Sign in to follow this  
juv3nal

Child of Eden

Oh man. I was SO not planning on picking up any 360/PS3 motion control silliness, but...but...

8EfjJeRzQ5M

Holy shit. I have no idea what that is, but I instantly want it. I wish to CONSUME it. WITH MY MIND.

See, here's the problem.

*Child of Eden trailer* DO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT

*Ubisoft Lasertag* FUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

They sort of canceled each other out.

This screams tech demo. Sure, it looks cool, but was basically just pretty pictures and nice music. They only showed a few second of the guy who was presumably controlling the thing, and what they did show, made it look incredibly imprecise. Also, I assume it is a Natal (or Kinect, or whatever) demo, so why does it look like he is playing on an enormous MS Surface?

I haven't been watching coverage; are there more videos of this somewhere? Do they actually explain some of the context? Suggest why this might be fun to play? I hesitate to write this off based on one video, but what they showed doesn't amount to much.

Oh, and ditto about the "Fuck Ubisoft" comment. Shame that. They used to be one of my favorite developers.

Oh, and ditto about the "Fuck Ubisoft" comment. Shame that. They used to be one of my favorite developers.

I've kept watching their conference in the hopes they'll "recapture my imagination" with "games I can (f---ing) feel".

Project Dust screamed at the god-game centers of my brain "POPULOUS!" I'm intrigued.

This screams tech demo. Sure, it looks cool, but was basically just pretty pictures and nice music. They only showed a few second of the guy who was presumably controlling the thing, and what they did show, made it look incredibly imprecise. Also, I assume it is a Natal (or Kinect, or whatever) demo, so why does it look like he is playing on an enormous MS Surface?

I haven't been watching coverage; are there more videos of this somewhere? Do they actually explain some of the context? Suggest why this might be fun to play? I hesitate to write this off based on one video, but what they showed doesn't amount to much.

One word: Rez.

One word: Rez.

Basically that's what sold me on it. I just want a Rez that pushes what current gen consoles can do graphically. Of course I would prefer if it were playable without the silly motion control, but still.

I'm happy that at least a game like this is being made that isn't just some gimmicky Wii Sports ripoff

Mizuguchi gave a demo of the game during Ubisoft's conference - about five minutes of play. Here's the video (skip to 1:23:30): http://www.gametrailers.com/e3/livefeed/ubisoft

So yeah, it's Rez basically (or at the very least), and if that alone isn't enough to suggest why this will be fun to play then I guess you're not a pretty pictures and nice music type of guy. Fair enough, move along.

Also, it does support traditional controllers as well.

Btw, here's the official site: http://child-of-eden.us.ubi.com/

Also, it does support traditional controllers as well.

Awesome.

On other news I love playing Rez with the VGA mode enabled on my old trusty Dreamcast. Only thing missing is a widescreen mode.

Oh I wish this Child of Eden would come to all the three consoles, that looks really cool. (I'm starting to sound like broken record when the Wii misses games like this)

I think Mizuguchi, my old idol doesn't really like the Wii. He hasn't created even one game for it, but he doesn't hate Nintendo as his company has supported the DS with good games.

Actually there was some project he was rumored to be working on for the Wii, but that was something like 1,5 years ago that I last heard of it.

Jeez, this Child of Eden should be played like in that trailer, in a huge room where all the walls project the game and every wave of your hands transforms in to the game.

Oh my god, I want it so bad. Which platform this plays better on will determine which motion thingy I buy...

If they can pull it off it'll be pretty incredible.

That is the only game so far that has piqued my interest; What I can't understand is why Ubisoft haven't taken End War and added Kinect/Move support? To me it seems to be the most natural step. I would love to be able to play a paired down strategy game on a console, End War would be perfect as it was already into the voice recognition stuff...

Sony have gotten their marketing more right than Microsoft by implementing Move into games that their existing audience might be interested in forking out the money for. Instead Microsoft have gone for the audience that haven't bought their console (the casual Wii owners) and as a result I don't really think it is going to work.

Seriously, all they would have to do is release two or three decent turn based strategy games on XBLA with Kinect as the main controls, a couple of updates to some puzzle games (Lumines, Puzzle Quest) and then some gimmicky Geometry Wars sequel with support for it and I would be there. Sure I might be in the minority on this one but pretty much everyone I know who already owns a 360 and therefore should be Microsoft's target audience is just sort of embarrassed by this.

I think Mizuguchi, my old idol doesn't really like the Wii. He hasn't created even one game for it, but he doesn't hate Nintendo as his company has supported the DS with good games.

