elmuerte

Deus Ex 3

Did anyone purposefully avoid the Social Analyzer augmentation? I never activated it because it seemed like trying to actually discourse with NPCs would be more fun than just robo-outwitting them.

Did anyone purposefully avoid the Social Analyzer augmentation? I never activated it because it seemed like trying to actually discourse with NPCs would be more fun than just robo-outwitting them.

I've played through nearly 3 times, never picked it up.

There is an amusing situation with Malik that is worth picking up the augment (or searching on YT for) but otherwise there's little use to it.

There's an achievement for one quest that i don't think you can get without the aug, but it's kind of useless, otherwise.

Yeah, I got the aug and...it takes all the fun out of the social battles.

I'm doing a psychotic, rage-crazy run-through at the moment, and I was (appropriately) furious that I couldn't

finish Malik's loyalty quest without having 3 bars of hacking. Come on! Why can't I throw a fridge at the computer and knock the email loose, or torture somebody for the info, or just storm off to the Hive and put the hurt on Mastaplayer69 on shoddy evidence? It's a weird obstacle, although in Eidos Montreal's defence it is pretty insane to have no hacking skill to speak of at all by the middle of the game. Nonetheless...

So.. late to the party here, but just got to the first boss battle. I had heard about them of course, and figured that they sounded boring and took you out of the experience. I had no idea they were just beyond fucking stupid. I just die, over and over again. I have a hugely upgraded pistol and I've been silently taking dudes out for eight hours, and now I just have a huge dude with a gun walking at me. Brilliant.

To be honest these boss battles sound like they might have been modelled on the Metal Gear Solid approach. In that series you obviously play stealthily 99.9% of the time, yet in the boss battles you're typically faced with an almighty mother fucker that onslaughts you with weapons beyond your wildest dreams — like, you know, a giant robot or something.

The difference seeming to be that the boss battles in MGS are actually really fun, and also they put a lot of work in their narrative so you learn quite a lot about the bosses before, during, and after the battle. Actually they're very much the highlight of the game, which shows just how much the execution could have been done better here. At least it's possible to see what they were shooting for.

That definitely makes sense to me. How frustrating, though. Just completely pulls you out of this fantastic experience and forces you to play a video game you don't like for anywhere between five and twenty minutes. Really bizarre.

So.. late to the party here, but just got to the first boss battle. I had heard about them of course, and figured that they sounded boring and took you out of the experience. I had no idea they were just beyond fucking stupid. I just die, over and over again. I have a hugely upgraded pistol and I've been silently taking dudes out for eight hours, and now I just have a huge dude with a gun walking at me. Brilliant.

If you haven't finished the fight yet and you have the strength aug (although you might not need it, I can't remember):

Just throw the poisonous gas and explosive canisters lying around the room at him. If you have a stun gun or EMP grenades, you can use those to make that tactic a little easier to execute, as they disable him for a little bit

Cheers for the tip! I actually did a lot of what is in those spoiler tags, mostly out of desperation.

He actually killed himself, somehow. I was low on health and running away, and there was an explosion and he died. I assume he threw a grenade at himself. It was quite hilarious, actually.

Yes, I'm reading up on the bosses as I get to them, because I tried the first one a few times by myself and got really annoyed. There are tricks that make them fairly easy even if you're sneak/hacking biased.

In the pub the other night, a few of us from GameCity were dicussing what that social enhancer should have been:

Unlock new skills to schmooze your way past guards: Compliments, back rubs, fake sincerity while cracking racist jokes.

Learning prejudiced jokes allows you to be matey with guards, but also destroys a piece of your soul, which is a finite resource. Watch 4 hour American Football matches in order to successfully navigate sprawling chit-chat dialogue trees. Spend literally weeks building up rapport with all of the guards to charm your way into restricted areas.

Boss fight: While giving a guard a back rub and foot massage, he asks for a happy end. How will you handle this awkward situation? Will you talk your way out of it, or end up playing the most awkward and prolonged quick-time event ever made?

I guess the best way to describe Missing Link is "more of the same". The boss was handled much better, though – or at least more appropriately.

It's okay, but I'm not sure if I can recommend it at full price without reservations. Stealth gameplay is still nice and rewarding , just don't expect anything new from the DLC.

I guess the best way to describe Missing Link is "more of the same". The boss was handled much better, though – or at least more appropriately.

It's okay, but I'm not sure if I can recommend it at full price without reservations. Stealth gameplay is still nice and rewarding , just don't expect anything new from the DLC.

But you can throw dead/knocked out guards at other guards now! I was fine with the price, it is more deus ex, but that's not really a bad thing.

But you can throw dead/knocked out guards at other guards now! I was fine with the price, it is more deus ex, but that's not really a bad thing.

YOU CAN DO WHAT NOW! Why didn't anyone tell me this?

Yeah, the price is fine. It just not something that everyone should definitely buys. But if you yearn for more Deus Ex, then you should get it for sure.

YOU CAN DO WHAT NOW! Why didn't anyone tell me this?

Yeah, the price is fine. It just not something that everyone should definitely buys. But if you yearn for more Deus Ex, then you should get it for sure.

I mostly threw them to hide bodies quickly, was pretty funny being sneaky, knocking out a guard, then just tossing him 50 yards into the previous room, and hope nobody hears the loud thud and clangs from the impact.

Um, throwing guards? Ok, that sounds cool.

I am back into the game after an absolutely rancid couple of weeks at work. I'm still supposed to be busy but that can wait until tomorrow.

Also, a quick point... My item tab at the bottom of the screen has gone missing. I went for a quick look online and whenever I do this I'm reminded of why I never really hung out in forums (and certainly never contributed) until Idle Thumbs. They're kind of awful.

Maybe you veterans can help me out here. This "bump" thing on threads, that's annoying right? Particularly if the person is "bumping" within an hour or even half an hour of the original post?

Anyway, glad to be playing Deus Ex on a Sunday morning and not working.

I had the item bar go missing on me a couple of times. They're constantly moving it around in 3D, so no wonder it sometimes gets lost. I don't remember if I had to reload or restart the game, but something like that always did the trick. I happened maybe three or four times during the course of the game.

Yup, I'm an idiot. I looked up the controls. I must have toggled the auto-hide on my hotbar.

I am now at the second mini-boss. I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing this, but I'm sorry, I have to vent. What the hell?

So, basically because I don't have dermal upgrades, which I never needed really because I stealth a lot, this boss is considerably more difficult. Not just that, but I am screwed twice over for not picking a combat spec because now I am exposed for my weaknesses in open combat because I didn't pick an upgrade within a tree clearly aimed at combat specs. This feels more than a little like my experience with Alpha Protocol, and I rage uninstalled that game. Man.

My first play through was completed without dermal upgrades.

try to keep her in the middle, if you have explosives, pretty much spam them and run around like a maniac. Try to avoid shooting the generators.

Cheers guys, appreciate the advice. Back to work for the afternoon but I'll be trying both suggestions later.

Ugh.

Don't have a stun gun.

I might be done with this game. I have a pretty limited amount of time to play games, and I don't appreciate spending that time trying to beat a boss that is so completely out of kilter with how I've been playing the game for almost twenty hours. I can't kill this boss. Call me a baby or whatever, but I'm pretty furious really. What an absolute joke. Clearly I've done something wrong because this boss is close to one-shot killing me, even with the gun attacks, not the ones that are actually meant to be almost one-shot kill. Done. Thanks for the help and advice guys.