toblix

Portal 2

"Valve has moved beyond the episodic model – "games as a platform" is a distillation of that."

What worries me about this is that the TF2 model of constantly updating, changing and adding stuff seems much more suited to multiplayer games than it does single player. How can you deliver a single player experience like Half-Life or Portal, or anything like that, if you have to deliver new contents every other week, or every month?

Oh shit, I didn't realise he was using real gamertags, it looks like it misght actually be the real guy! I will have to nause them up about that. I deliberately make sure all screenshots I take of multiplayer games only show my gamertag, if any and all references I use in articles of gamertags have them shortened so they aren't real.

What worries me about this is that the TF2 model of constantly updating, changing and adding stuff seems much more suited to multiplayer games than it does single player. How can you deliver a single player experience like Half-Life or Portal, or anything like that, if you have to deliver new contents every other week, or every month?

I guess it could potentially work for stuff like Portal. Updates could drastically change or "break" challenge rooms or open up completely new areas. It would be awesome to have these sort of periodic events in a single player game, actually.

Note: I still haven't had the chance to play Portal 2 (thanks to combined efforts of Sony and the Hut), but I suspect the campaign structure is not actually well suited for this kind of constantly evolving experience. The game would probably have to have a sort of free roaming mode for this to work well.

I think you might be over reacted just a tad toblik. These aren't constant updates and changes to the single player. This is one big update happening a month or two from now.

Most of the Portal 2 DLC is probably not going too advance the story at all. Asking for the same experience as the single player is asking a lot. I expect test chambers with a higher degree of difficulty and maybe some new GlaDOS lines.

Also, Valve has said several times that TF2 is a testbed. I expect them to be much more calculating with Portal 2 DLC.

Finished the coop last night with a friend and really enjoyed it. Some of the later puzzles are fiendishly creative, and having that AHA! moment with two people makes it that much more fun. Also, feeling like less of an idiot when BOTH of you don't see an obvious solution to the puzzles lol

Where did you get all that text about his profile?

From the article twmac linked.

Oh shit, I didn't realise he was using real gamertags, it looks like it misght actually be the real guy! I will have to nause them up about that. I deliberately make sure all screenshots I take of multiplayer games only show my gamertag, if any and all references I use in articles of gamertags have them shortened so they aren't real.

They are all real gamertags, probably safest to change them, which I see has happened. I searched a few of them on google and the article was the first hit, I don't think they would be happy about that.

Agreed.

I read the article before it was published and thought that the names were a good mix between authentic and ridiculous, that maybe Dylan had made them up. Mine and the editor's fault for not checking with him first.

As soon as you pointed it out I emailed the editor of the site and the author and asked them to change it due to the fact that he most probably hadn't got authorisation from the players to use their gamertags and that could be deemed an invasion of privacy.

It was a schoolboy error on all our parts so thanks for catching it.

Oh and also:

http://www.electrondance.com/?p=2148

The video at the end is adorable.

I'm not going to embed that for spoiler reasons that might be there or something.

I don't remember hearing those Caroline quotes in the beginning of that clip in the game. Ok, there's apparently some other sound clips in youtube which were cut from the games. GlaDOS mentions Chell's name twice in those. I don't think that happened in Portal 1 or 2 at any point.

Edited by Kolzig

Me too, soon as I saw that. Looking forward to leafing through it when I have some down time tomorrow.

Not to diminish the actual content of the thing, but I find it quite annoying that the screenshots and description have just been copied from the iPad app. The only thing that will happen if I start swiping my fingers over my screen is me needing to clean off a smudgy monitor.

Bought. Read through half of it over Easter on my dad's iPad, so I'm glad to throw my own cash at it for the other half.

Has this (ie an app based around reading a text article) been done on Steam before? If it does well, it could be a good avenue for someone like Kill Screen.

I know they do players guides, but having never bought one I have no idea how they work. It certainly would be a cool way to get a magazine. They could just patch it with a new issue if you subscribe.

Hah! :)

Played this through a few weeks ago and didn't have much to add. I think this is the first game I've wanted to play through again with commentary.

I tried to get some custom levels in place today, on a Mac, and jesus was it a fuck around. Found I had to use a console command to open them, and no matter what key I reassigned it to, it wouldn't open the console. :fart:

Still, a small disappointment compared to the game. It made me laugh all the way through, and I loved going through

the past decades of Aperture Laboratories. Especially the progression from astronaut and athlete guinea pigs to paying tramps $60

. I even grew to like Steven Merchant in it, despite him usually grating on me. The last bit didn't seem as challenging as it was in the first, but it's beautifully done.

I downloaded/read the Last Days of Portal 2, that was a nice investment of 2 bucks and about an hour and a half of my time... I just wish I knew it was available for the iPad before I got it on Steam, but I guess it's my fault for not being up-to-date with gaming stuff :P

It made me laugh all the way through, and I loved going through

the past decades of Aperture Laboratories. Especially the progression from astronaut and athlete guinea pigs to paying tramps $60

. I even grew to like Steven Merchant in it, despite him usually grating on me. The last bit didn't seem as challenging as it was in the first, but it's beautifully done.

Totally agree :tup:

You should try co-op, it's like the same, but more.