toblix

Portal 2

Completing 3 2 1 Kick It apparently took a whopping 30 minutes off the launch clock. ;(

Well the Wiki is trying to organize to finish the easiest ones first. This might be a bad idea, especially if the games reward time nonlinearly with respect to userbase.

Ugh. There's all kinds of errors in the Wiki, but I can't see how you can join to edit it?

Edit: Nice graphic, btw. Captain F. Did yo make that especially for me? :grin:

I'm duuuuuuuuumb

Edited by PiratePooAndHisBattleship

Man, people sure are complaining a lot about a neat PR thing to encourage people to not only check out indie games, but actually play some of the shit that gets added to their Steam library during a sale-impulse-pack-o-things-buy. I propose that Valve has spoiled us and people can either enjoy this or ignore it. Complaining seems kinda stupid, when they've gone out of their way to do a cool thing.

also, does anyone know the password for the bonus stuff in aaaaaAaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA?

Man, people sure are complaining a lot about a neat PR thing to encourage people to not only check out indie games, but actually play some of the shit that gets added to their Steam library during a sale-impulse-pack-o-things-buy. I propose that Valve has spoiled us and people can either enjoy this or ignore it. Complaining seems kinda stupid, when they've gone out of their way to do a cool thing.

also, does anyone know the password for the bonus stuff in aaaaaAaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA?

I don't mean to complain like that... I think what they're doing is exceedingly awesome for both players and the developers of that game. I'm just saying the ending lacks signicifance, so far. Criticism of how it's ending rather then content/intent wise. It's still early though, so anything can happen. I'm sure Valve also has their reasoning for doing it this way.

Miffy, I think it's either "long fall or "Killing you and giving you good advice aren't mutually exclusive." both minus the quotes. That 2nd one is the console input thing. Anyhoo, I understand your "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" standpoint and I kind of agree.

I put together a little guide to help steer people in the right direction.

http://www.giantbomb.com/portal-2/61-21662/efficient-ways-to-help-unlock-portal-2-early/35-491312/#1

A lot of confusion is going around on the best way to help unlock Portal 2. Here's some tips to make sure you're doing the most you can.

-We need more people to play and unlock potatoes in the Potato Sack.

-Even if you didn't buy the Potato Sack you can still help. Any of the games you have from the pack will count.

-If you don't have any Potato Sack games you can download the Audiosurf demo and get potatoes.

-Playtime is primary focus. Idling in game is rumored to not add to the CPUS, but if you're away from your computer it wouldn't hurt to leave one open.

- A guide to unlocking potatoes ( mirrored link if wiki goes down). It still is unknown how these factor in, but are confirmed to help. Rumored to be multipliers.

-Join this group on steam for a potato. Careful if someone sends a link to this group in steam and it asks you to log in. It could be someone phishing. Safest way to join is to search for nelipot in steam and join there.

-Keep current with GLaDOS@home so you're not playing a game that is already at computations complete. We don't need to play those anymore.

-Keep an eye on the wiki ( alternative if wiki goes down) so you know which game is the current focus.

-One game at a time. Opening multiple games won't help. Only the one your profile says your playing counts.

Careful in any related irc channels. A early copy was leaked online and people have been joining and spamming spoilers.

Wiki went down while I was writing this. Posted alternate links.

Let me know if I missed something.

i got it last night. it's the <test> song. if you play it on easy (i'd recommend it), you have to get 180,000 points on it. it has to be with the portal graphics, if you beat it with regular audiosurf "themes" it won't count. it's actually pretty hard, it took me like 2 hours to beat it.
I've gotten Gold on both the easy and medium settings but potatoes were non-existent. Possibly I need to earn Gold before the end of the level and not including bonuses.

I have one hint. If you're playing The Wonderful End of the World Portal level (which canb e reached by holding "P" while entering Sugar Candy in Timed mode) your goal is to get the cake. The hint on the chart says you just need to be big enough to eat the cake, but it is false. You will get a B- (which I believe is the lowest grade) for any playthroughs that don't get the cake, and as soon as you get it the level will end. This bugged the hell out of me, because I went to more densely packed areas to max out my size, when all I needed to do is grab the cake at a certain point.

I'm actually getting quite annoyed that these challenges are so frickin hard. The AaAaA ones are painful :(

Just be happy you're logging hours in the game. I've come infuriatingly close to the gold medal in Audiosurf.

The Audiosurf one is infamous. It depends a lot on how many companion cubes drop and that's random across playthroughs.

The Ball's side campaign thing has been the most enjoyable so far. I still have to do the Amnesia one, but I'm a bit skittish about that so I'm waiting until tomorrow.

Just be happy you're logging hours in the game. I've come infuriatingly close to the gold medal in Audiosurf.

what finally worked for me: make sure you hit every companion cube and DO NOT hit any of the ink blocks until the cubes hit the bottom row and disappear. if you can, try getting only the cubes and the orange blocks. make sure to get a clean finish (no blocks in the "tray") for a huge point boost. if you don't have 80,000+ points by the point it slows down for the first time, you're in trouble.

if you get the clean finish, you only need about 130,000 by the end of the level. easiest way to get a clean finish is to snag an ink block (mouse 1) and hold on to it until right at the very end, dropping it and clearing out your tray. don't hit that last block.

So did anyone even notice the TF2 update? When I got home on Friday I found out about that and was incredibly pumped, logged onto Steam and knew where my weekend was going instantly and have dumped countless more hours into Super Meat Boy (95.7 now) and have fallen in love with Bit Trip Beat.

I also love how we are now part of the Half-Life universe, someones gotta reboot GLaDOS it just so happens that the biggest dorks over Half-Life will have the pleasure. Also I like the theory that this shit will go live at 50% (currently at 49.6) because apparently we have seen GLaDOS at half power in trailers, I have been avoiding all Portal 2 related stuff in order to have my mind completely blown.

Either way video games are goddamn cool!

I just ordered the PS3 version for £30. I'm supposed to be trying to save money to go PAX Prime this year. FML.

Also I like the theory that this shit will go live at 50% (currently at 49.6) because apparently we have seen GLaDOS at half power in trailers.

;(.

Also I like the theory that this shit will go live at 50% (currently at 49.6) because apparently we have seen GLaDOS at half power in trailers

You tease

Even if it doesn't open that much earlier (I still think potato acceleration + greater time removals will change that), I like being part of a big event.

It's somewhat rare that these things happen, and it's fun to contribute when you can.