toblix

Portal 2

It's very funny to me that the main thing probably preventing people from converging on Amnesia is fear.

Even if the reward isn't that great, I do think some of the content is really interesting. Killing Floor, The Ball, Amnesia, Bit.Trip Beat and Defense Grid got really nice portal themed add ons.

I also got to find out about Defense Grid, Toki Tori and Wonderful End of The World, all games I'm not sure I ever would've played otherwise. I also realized that Cogs is not my thing.

I tried to get in TF2 but the loadout hasn't been working for me since friday. I wanted to check out my portal pin, but no such luck.

I'm late to the Bit Trip Beat train, but is it just me or are the boss fights excluding the first one, really, really boring?! Or am I getting Breakout and Pong bosses because I'm playing on Easy? It just seems completely out of context from the rest of the level.

Worst thing is, I couldn't even beat the Pong guy.. :/

I'm late to the Bit Trip Beat train, but is it just me or are the boss fights excluding the first one, really, really boring?! Or am I getting Breakout and Pong bosses because I'm playing on Easy? It just seems completely out of context from the rest of the level.

Worst thing is, I couldn't even beat the Pong guy.. :/

I thought the first one was the most boring, its basically like the rest of the level except you see the dots clumped up. Playing Breakout and Pong was a lot of fun and very challenging. Also I absolutely love how a random house pops up behind you during the Pong fight sometimes.

I thought the first one was the most boring, its basically like the rest of the level except you see the dots clumped up. Playing Breakout and Pong was a lot of fun and very challenging. Also I absolutely love how a random house pops up behind you during the Pong fight sometimes.

Heh, yeah. I guess you're right about the first one. But for me he made sense. The other two, after throwing so many rythmic and pattern challenges at me, and then giving me un-rythmic, reflex-only end bosses, just felt kind of cruel..

I've still never beaten the pong boss. I don't have the patience to retry when the level is so long. I never tried it on easy, though. I'll do that if I go back.

Edit: Oh hey, B.TB is the current game! I'll give it a try right now.

i got it last night. it's the <test> song. if you play it on easy (i'd recommend it), you have to get 180,000 points on it. it has to be with the portal graphics, if you beat it with regular audiosurf "themes" it won't count. it's actually pretty hard, it took me like 2 hours to beat it.
Maybe I'm clueless, but how do I know if I've earned a potato? I've acheived Gold a few times but nothing happened.

Heh, yeah. I guess you're right about the first one. But for me he made sense. The other two, after throwing so many rythmic and pattern challenges at me, and then giving me un-rythmic, reflex-only end bosses, just felt kind of cruel..

Yeah now that you point it out I can see why the reflex bosses could bother someone.

Also, I really liked the Portal level, it was short and made to a very good song, I am just afraid if I hear it enough I will like it less and less and then be underwhelmed when I finally hear it in the game.

Maybe I'm clueless, but how do I know if I've earned a potato? I've acheived Gold a few times but nothing happened.

it should pop up a steam overlay browser window with a glados message.

one thing i have noticed (i'm new to audiosurf) is that the menu/browser is extremely buggy. sometimes it loads up the song without the Portal graphics, which gives a different gold medal score, and WILL NOT earn you the potato.

anybody know if there's a way to play regular songs in Portal mode?

it should pop up a steam overlay browser window with a glados message.
Ohhhh... I have the in-game steam overlay turned off
one thing i have noticed (i'm new to audiosurf) is that the menu/browser is extremely buggy. sometimes it loads up the song without the Portal graphics, which gives a different gold medal score, and WILL NOT earn you the potato.
Are you restarting the song rather than loading it from the main menu? That's the only time that has happened for me.

Your steam profile will show all the potatoes you've earned. But yeah, everytime you earn a potato a steam browser thing pops up.

Yeah, check your profile. The number of potatoes you've earned is displayed there. (Check mine for an example: http://steamcommunity.com/id/thunderpeel2001/)

There's sometimes fiddliness with getting potatoes that the ARG Wiki doesn't cover. (It's still worth looking at, though: http://valvearg.com/wiki/Potato_Sources)

I've tried to elaborate on what's written there for people who aren't completely up to speed on my blog (only because I can't figure out how to get an account on their wiki). I haven't done AudioSurf yet, although I do own it, so I probably should, but there's some background detail on the whole thing: http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2011/04/glados-reboot-help-portal-2-get.html

If anyone has any suggestions or additions, I'll add them ASAP. Thanks.

Also: I pre-ordered Portal 2. Yeah, they got me. I have to say, this whole thing has been a heap of fun. I'm so glad I played Defense Grid, I love it!

Also also:

If you keep getting an error when the Aperture Science pages open, it might be because your Steam Overlay is no longer signed in to the Steam websites. Go to steamcommunity.com / steampowered.com in your overlay and see if you are logged in or not. Logging in manually or restarting Steam should fix the problem. You don't need to do all the steps for the potato again; if you copy the URL from the address bar when the overlay pops up, you should be able to just put that in any browser, provided you are logged in to the Steam websites.

(I still think potato acceleration + greater time removals will change that).

How would we even know about the potato acceleration (good lord) until it's all the sudden out, the steam bar updates? It doesn't seem like steam has been taking much into consideration for its estimate.

How would we even know about the potato acceleration (good lord) until it's all the sudden out, the steam bar updates? It doesn't seem like steam has been taking much into consideration for its estimate.

The potatoes remain a mystery. They increase your man hours, but nobody know by how much, or when. I wonder if we'll see a boost at 500,000?

From one of the devs:

http://valvearg.com/w/images/7/7b/Mail_from_Jeep_to_Ryukaki.png

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

So basically, we won't until it happens. Which is kind of crap because it seems like it would be unlocked earlier if they counted immediately. Basically, I don't think valve was ever going to release it more than 24 hours early.

At the end of Portal 2 it is revealed that you were in the Borealis the whole time and when you leave the ship it becomes the start of Half Life 2: Episode 3, which is given a release date.

If that happened I would have a heart attack.

I put that in spoiler tags because I worry that it could actually happen, and it would then ruin the game for those of you who read it. If it does, I will still have predicted the end of the game though. Come back and read it when you finish the game.

Well I have been thinking something exactly like that to happen also.

There will be some crazy nerd orgasms tomorrow, that's for sure.

I just got so excited about this game I just can't hide it. If there turns out to be a Half-Life reveal in or around this game, my face is going to physically detach, make its way to Washington and kiss Valve on their big fat lips.

the slightly worrying thing is that some people have had the console versions since last week. I know many sites would have embargoes on that kind of news, but news that massive surely would have made it to people who weren't even actively looking for it by now.

that said, i'm glad nothing has been spoiled for me. 99% of the time i care fuckall about spoilers, but for something even tangentially Half Life related, i'd dismember someone who spoiled it for me.

unless the PC version has some content that the console versions don't, which could prove interesting.