toblix

Portal 2

Even though Valve has always been saying Portal 2 will be a bigger game than Portal, I've always assumed Portal 2 would be a small game, similar to a HL2 episode, probably because everything Valve has released since HL2 has been smaller games or episodes. Anyone know if they've said anything about this? Do you think Portal 2 will be a "real" full-size game, closer to HL2 in size?

I hope it's not as big as HL2 was. That game is wayyy too bloated. It's tedious. By the time we're trying to enter the Citadel I can't wait for it to be over and done with.

Actually, I just remembered its estimated time is 10 hours (dunno where I read that), so it should take the Real Hardcore Gamer 7 hours and Kromsy around 18. Blah, still too long.

Looks like the game is getting a PS3 port now as well day and date. Newell actually showed up at the sony presser with some clever lines written for him and a nice Kevin Butler joke.

I could play Portal forever. They could make Portal 2 a 20 hour game and I think I would enjoy the whole thing. I am pretty sure Valve hasnt said anything about the length of Portal 2, but I hope it is at least as long as the original.

Even though Valve has always been saying Portal 2 will be a bigger game than Portal, I've always assumed Portal 2 would be a small game, similar to a HL2 episode, probably because everything Valve has released since HL2 has been smaller games or episodes. Anyone know if they've said anything about this? Do you think Portal 2 will be a "real" full-size game, closer to HL2 in size?

I'm almost positive that they have said it will be a full on-its-own release (in the U.S., it will probably cost $60 on consoles, etc.)

I hope it's not as big as HL2 was. That game is wayyy too bloated. It's tedious. By the time we're trying to enter the Citadel I can't wait for it to be over and done with.

wtf

wtf

Aaaactually Toblix, I'm going to have to agree here. The airboat portion could have been just 1 area and I would have been happy with that. That happens at least twice, IIRC, in other sections that are just simply to protracted.

Admittedly, I say this being the only person in the existence who hates the Half-Life series to begin with, but I've still played them.

Yeah yeah, I know there are a bunch of people who don't love everything about Half-Life. It's just that I'm always taken aback when someone actually says it. It's not you, it's me.

I too love Half-Life 2 but I must also agree that it was too long.

As for Portal 2, I say they keep it shorter then HL2 but longer than Portal 1.

Sweet as a nut, i wondered what happened to Tag! I guess the guys got scooped up by the portal team:D

It's become a little like de Blob! =)

Seriously though. It looks very good, but I DO fear a little that the whole Portal universe, with GlaDOS and that typical humor, is going to outstay its welcome with this sequel. Just imagine the end credits once again being a funny song sung by GlaDOS like Still Alive... except it wouldn't be at all the delightful surprise it was back then, but part of the formula. I shudder! =(

It's become a little like de Blob! =)

Seriously though. It looks very good, but I DO fear a little that the whole Portal universe, with GlaDOS and that typical humor, is going to outstay its welcome with this sequel. Just imagine the end credits once again being a funny song sung by GlaDOS like Still Alive... except it wouldn't be at all the delightful surprise it was back then, but part of the formula. I shudder! =(

The designers discussed that issue in the GameInformer article a while back. They made the same point that you did, that they'll never be able to reproduce the brilliant surprise and wonder at hearing Still Alive over the end credits, so they're not going to.

Apparently there are going to be several songs in this game, but they wouldn't say anything more.

Seriously though. It looks very good, but I DO fear a little that the whole Portal universe, with [...] like Still Alive... except it wouldn't be at all the delightful surprise it was back then, but part of the formula. I shudder! =(

I know exactly what you mean, but I'm quite confident Valve are clever enough not to fall into this trap.

Conspiracy theory time.

Based on the timing, it seems like Valve was convinced (by Sony or EA) to properly port the game to PS3. PS3 is a bitch and a half to develop for, but Sony might have tossed Valve a few consultants to get what they want out of the platform. I believe that this was a recent occurrence, that lead to the release date extension, and cancellation of Valve's event.

Considering how underwhelming this news is to the general public, to me is and indicator that it happened recently.

Also, IGN's direct feed videos are a bit better than the one above:

Bq2mZoKkqMw

mGlyQmmvj0w

Trailer intro = :tup:

Also is it me or was HL2 actually not that long a game at all? I thought it was about an average length really. I remember playing it over a really long period of time to try and savour it. Or was it longer than the 10–12 hours I'm recalling?

HL1 on the other hand feels positively endless in memory, though I could be totally wrong about that too.

Conspiracy theory time.

Based on the timing, it seems like Valve was convinced (by Sony or EA) to properly port the game to PS3. PS3 is a bitch and a half to develop for, but Sony might have tossed Valve a few consultants to get what they want out of the platform. I believe that this was a recent occurrence, that lead to the release date extension, and cancellation of Valve's event.

Considering how underwhelming this news is to the general public, to me is and indicator that it happened recently.

I think EA has been thrown a lot of money by Sony, whether it being a deal or something else, which would in turn affect Valve for Portal 2 and subsequent releases. Either way it's pretty good for those with only a PS3.

I'd agree it's recent, particularly with the announcement of tier 1 platforms with the Mac release of Steam. I'm assuming that it will be on a new Source engine.

Either way, Portal 2 will probably be great.

Hasn't valve been hiring ps3 developers for some time now? Also I doubt sony had much to do with getting valve to take the plunge. However I think the more open network probably helped wet the beak as it were. It is kinda crazy that they'll have steamworks support on a console game.

Clearly it was all the whining and crying ps3 fans do every single time someone mentions a valve game. :P

Oh and uh Portal 2, do want. Now.

I think the whole publisher, manufacture thing with Valve is grossly off base. BUt I don't have any other reasonable explanation other then steamworks on consoles is good business for Valve and if they could get it done with MS I'm sure they would have/will.

Those videos were pretty awesome, I'm still really curious how any one played portal or expect to play portal 2 on a console, my brain can't comprehend that.

Speaking of the Playstation'ers - I know there is lots of people that hate Valve over their comments and actions against the PS3 platform. Imagining this, I doubt many of them will support Valve ever, even with their games being ported over. Just a sad note :violin: