Ben X

Scott Pilgrim [video game]

So now we have this comic that certain people will think less of you if you never gave it a chance, probably not so much with the regular Thumbs, but you know.

If it helps, syntheticgerbil, that isn't why I think less of you at this point at all. I mean, I'm very sorry that friends of yours liked Juno - I understand that must have been very traumatic for you, and you were absolutely right to cut them out of your life. I'm very sorry, also, that some more people you know are letting you down by being enthusiastic about some comic books. I hope that when you explain what happened to the people who liked Juno, they will dial it down. However, I don't think this is an appropriate or therapeutic safe space to deal with those feelings of betrayal.

On the plus side, the experience of being called Mr. Defensive, without apparent irony, by somebody who has just written:

So now we have this comic that certain people will think less of you if you never gave it a chance, probably not so much with the regular Thumbs, but you know. You can't shrug off a piece of media for failing to tickle any of your bits of fancy once it's been hyped to the teeth, because then everyone expects you to somehow at least try to be in tune with this vehicle that everyone else is currently lest you become the asshole that hates everything.

has kicked my day off with a smile.

Edited by Denial

Holy crap, I just dropped into the last few pages here to see what people thought of the game. I'll quietly back away now.

The culture warring going on in this thread seems to have gotten super intense. I don't understand how this property seems to be the most polarizing pop culture thing on the internet in a while. The strangest thing is nerds bashing it for being a hipster thing, and hipsters bashing it for being a nerd thing. You'd think there'd be a bit more mutual understanding between people, but I guess that's a pretty foreign concept on the interwebs.

In the end, I guess nobody wins except Eat, Pray, Love. I hope you're happy with your Fat Princess style downloadable game tie-in.

Holy crap, I just dropped into the last few pages here to see what people thought of the game. I'll quietly back away now.

Game, what game? There is only a movie based on a comic that only pinko commie nazis loves! If there was a game you'd have be a commie to love it, even though the game is solid enough to stand on it's own it doesn't matter, you're worse than Hilter, Jack the Ripper and Jack Thompson combined for liking it!

Do I even need to point out I'm being sarcastic?

Oh right, games, okay in an attempt to actually get this back on track maybe before the yelling starts again...

Thinking about it, this may be the only comic book/movie game tie in that actually brings something new and interesting to the table that isn't in the property it's based off of. I mean, the gameplay is an "homage" some say bordering rip-off of River City Ransom, but by the same token it's pretty solid. In addition to that, the art and music direction are both different and yet completely appropriate for the IP.

In a world where most tie-in games range from middling to hollow husks of a game, I'd say this is pretty incredible. At the very least, it doesn't lack a distinct personality.

Back ontopic, this was apparently partly Bryan Lee O'Malley's idea - the idea for the game (for which he has a creative consultant credit) was to make it feel like a goofy movie adaptation of the early 90s, when studios didn't really have a handle on games and they were not really seen as part of the revenue stream. So, you'd get the film farmed out to some programmers who didn't know the IP, and they'd create something tangentially related to the film. ET is obviously the most horrifying example of this, but it also created the SNES Tim Burton Batman tie-in. Whereas the Ocean Software Batman adaptation for European machines was remarkably faithful, the SNES version had Batman firing harpoons at robots and was by all accounts awesome.

I understand that must have been very traumatic for you, and you were absolutely right to cut them out of your life. I'm very sorry, also, that some more people you know are letting you down by being enthusiastic about some comic books. I hope that when you explain what happened to the people who liked Juno, they will dial it down. However, I don't think this is an appropriate or therapeutic safe space to deal with those feelings of betrayal.

I don't know if you are mocking me or not, but that stupid Diablo Cody movie was just a part of long running failure to connect with my former so-called friends. Yeah, this isn't the place for that, but that is just my experience everytime with people who go for hyped goods. They just end up, "too cool for school" I guess, since I can't think of anything better to say.

Also, I should note, I think you took my slam against Oni Press maybe harder than I meant earlier. I do own a few Oni Press books, as well as many Double Feature issues, but my experience with them, what they market, and the kind of mediocre stuff they put out has not been good. While all indie comic publishers do this with several books, they almost exclusively carry books that market well to junk and fairweathered culture type. That is to say though, if I ever get around to forcing myself to create a few of these comic ideas I have half started or floating around, I would not hesitate to submit to Oni for publishing.

I bought the 360 version this morning and have played through the first two levels. So far I'm very impressed by the amount of fan-service they've managed to cram in, and the amount and variety of unique sprites they created. It's great to see so many characters from the books rendered so well, and the game seems fine too.

One problem I've run into that I don't think PS3 users were experiencing (or not to the same degree, anyway) is the game hanging and dropping a few frames every few minutes. It's not a big deal, but it's kind of annoying, and it seems to happen whenever there's a lot going on, which will make getting the achievement for finishing a stage without getting hit a bitch. Unfortunately this game seems to just be cursed with technical problems, but for the price it's still a steal as far as I'm concerned.

That hitch isn't on purpose?

Played the game... It is good, I don't know anything about the comics or film. What I do know about is bugs and this game has lots of them.

If you get hit during certain animations you won't be able to pick up any weapons until you die. My buddy had the game crash on him while remaining idle in the pause menu.

During a Co-Op playthrough my housemate died just before we beat the first boss. Then on finishing the boss he was awarded the achievement for not getting hit during the entire World preceding the Boss.

That said I am still having fun and I am glad that they are charging 800 points for it.

EDIT: I am playing this on X360

2nd EDIT: Holy sweet Jesus, fuck. What the hell happened in the last couple of pages? When did this thread turn into the kind of stuff I expect to read in the comments thread on Kotaku? Also please leave Jim Mahfood out of it, his story lines might not be the best but I am very fond of his art work and doodles.

Edited by twmac

The only problem I've had on PS3 is the really slow menus. Sometimes you press start and you are waiting and waiting but nothing happens, and with no indication it just pops up all of a sudden.

I also had some problems with the 360 version. Frame drops were noticeable, and at least 3 times I got stuck at a screen and could not advance, so had to start the level completely over.

I am not super experienced with the beat-em-up genre, having not played a game like this since the Sega Genesis era, but I think it's too hard single player. I get that this genre is known for its difficulty, but on "Normal Joe" difficulty I even found it too frustrating to spend much time on. I think the big issue is that the enemies take too long to defeat. The levels aren't too long, but it takes too long to get through them and it's too annoying to have to redo the entire level when you lose all your lives, especially on the bosses.