Sign in to follow this  
jennoa

Road Trip

So, I'm going to be going to Orlando next week to pick up a car for a family member, and taking it back to Colorado. (the benefits of being unemployed?) Since I have nothing better to do, and no real time frame on the return, does anyone have some suggestions on sites I should see and places to visit on the return trip?

Grand Canyon and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Unfortunately I have already been to the Grand Canyon, cool place by the way. It would also be a bit out of the way; I'd need to drive past my destination.

The rock and roll hall of fame on the other hand wouldn't be a bad idea.

I just named some stereotypical places to see. I don't know if they're any good. In fact, I've never even been on the continent. Having said that, I'm sure the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is great.

haha, so is the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on the same level of being known as the Grand Canyon by people living outside of the United States?

I don't think so. I doubt it. I would've suggested the Grand Canyon and The World's Largest Ball of Twine.

You could hit the music cities (Memphis and Nashville) if blues and country appeal to you.

Also, the World's Largest Ball of Twine would be on the way (it's in Kansas).

Sold, World's Largest Ball of Twine here I come!

I was definitely planing on making a pitstop over in Tennessee. Though not a fan of country, I like blues well enough.

Hold it! The world's largest ball of twine exists? I thought that it was something from the fevered imagination of Steve Purcell.

Hold it! The world's largest ball of twine exists? I thought that it was something from the fevered imagination of Steve Purcell.

Be amazed at American ingenuity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biggest_ball_of_twine

There's tons of these weird things all across America. They're usually near campgrounds where families spent their summer vacation. When I was in Wisconsin Dells ("Where Nature and Fun Collide!™" aka "The Waterpark Capital of The World!®") I was amazed at how many "museums" there were that were filled with junk like this. Also at how many incredible claims there were to both American achievements and to Wisconsin Dell's own achievements (apparently the world's first shutter camera was invented there -- something I still don't know if to take seriously).

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

They've also got a huge NASA center in Alabama somewhere.

Is there? I went to the Kenndy Space Center over in Cape Canaveral today, that was both awe-inspiring and depressing. I got the feeling that nobody had any goal to strive fore there.

The Ringling Art Museum/Circus History thing in Sarasota is pretty excellent. The Leu Gardens in Orlando are great if you're into... that kind of stuff. Little Vietnam in East Orlando is pretty nice if you want to get some good lunch. If you're passing through Jacksonville, Clark's Fish Camp is great for fresh seafood for lunch/dinner.

Beyond that, nothing springs to mind. Hope I replied in time for you to catch stuff!

Is Tempe, Arizona on the way? If so, go to the Big Bang duelling piano bar, ask for Big Ben and tell 'em Little Ben sent you.

Is Tempe, Arizona on the way? If so, go to the Big Bang duelling piano bar, ask for Big Ben and tell 'em Little Ben sent you.

I've been there! It was awhile ago though. Tempe would be a bit out of the way for this trip. Another time!

The Ringling Art Museum/Circus History thing in Sarasota is pretty excellent. The Leu Gardens in Orlando are great if you're into... that kind of stuff. Little Vietnam in East Orlando is pretty nice if you want to get some good lunch. If you're passing through Jacksonville, Clark's Fish Camp is great for fresh seafood for lunch/dinner.

Beyond that, nothing springs to mind. Hope I replied in time for you to catch stuff!

It was too late for the Orlando suggestions, but I stopped in Jacksonville. Yeah, Clark's was pretty great.

I went all the way up to Savannah today, that wasn't really my intention, I just kept driving.:mock:

It was too late for the Orlando suggestions, but I stopped in Jacksonville. Yeah, Clark's was pretty great.

I went all the way up to Savannah today, that wasn't really my intention, I just kept driving.:mock:

Savannah is a pretty nice psuedo-little town. I guess it kinda shows something about me that many of my suggestions are food related, but Paula Deen's restaurant in Savannah is sweet.

Savannah is a pretty nice psuedo-little town. I guess it kinda shows something about me that many of my suggestions are food related, but Paula Deen's restaurant in Savannah is sweet.

Sounds good, I'll go check it out tomorrow.