Actually there was some project he was rumored to be working on for the Wii, but that was something like 1,5 years ago that I last heard of it.

I don't know. Miyamoto had a personal demonstration of Child of Eden at E3. I think more than anything it has a lot to do with the fact that Q? is a fairly small outfit and a lot of this kind of stuff depends on sales / publishers giving them money to do things. They expressed an interest to port Rez to the Playstation 3 as well, and asked if people would be interested on Twitter, but it's hard to know how much that'd cost and sell.

I was at a conference dinner with Mizuguchi a couple of years ago and he told me about his rough ideas for a Rez successor. At the time he thought Wii wouldn't be the right platform because he sees 'Rez 2' as being this really high def audiovisual experience, which the 360/PS3 fit more naturally.

I don't think he hates the Wii or anything. :)

eurogamer preview

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/child-of-eden-preview

The controls are delightful: playful and elegant, with three different kinds of attack ranging from a paint-and-release system familiar to anyone who's played Rez (you release by waving), a rapid-fire mode where shots constantly nibble at whatever's under the cursor, and a sort of smart bomb triggered by throwing up both hands in victory, which the developers, naturally, have taken to referring to as the Happy Bomb. The reticule moves smoothly, and has a pleasing hint of weight to it, as if Mizuguchi is pushing it through as much as over something, and you change your attack style - this is brilliant - by clapping your hands.

Happy Bomb! :clap:

I can actually picture them shouting BANZAI!!! as they're raising their arms.

I'm actually puzzled why Mizuguchi was wearing gloves during the presentation. Was it to make it easier for Kinect or the audience to follow his moves?

I *want* to like this game but am having trouble accepting it. It's Rez without any innovation. Even the boss in the tech demo is VERY similar to a boss in Rez. Even the MUSIC was less inspiring than Rez :(

Well it's the NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams conundrum, isn't it. Hugely offbeat, hugely loved game gets token sequel that semi-tries to liven things up with motion controls that only "philosophically" make for more natural, dynamic interaction.

Motion controls as they are today can definitely be used to great effect, but there's still something decidedly mechanical about them, which is in stark contrast to the romantic ideas these developers/creators get when theorizing about them.

I have no doubt that Kinect on paper and in the way that Mizu thinks about it is a major step closer to realising the original intent with Rez, and as such, Child of Eden is a significant "sequel". Of course, in reality, the motion controls implementation may fall flat, NiGHTS 2 style, and what you're left with amounts to little more than a re-run.

A really pretty, really awesome sounding re-run that'll still make me pee my pants with excitement, admittedly.

After having listened to Chris on the GWJ podcast it is interesting to see how his opinion differs to mine.

I think that Microsoft should take the hardware upgrade approach and try to be getting an attach rate amongst its existing audience. Certainly the quota of 'hardcore' has sort of reached its apex but now that they have been tied in to a console surely it makes sense to milk that audience for more money?

That said, something that is certainly true is the 'something new' approach. Move is just the Wii Remote all over again. One of the Human resources people at my place of work who is 40, married, with kids and doesn't play more than the occasional Wii Sports came up to the guy sitting next to me and asked him all about kinect. It was something that captured her imagination. So, fuck, maybe Microsoft know what they are doing.

I could have sworn I posted another reply here but I can't find it now.

What I was going to say, is that I'm not against pretty pictures and nice music. I actually think it looks kind of cool, but with something like Kinect, that doesn't handle like a tradition controller, showing some gameplay footage isn't enough for people to understand how the game works. Even the video that showed a guy playing Child of Eden wasn't particularly useful: it just looked like a dude waving his hands around. It wasn't clear how his hand movements translated into inputs to the game.

I did want to mention though, that the latest Weekend Confirmed podcast has a segment where they talk about Child of Eden, including how it controls. If I understood it correctly, you use your right hand to shoot, and left hand to lock onto targets. There was also something about "sweeping" I think, but I didn't get that (they said it was related to something from Rez, which I haven't played).

It sounds like it could work, but I'm not sure that it would be worth $60. Hopefully, they'll be smart and package it with Kinect. Unless it's supposed to be an XBLA title?

Garden, it's multiplat with controller support so that they can reach everyone. I imagine it is a downloadable title at around $15.

twmac, if PS Move = Wiimote, then Kinect = PS Eye (or even Eyetoy of the PS2 era). It's all a matter of how it's packaged and sold, but don't forget that Move and Kinect are more precise than both their predecessors.