toblix

Rayman Origins

I often wonder whether digital prices have extra pressures on them to remain somewhat high around release. By which I mean that I'm curious whether the brick and mortar retailers often push publishers into making sure that the digital versions don't undercut the physical versions.

Is rayman origins worth 30 euro? I just finished the demo and I love the artwork. But I doubt I have the stamina to finish the game since I'm so horrible at platform games :(

Does anyone know if it has online co-op?

I'm pretty sure the co-op is all local, but I could be wrong because I have only played it solo on PS3.

But I do think the game is absolutely worth it. The level design is constantly fresh and I'd be willing to say that it's one of the best looking games I've played thanks to the art work. On top of that, it's fun. It gets a :tup: from me.

Co-optimus suggests the co-op is local only. It's not always right, but you should probably make sure.

Is rayman origins worth 30 euro? I just finished the demo and I love the artwork. But I doubt I have the stamina to finish the game since I'm so horrible at platform games :(

It is worth even more than 30 euros. Really great game and I'm super happy they made it on all possible modern platforms so everybody can get to enjoy it.

The PC demo won't detect/let me use my 360 controller:( Also, i seem to be playing as some sort of wizzard instead of rayman.

When you're at the beginning of the very first level in the demo, jump to the bubble where Rayman is dancing. That'll let you play as Rayman.

I want to buy this. I've finished the demo several times. Alas, no money. :(

My wired 360 controller worked fine, both in the demo and the full version.

Got it, I had to go to the controls menu and hit reset.

Oh well, its much better with the controller:) I love the mariachi music and the dancing.

The art style for the sequel is looking amazing:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-27-leaked-rayman-legends-wii-u-trailer-shows-graphics-touch-screen-nfc-tech

I'm a big fan of Origins, partially because it's a couch co-op game that makes me feel nostalgic for my youth, mostly because it has tight controls and a great aesthetic and attention to detail. I'm hoping Legends branches out from Wii-U as that pad looks all kinds of awkward.

The PC demo won't detect/let me use my 360 controller:( Also, i seem to be playing as some sort of wizzard instead of rayman.

Click the link that says "Rayman Origins" instead of the one that says "Trine 2".

With the more recent exception of Botanicula, I'm not sure I've ever fallen in love with a game so quickly. The look, sound and feel just ooze joy and creativity from every pore.

Even the tiny conveniences in pace (like quick fade-out restarts in place of overlong death animations or "try again?" menus) show a fundamental understanding of how to bring out the best in the genre.

It's worth adding that single player and co-op essentially seem like different experiences. I've only ever played it with company, where it has a wonderful knack for bringing unreserved cheers and shouts out of everyone in the room. Single player would inevitably be more challenging and calculated. Both equally worthwhile, I'm sure, but I did leave with the impression co-op was The Way God Intended.

Even if opportunities for local multiplayer are few and far between, this is easily a day 167 perch. I'm just so happy this game is allowed to exist.

Did everyone end up loving this game? I finally made it to this and it's so awesome. I'm doing all of the high scores and time trials as I finish each level, so I'm not proceeding as quick as most probably would. It's for the best though as the level will be fresh in my mind instead of going back after beating the game and cleaning up. I think I'm about two thirds through if the electoon count is anything to go by.

Every time I play this I get so addicted and exhausted at the same time. The difficulty curve is so slight but so smooth that every level kind of feels like a major step up in difficulty but you have a total handle on it. I think this is harder than the first Rayman but the checkpoints are very common so it balances out. Plus the checkpoints are more of a strategy on getting enough lums per level as you purposefully die multiple times until you get the hang of the timing and secrets to get as many lums per area.

I'm not a big fan of the treasure chase levels though. So far they are harder than any time trial in the game I've played so far as they require you to be so precise and on time for a sustained period of time. You mess up and it's over. I probably average about 30 tries per treasure level at this point and it's pretty strange that these levels are required to finish the game.

