Sign in to follow this  
Inphidel

Injuries That Prevented Gaming.

So recently I've sustained a rather large wound in my left forearm (cut into my muscle) rendering my 'aswd' fingers unable to operate optimally.

(long story short my army went through some glass and 25 stitches later I'm stuck with point and click games.)

So this got me thinking, have anyone else in here ever gotten a similar wound, broken fingers or such to prevent normal gaming habits? and how did you cope?

I prolly should post this in the questions for idle thumbs thread eh? :P

I had a penis sprain and I couldn't play Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball for a month! :(

In all seriousness, I haven't ever had a problem besides the ocassional blister on my thumb :tmeh: or the the time I broke my left arm long ago.

my army[/b] went through some glass and 25 stitches later I'm stuck with point and click games.)

Toy soldiers?

btw' date=' you can also play simulation like games. Evil Genius comes highly recommended. Or Commandos/Desperados.

I had a penis sprain and I couldn't play Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball for a month! :(

LOL

You owe me a beer and a clean monitor.

I've never really been into injuries, I find them constraining.

Yeah, likewise, nothing that has prevented me from gaming. I once had a sprained thumb that definitely took longer to heal (about 6 months) than it would have done if I didn't have a DS.

In my younger days, I have played some silly button mashing console game or other so much I've gotten blisters. Which is embarrassing enough a thing to admit on its own, I guess, but what's worse is that I can't even remember what game it was that I was so obsessed with.

Well, I just had a Grand Mal seizure, and dislocated my arms, that's stopping me from gaming.

Disclaimer: that might not be how you spell Grand Mal.

Well, I just had a Grand Mal seizure, and dislocated my arms, that's stopping me from gaming.

It. . .is.

Ouch? Man, you alright other than. . .arms?

It. . .is.

Ouch? Man, you alright other than. . .arms?

Yup, I'm fine, the seizure was basically my fault; staying up late despite knowing I was prone to seizures. Protip: that's an extremely stupid thing to do. :fart:

Same thing for Persona 4.

I kid, I kid.

In all seriousness I have a friend who obliterated his shoulder and had his arm in a sling and continued to play games through a combination of dangerously strong painkillers and determination.

I've had RSI on my mouse fingers. I don't really play many games that need incredible precision, so it didn't really stop me playing anything. Just made it slightly uncomfortable, I suppose.

Holy fuck, I hope that doesn't happen to you often :eek:

LOL

You owe me a beer and a clean monitor.

I can probably handle the beer, but I don't know about the monitor part.

I don't know anything about this, I'm about to research what happened to you, but it sounds awful!

EDIT: So do you have epilepsy?

I had a really nasty blister when I tried to get good enough to compete with my friends at Super Turbo Street Fighter 2 on SNES. The damn thing engulfed my entire thumb.

I gave up.

I've thankfully avoided too many injuries in my life. I do occasionally get migraine with aura, more in the past than now. Being effectively blind in one eye and seeing swirly colours makes it difficult to play anything, watch anything or read anything. It's annoying, since those would be nice ways to relax while not being able to do much else like work.

I've damaged my palm by spinning the analog stick as fast as possible in one of the Mario Party games on the N64, but that's the only one I can recall.

A combination of Super Streetfighter 2 and Speedball 2 resulted in me being unable to thumb a D-Pad properly for about 4 weeks it was nasty when the blister popped.

I err, also got bitten really badly in the arm about 2 years ago which resulted in the fingers and thumb on my left hand not working properly for about a month, with me getting weird spasms for a few months after.

Epilepsy is brutal to witness, my cousin suffers from it. Dislocating your arms as a result... Ouch.

Holy fuck, I hope that doesn't happen to you often :eek:

Not really, it's happened once before, when I was 13 and on no anti-seizure medication. As I said, it was pretty much my own fault this time. :clap:

I can probably handle the beer, but I don't know about the monitor part.

I don't know anything about this, I'm about to research what happened to you, but it sounds awful!

EDIT: So do you have epilepsy?

Yup, although not nearly as severe as some other people. Flashing lights just give me a headache. This was brought on by lack of sleep for an entire school semester.

I actually managed to play a bit of Shattered Horizon before, so not all hope is lost!

I err, also got bitten really badly in the arm about 2 years ago which resulted in the fingers and thumb on my left hand not working properly for about a month, with me getting weird spasms for a few months after.

What bit you?

Not what, who.

I was really drunk and mucking about with a (ex)girlfriend of mine and I was taking the piss a bit too much (and tickling her) so she sort of, playfully bit me. I retorted that I was so drunk that I couldn't feel a thing, so then she really bit me.

The gaming wasn't as much as a problem as typing one handed for a week because my fingers wouldn't do what they were supposed to.

Next time, I'll date someone with dentures.

Not what, who.

I was really drunk and mucking about with a (ex)girlfriend of mine and I was taking the piss a bit too much (and tickling her) so she sort of, playfully bit me. I retorted that I was so drunk that I couldn't feel a thing, so then she really bit me.

The gaming wasn't as much as a problem as typing one handed for a week because my fingers wouldn't do what they were supposed to.

Next time, I'll date someone with dentures.

Best injury ever. :clap:

phew!

I was able to play New super mario bros last night. - couldn't shake the controller well to do some of the moves, but yay for playing a game.

makes u think. all these motion controls are not injured or handicap friendly!

shouldn't that be "wasd", anyway, people should try "esdf" instead of "wasd", you'll get a few extra reachable keys, also you left hand is on the home row.

shouldn't that be "wasd", anyway, people should try "esdf" instead of "wasd", you'll get a few extra reachable keys, also you left hand is on the home row.

good call - *adds to pro-tips*

I'll try to re-teach myself when my hand is back to 100% since im a key-binding addict.

One of my high-school friends configured his keys that way. It weirded me out.

I would give it a shot, but my key bindings are so ingrained that I have some difficulty playing any other configuration.

As a lefty I use the NUMPAD. 8456. All keys neatly aligned. And with my thumb I can easily reach all the cursor keys. A superior alternative to the gross-motor-skill key (aka space).

Back to topic: Nope, no injuries which prevented me from gaming. Not as far as I recall.