toblix

Rayman Origins

Yeah, it does look really sweet.

I think this actually does deserve it's own thread. I did write about it in the morning to the Beyond Better & Evil thread, but it propably gets drowned there.

The rumours that we heard previously seem to point this in Ancel's direction, but there are no facts yet as far as I know.

I think, at the press conference they said it was Ancel and like a team of 5 people. I thought it looked damn sweet. Beautiful animation and art.

The Ubi conf had a bunch of wahja shit though... Rayman definitely stuck in my mind as the most memorable game of that whole thing.

Yeah, I think Ancel and his team have created some sort of game-making tool, and as a proof of concept used that tool to create this game.

Animation looks a little... not that great, I guess. Zoomed out, looks fine, but up close it seems pretty... Flash-y.

Art is fantastic, though. Will buy (if it comes to PC, since I no longer have XBLA or PSN available to me).

Animation looks a little... not that great, I guess. Zoomed out, looks fine, but up close it seems pretty... Flash-y.

Could you elaborate? Are you talking about frame rates, or do things move all tweeny?

FUCKING YES!

So I've been on a short vacation and this morning I see this!

This news is grand indeed! The art direction is so great! I agree with Twig a little on the animation, way too many paper doll tweens in some animations, but that's what the people do to save the money now, so oh well.

This is so great though. I know Rayman Origins might be stupid to some, because why does this weird guy need a back story? But it was always hinted at in the first two Rayman games, Rayman 2 especially. I also remember hearing the original Rayman Rabbids was supposed to delve more into the back story and why the land is the way it is, since almost any kind of story or world progression was sidetracked in Rayman 3, so it's good that this stuff finally will come out.

It also looks like the gameplay will be derivative of Rayman 1, and it sucks that has been the only 2D platformer Rayman game. All we've had since then is the original 2D Rayman 2 prototype level and the handheld ports, which vary in quality greatly.

I like the nod to the camerman in Rayman 1 as well as Globox's return to form. Maybe Polokus will show up.

Amazing, I've never been this excited for a game in a while now. I guess I was a much bigger Rayman fanboy than I thought.

My favourite thing of E3 so far. Can't wait to start slapping a statue in the face with my friend. Has the co-op been confirmed yet?

I didn't own a Rayman game back in the day but played the first one a lot at a friend's place. I only started missing the games when they were gone.

I'm assuming it's co-op just because it would seem weird not to have it looking at the emphasis on Globox being around.

It's also possible Globox might just follow you around as an AI character like in other Rayman games.

Very interesting art-style indeed. For some reason when I see "Origins" I think of Wolverine Origins which is like the complete opposite of what this game conveys - happiness, bright colors, fun versus gritty, dark, violence.

I have only briefly played Rayman a couple times, mostly the third one - just another thing on my Backlog.

Time to replay Rayman on Sega Saturn and Rayman 2 on Dreamcast. :)

Could you elaborate? Are you talking about frame rates, or do things move all tweeny?

I dunno, I don't know fancy-schmancy animation terms. But, like, in the very beginning of the trailer, when Rayman first appears and he's crouching, looking down, his hair is hanging over his face. It kind of shakes a little. But it doesn't look like a "real" (in quotes 'cause I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about) animation - it looks like they're just kind of... stretching the hair image around a bit. Shaking it.

It looks way better when Rayman's just running around punching shit, though, so maybe I'm just being overly nitpicky. (I do this sometimes.)

Regardless, I am still super excited this game exists and has such a great art style. I hope it comes to PC!

The characters are totally drawn and animated within Flash. That's not a bad thing, but it's very noticeable stylistically.

I really dislike that sloppy Macromedia vector look. But this stuff doesn't seem to suffer any due to it.

I physically shouted out yes for this during the live stream. I think a lower price point works well for 2d platformers (not by Nintendo) at this point, look at 'Splosion man, Megaman, etc. It's going to be interesting to see if an episodic model works for it, with both this and Sonic 4.

I want to add how bloody gorgeous this thing is, particularly the backgrounds.

I thought it was going to be on PC, but I knew a Wii release wasn't coming. The press release still does leave the possibility of a later Wiiware release though. Besides porting and all that, their excuse for the art doesn't make sense because the graphics could be output at a lower resolution.

I'm okay with the episodic format, but I just hope the game doesn't get lost in sales because of it. Sonic is Sonic, people will buy that shit no matter what crap is put out in the series, but I still feel like Rayman has a hard time existing or being profitable (except with those Rabbids).

There also hasn't been any Rayman game on either 360 or PS3 besides a port of the original Rabbids game and I think the rerelease of Rayman 1 in the PSN store. So I wonder how familiar the character or series might be with some.

Long silence ends and Rayman Origins has now changed into a full retail game, sadly still only for Xbox and Playstation. Release window at the end of this year.

No Steam release in sight.

It's good that the game gets a full retail release, Ancel gets more space to use art assets etc.

Games led by Ancel sure do seem to take a while to surface. The news on this game has gotten much too silent for my liking over the past year.

His only quick turnaround I can think of is the Kong game.

Even the original Rayman had gone through an SNES iteration before finally making it's way to newer 32 bit systems:

rayman-snes.jpg

I wish there was more shots of this because it's incredibly bizarre.

Interesting, retailers are putting pre-order pages for this for Xbox, Playstation AND Wii (and DS). 15th November to be the North American region release date according to Amazon.

I might get to play this after all.

Neat.