Also I love all of the nods to Rayman 1, including some notes of the music appearing here and there. It kind of combined the lore of Rayman 2, but it pretty much feels like every Rayman game the story is completely rebooted and has nothing to do with the game before outside of some reoccuring characters. Also the title is fucking stupid? Why is it called Origins? There's no such trace of an origin story or really any story in this. That's fine and all but the name is super cliched for no reason. Legends is even worse.

I also don't know how well co-op works in this. Seems like if you want to 100% the game, co-op is pretty useless and you'd have to replay every level alone otherwise. Everyone would just mess up the secrets and timed sequences.

I'm also not going to lie, I love looking at the very round and sexy fairies.

I adored every single moment of Rayman Origins, played it all in co-op and it was simply fabulous from start to finish.  Been waiting to pick up Legends once the price drops some. 

I'm not sure I had ever played a Rayman game before, but my wife remembered really liking the early games so that's why we got Origins. 

I just jumped back into this game recently. I still haven't beaten it, but I get so caught up in 100% completing every level. One of my very favorite platformers, a genre that's already crowded with favorites for me.

Also, one of these days the gaming world is going to recognize Christophe Heral as one of the greatest music composers in all of video games. He did the music for Origins and Legends as well as Beyond Good & Evil, and it's all incredible.

Yep, Origins is great.

The treasure levels only unlock a super-hard post-game level; they're not on the critical path at all.

Apparently this game was intended to be an origin story for Rayman, but once announced they decided to make it Rayman 4, and then they decided to cut out all the plot. There's a whole bunch of dialogue that dataminers unearthed that explains that this was supposed to be either the origin story of the series' Big Bad, and then that the villain was a massive fan of the Big Bad all along.

The treasure levels only unlock a super-hard post-game level; they're not on the critical path at all.

Ah okay, I thought that was the final level or something. I read something in the manual thinking that the point was to collect the teeth.

Apparently this game was intended to be an origin story for Rayman, but once announced they decided to make it Rayman 4, and then they decided to cut out all the plot. There's a whole bunch of dialogue that dataminers unearthed that explains that this was supposed to be either the origin story of the series' Big Bad, and then that the villain was a massive fan of the Big Bad all along.

Ah weird, I'm going to look for the dialogue. Do you have any links as well? It's kind of strange to hear this one had another abandoned concept after the possible brilliance of the original Raving Rabbids. That game is strange in the manner in which many assets and characters obviously didn't belong to a party game but were repurposed and never seen again in the Rabbids or Rayman universe.

I remember being superstoked about Raving Rabbids before it turned into... what it is. ):

Ah okay, I thought that was the final level or something. I read something in the manual thinking that the point was to collect the teeth.

Ah weird, I'm going to look for the dialogue. Do you have any links as well? It's kind of strange to hear this one had another abandoned concept after the possible brilliance of the original Raving Rabbids. That game is strange in the manner in which many assets and characters obviously didn't belong to a party game but were repurposed and never seen again in the Rabbids or Rayman universe.

I'm drawing my information from the Rayman wiki: http://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Rayman_Origins#Development

I just jumped back into this game recently. I still haven't beaten it, but I get so caught up in 100% completing every level. One of my very favorite platformers, a genre that's already crowded with favorites for me.

Also, one of these days the gaming world is going to recognize Christophe Heral as one of the greatest music composers in all of video games. He did the music for Origins and Legends as well as Beyond Good & Evil, and it's all incredible.

Oh, he did this did he? That's another incentive for me then because the Beyond Good & Evil soundtrack is definitely one of my favourites.

The treasure levels and the level they guarded are all some of my favorite content from the game.  The could be frustrating since they required near perfection to get through, but that sense of flow, joy and relief once you nailed one of them was perfect.

I've just gone back and tried to 100% Rayman Legends. I've got silver cups in every level, but getting gold in some of the invaded levels is ridiculous.

I was the same with Origins, I tried to get everything as I progressed, got about half-way through and decided I just needed to progress. I should go back and try to finish it properly.

I got 100% in Rayman Legends, including level 11 Awesomeness, which took months. There was one invaded level, and one trophy for completing one level without being hit, that I got only towards the end. I was getting platinum cups in the dailies by that point.