, to be honest that's what I care about most in a lot of games.

This game looks amazing.

And I mean that very literally. Whatever else it does or doesn't do well (and Christian Donlan seems to like it at least), it's undeniably very pretty and I rarely want to play games just for that but in this case I think I do.

Whoa, I just watched that Eurogamer video and had to stop it where the guy started talking about "We were inspired by Joseph Campbell's The Hero With A Thousand Faces..."

That's so generically "inspirational" that it could only make me hate a game I don't think I'd hate.

But I'm too much of a skinflint for a PS3, so hey!

PS: There have now been several games where I said, "I like it, but I'm not going to buy a PS3 just to play Journey/3D Dot Game Heroes/Ico/Shadow of the Colossus/The Last Guardian..."

So instead I use my Xbox just to play Oblivion.

"This is how it feels to control a poem with a controller."

-- IGN.com Ben Kuchera

*cringe* Don't get me wrong, I love when games are unique, but comments like that sure make it difficult for me to take the writer seriously.

I just have to hope they'll make those PC versions on Steam then. They just recently said they are looking for other platforms in addition to Playstation now that Journey is finished.

Yeah, I would love a PC version. The game looks beautiful, so maxing it out on a high resolution monitor sounds good to me. ^_^

^_^

Quit it.

I wouldn't mind a PC version of this, even after playing the beta on PS3.

Whoa, I just watched that Eurogamer video and had to stop it where the guy started talking about "We were inspired by Joseph Campbell's The Hero With A Thousand Faces..."

That's so generically "inspirational" that it could only make me hate a game I don't think I'd hate.

But I'm too much of a skinflint for a PS3, so hey!

PS: There have now been several games where I said, "I like it, but I'm not going to buy a PS3 just to play Journey/3D Dot Game Heroes/Ico/Shadow of the Colossus/The Last Guardian..."

So instead I use my Xbox just to play Oblivion.

I can tell you actually DID stop the video because he then immediately went on to admit how overused an influence that is in film and video games, so at least he agrees with you. The sense I get was that he was actually inspired by Campbell, while 90% of genre fiction merely follows the outline he presents.

I can tell you actually DID stop the video because he then immediately went on to admit how overused an influence that is in film and video games, so at least he agrees with you.

Looks like my knee-jerk reflexes are as sharp as ever!

Just finished my first play through. Amazing.

Isn't anyone else playing this?!

I did one play through. It was awesome.

If I had to pick nits with it, I'd say the section where

you're moving against the wind and basically can't jump because your scarf has frozen up

overstayed its welcome a teensy bit.

One awesome coop thing that happened was when

stranger and I saw our first scary flying snake thing, we both instinctively ducked behind the nearest stone structure hoping not to be spotted despite not knowing if it was even possible to die/be harmed

but if you have a ps3 and have not played it, you basically should do that rather than reading those spoilers. unless you're some kind of weirdo that hated flower.

Played it yesterday. What an amazing experience. A couple of moments nearly moved me to tears.

The key is playing it with a willing partner though. I completed an early area with someone who seemed to be just dicking around on their own, and it was terrible. But when I got paired up with someone who was playing it properly and who was actively communicating, it became totally amazing.

It's interesting that they cited Campbell as an influence. My first thought when finishing the game was that it's a perfect minimalistic take on the hero's journey. It does feel like they were genuinely inspired by it in a meaningful way, not just in the default sense.

This game is great. I love how you develop communication skills with the other player with just a single action possibility. Finished one journey already, I will probably do another few journeys.

Amazingly beautiful. Plus I started off with a great partner who stuck with me till the end.

Super cool moment when

I thought I had lost the guy at the end while we're flying up the mountain, so I waited a little... No one came. Then I flew to the end of the thing and there he was, waiting for me. Totally made it for me.

Actually got a message afterwards thanking me for the playthrough. I was also told that

your cloak changes a little each new Journey.

Actually got a message afterwards thanking me for the playthrough. I was also told that

your cloak changes a little each new Journey.

Yep, more decoration for every complete journey

I became a white guy.

In the chapter select world (the first one), there's a bunch of ribbons at the right (at the start of the chapter select area) that turns you into a white guy.

Played it yesterday. What an amazing experience. A couple of moments nearly moved me to tears.

The key is playing it with a willing partner though. I completed an early area with someone who seemed to be just dicking around on their own, and it was terrible. But when I got paired up with someone who was playing it properly and who was actively communicating, it became totally amazing.

I played just a little bit. The coop thing is quite cool. I was amazed. At first when I noticed another player we were kind of each still dicking around on our own, but soon we were doing things together. I really love how they've done the multiplayer -- no names, no chat etc.

But how do you communicate? Just one action, I guess you can use it to say "come this way" but what else can you say?