Salka

Tim on TechTV

Turn on TechTV now! Tim Schafer is on! And saying stuff about Psychonauts!

Hurry! You'll miss the good bit!

Like me. I miss the entire show. I don't HAVE techTV.

But if you do, turn it on, like, about... NOW.

Okay, it's over. Is anybody gonna put together a transcript for everybody WITHOUT techTV? Or upload the interview? Or something?

Because a little birdie told me that he was talking about where he got the idea for Psychonauts, and I wanna hear that.

The last time he was on Discovery for like 2.3 seconds, someone made that whole documentary available as a torrent. Hopefully someone was kind enough to record this appearance as well.

another chapter in embarrassing questions: wtf is techtv? some kind of telestation? i have no idea what are you writing about.

TechTV is ... a TeleVision station about Tech[nology stuff].

It now also incorporates the game television network G4, which is good when they're doing documentary-style stuff with voiceovers, but sucks horribly when it features studio presentations. They have that whole "yo, all you kids out there, sup?!" attitude, with shows that are called Sweat, Blister,Fresh Gear, Game Sauce, and so on. :shifty:

G4 crews are also horribly annoying at trade shows.

is there another way in watching techtv than turning on my tv set? i can only receive few english channels (enough for jay leno and cnn news but obviously too less for specific stuff like techtv)...

is it streamable? (what a dumb, nonexistent word)

I have G4TechTV on my digital cable tier. You can go to G4techTV.com but I haven't found the Schafer thing yet. Any idea what show it was?

I agree with Marek that the best shows on this channel are the ones without hosts (Icons, Cinematech).

They have that whole "yo, all you kids out there, sup?!" attitude...

I was watching a show titled 'Cheat', or something equally self-descriptive, and you should have heard how the ultra-nerdy, ultra-white host was talking when he was revealing all the amazing cheats available on Def Jam Vendetta.

He spoke... as if he was from the streets... or somewhere within close proximity of.

G4 is the kind of thing you'd watch only at 5:30 in the morning when your red, watery eyes can't stand to watch another infommercial.

Plus, the proliferation of $tr33t-WiZ3 asian hosts makes their connections to actual gaming seem tenuous at best.

Okay, I downloaded a show on LucasArts, but Tim Schafer wasn't in it. On the other hand, he was mentioned more times than anybody else, including George Lucas. And for some bizarre reason, he got credited for Monkey Island 3, AGAIN. You would think these guys would do their research.

Dave Grossman was in it though. So it was all worth it.

Erm wait, so ... Fate of Atlantis was the first game with dialog? Interesting. It's funny how G4 didn't bother with savegames or anything and just recorded the first 5 minutes of all the games, heh.

Oh man Simon J :frown:, Tom Sarris :frown:.

The whole George Lucas thing at the end is a load of shit.

The guy doing the voiceover needs to be shot.

It was an incredibly shallow show. It skimmed over the surface.

just for keeping a little tiny bit of their faith in journalism alive...

tim is credited in cmi (in additional design - that says my cmi-manual). okay, of course not as one of the "leading-forces" (how could he while becoming insane with his baby grim fandango? ;) ), but he is credited. so it's not a complete lie, but a half...ahm...fourth...hmm...eight-truth. yes.

Well, maybe so. But can anybody defend the way that guy pronounces the title of MI2?

LAY-chucks RIV-enge?

When I heard that pronunciation I worried, for a moment, that I'd been saying 'LeChuck' wrong all these years, that I'd been living a lie, and I panicked. But then I realised the presenter was most likely an idiot. I'd also always wondered if I knew how to pronounce 'Tim Schafer', but the Gamespot video of him at Double Fine put my mind at rest there.

That Insider show was a very shallow show, and even of the few facts it did contain, some were wrong, but it was kind of neat to see people like Mike Stemmle talk about stuff like Full Throttle, on TV. Hopefully one day, when games are a revered artform, we'll have hour-long 'Behind The Music'-style documentaries on this kind of stuff.

Okay, I'm going to complain about that show a LITTLE more. It mentioned that LucasArts had lost some of the magic in recent years. It KEPT mentioning the 'downward spiral' or something like that, while playing a clip of Ben crashing his bike in Full Throttle. It seemed to be suggesting LucasArts was indeed a magical, awesome company back in Ye Olde Days.

And then it ended. WTF? I thought it was going to go into the LucasArts staff layoffs, and the relentless production of Star Wars Tripe, and the slow halt in the production of Adventure Games, the genre that LEC was built on! And what the hell? How many seconds of Grim Fandango did it show? It seemed to start off with the intent of showing how crap LucasArts has become, and then halfway through it forgot what it was about and just ended it with a picture of George Lucas.

I found it appropriate that it all began and ended with 'Mister' Lucas.

I guess his kids must like Star Wars games a lot.

It seemed to be suggesting LucasArts was indeed a magical, awesome company back in Ye Olde Days.

And then it ended. WTF?

Given LucasArts' policy of insisting that magazines credit screenshots from their games, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the only way they could get permission to use the game images. But then I'm cynical.

And then it ended. WTF? I thought it was going to go into the LucasArts staff layoffs, and the relentless production of Star Wars Tripe, and the slow halt in the production of Adventure Games, the genre that LEC was built on! And what the hell? How many seconds of Grim Fandango did it show? It seemed to start off with the intent of showing how crap LucasArts has become, and then halfway through it forgot what it was about and just ended it with a picture of George Lucas.

Yeah it was a pretty abrupt ending, the show was pretty buzarre all-around, because it was more of a montage of some footage and no real insider look into Lucasarts. It was just that annoying announcer wasting time. :hmph:

It was just that annoying announcer wasting time. :hmph:

That's all anything is on G4, to what I've noticed...

Edit: Oh my God, this is post #13. What am I going to do?