toblix

Portal 2

I honestly don't care about platform exclusivity. At the end of the day, by buying the PS3 version, I get a free copy of the steam version. Why people wouldn't do that, assuming they have both platforms, is beyond me.

It would be really cool if they offered that Razer motion control stuff to PS Move owners. They probably won't, because I assume that's a special deal with Razer, but that would be extra functionality most PC users won't have.

I wonder how this game will work on the used market. You must have to tie the copy to your steam account, but then what happens if you sell it? Do they only get the PS3 version, or does it not work at all? I only ask because I predict a lot of PC dudes going out and getting the PS3 version only to sell it back.

I honestly don't care about platform exclusivity. At the end of the day, by buying the PS3 version, I get a free copy of the steam version. Why people wouldn't do that, assuming they have both platforms, is beyond me.
Like I said. Valve makes and supports some of the best PC games, and they're the last company in the world I'd want to mislead by boosting their console sale numbers. But Jake is right, they probably will understand the conversion when I associate the PS3 version then log all my hours on PC.

But also, I have no desire to try to make portals with my thumbs.

Like I said. Valve makes and supports some of the best PC games, and they're the last company in the world I'd want to mislead by boosting their console sale numbers. But Jake is right, they probably will understand the conversion when I associate the PS3 version then log all my hours on PC.

But also, I have no desire to try to make portals with my thumbs.

You wouldn't be, unless you use a bizarre control scheme.

Portal 1 actually played just fine on a PS3 pad, the only time where it became an issue was the last few advanced levels where you had to turn extremely fast to shoot a portal in mid air. That's a situation where M+KB would make things a lot easier.

Portal 1 actually played just fine on a PS3 pad, the only time where it became an issue was the last few advanced levels where you had to turn extremely fast to shoot a portal in mid air. That's a situation where M+KB would make things a lot easier.
It's a bit PC elitist I know, but I feel about using a controller for first person games how console gamers feel about superfluous motion controls. It may be the trendy thing to do right now, and it's hitting a wide market, but no matter how much you train yourself with it, it's not the best control scheme.

I wish there was an easy way to ask Steam if a game will run on my machine.

I wish there was an easy way to ask Steam if a game will run on my machine.

True. They theoretically have your computer's specs on hand, they should add a "Can I Play It?" button on the store page.

The answer for portal 2 is probably yes. The fluid system they've introduced may not scale well, but everything else should.

Now I have a real choice. Buy it on PS3 and get the free copy, or pre-order through steam and get 20% off in a 2-pack.

you guys might have touched on this and i missed it, but i wonder how it would work if say, i bought the ps3 version, gave my friend the disc, and kept the pc version? would the ps3 version have a product key that has to be tied to your steam account for you to have access? i'd imagine it would have to or people would buy the ps3 game, get the pc version, and return the disc to the store.

I would imagine Valve has crunched the numbers on this and decided that in the long run it would probably benefit them in some way...

you guys might have touched on this and i missed it, but i wonder how it would work if say, i bought the ps3 version, gave my friend the disc, and kept the pc version? would the ps3 version have a product key that has to be tied to your steam account for you to have access? i'd imagine it would have to or people would buy the ps3 game, get the pc version, and return the disc to the store.

I don't see Valve letting you spawn two copies that way. It seems very likely that it will require logging in to Steam in some capacity to play. If not, then they must be confident enough that they won't get screwed by it.

What I mean is that Valve has surely thought about it and made the decision either way with that in mind. If it's allowed, nobody will be being sneaky by doing it, because every game developer who allows that to happen at this point knows that they are doing it. The days of accidentally letting you turn your retail game into multiple simultaneous copies without cracking it are long behind us.

hah! well said.

i'm seriously tempted to spring for the ps3 version even though i probably won't play it, except for taking it over to other peoples' houses. hopefully, like you guys said, they'll see that i'll have played like 60 hours on pc and 5 on ps3 for their stat tracking. I definitely would like to see the pc remain their premiere platform.

E1fjDowRlhg

God damn it Valve, these videos are amazing.

Just try to get to close to that baby.

As I said on the RPS comments for Bot Trust;

Find me a human being on earth that does not like J. K. Simmons voice, and I will find us a pair of baseball bats.

Hell, I've even started watching The Closer. And I abso-fucking-loutely loathe Kyra Sedgwik.

lalalala I can't hear you

(trying to avoid portal 2 spoilers)

it's amazing how a little humor can go a long way.

hell, it's what kept duke nukem on top back in the day.

The only thing is that I don't like puzzle games or anything to do with puzzles in video games. I see them as a chore, perhaps because they make you /think/.

Those ads and the amazon preorder bonus pushed me over the edge. Bought the PS3 version today for release date delivery. Heck of a deal, 55 US dollars and a 20 dollar giftcard, and I still have access to all the sweet mods I'm sure the PC version will have.

That's definitely the plan. Play it on the PC for the slightly better visuals and mod support, but also have the PS3 version around to play coop with friends on that system, since it's my primary console.