elmuerte

Deus Ex 3

After 40 minutes of reloading and dying, I just beat him using what I will be calling the "Home Alone Method". That is, in a similar style to Macaulay Culkin in that movie, I cowered and threw cans at him until he went away. Dove into cover right at the start of the fight, then threw an EMP at him. Ran around behind him while he started searching where I was to gun me down. He was grenade spamming and shooting all over the back of the facility, while I ran down to the front and started finding explosive barrels to hit him with. 4 barrels and a clip from my assault rifle to the face (when I couldn't find any more barrels and just started praying to whoever that I'd softened him up enough) later, I saw a cutscene and am able to get back to playing the game I liked.

What the fucking fuck is up with this first boss fight? Up to this point, I have silently incapacitated (not killed) every single person except for two drug dealers who I had to kill to complete a side quest. As a result, I haven't put a single point into any combat skills. I remembered hearing it was a good idea to have a weapon around anyway, so I have a reasonably upgraded assault rifle, but no upgrades to my armour or abilities. As a result, I've just been slaughtered about 8 times while barely doing any damage to this fucker. If this keeps up, I can see myself rage-quitting and never coming back to this game. Given how much I've absolutely loved everything to this point, that is horrible. I can't believe how fucking out of character this feels for the game. What the hell were they thinking?

Spoilers, but:

3TLziItg6ks

Spoilers, but:

3TLziItg6ks

So all the people pissing and moaning about the boss fights and having to put points into combat just haven't been exploring the environment???

it's definitely not as easy as that makes it look. he likes to spam grenades at random and if you're not careful he'll shoot the barrels you're carrying.

I used two EMP grenades and then just dumped shotgun ammo into him, killed him on my third try in about 20 or 30 seconds.

If you're going nonlethal, you can still use EMP, concussion, and gas grenades.

Also, the stun gun is amazing, has the strongest stun effect of any of the nonlethal weapons and an EMP attribute. I don't necessarily know that it'd be useful in that particular fight, but... I dunno, just saying.

On my non-lethal play through I was able to take him down in one go, relativity easy due to being invisible and having a number of grenades. The second and third bosses where damn near impossible and I only really beat the third boss because I carried a turret to the room he was in and it got him stuck in an infinite animation loop while he was being hurt. This was of course after 45 minutes of dying due to

not being able to use my augs.

What the fucking fuck is up with this first boss fight? Up to this point, I have silently incapacitated (not killed) every single person except for two drug dealers who I had to kill to complete a side quest. As a result, I haven't put a single point into any combat skills. I remembered hearing it was a good idea to have a weapon around anyway, so I have a reasonably upgraded assault rifle, but no upgrades to my armour or abilities. As a result, I've just been slaughtered about 8 times while barely doing any damage to this fucker. If this keeps up, I can see myself rage-quitting and never coming back to this game. Given how much I've absolutely loved everything to this point, that is horrible. I can't believe how fucking out of character this feels for the game. What the hell were they thinking?

You actually don't need to kill the drug dealers, still get quest complete for knocking em out and saying they're taken care of. First boss, any explosives at all do massive damage, this includes concussion grenades and gas grenades, also keep in mind there are explosive barrels and gas canisters strewn about the room you can use on him, stumble him with one of those things then unload on his head.

I had saved up a bunch of EMP grenades, and just alternated between spamming him with those and shooting him with my pistol (the only lethal weapon I had at the time). There also might have been a frag grenade or two in there, but EMP keeps him out of commission for a decent amount of time, so I didn't have too much of a problem with him.

The second boss fight however, is fucking infuriating. I'll just say that you should probably put the upgrade points into your defense augs until you get the one that protects you from electricity damage or you'll spend way too much time on it.

All the boss fights were definitely the worst parts of the game. I made it the entire playthrough without killing anyone (except the prologue, which I didn't realize until halfway through the game but oh well) but I did kill the bosses, didn't realize there were other ways to do it. For the first one, if you just keep running away behind cover and shooting, it actually doesn't take that long, I hadn't upgraded any kind of weapon/armor augs at that point in the game. I did die a fair number of times though (actually all of the bosses made me die a lot except the last one).

Just did the second boss, bit tougher, still easy.

Just kept dumping mines all over, going in for the kill when they were trapped in stun.

Are you guys just not using grenades?

You should keep grenades on you.

I brought a weapon to the first boss fight because I'd heard I should. Still, I think my ammo wasn't enough to do him in (I think I had two clips of machine pistol ammo + more pistol). I ended up throwing the barrels (but I threw more and it didn't seem as easy as in that video, I'm on the Gimme Deus Ex difficulty). I ended up using an AI dumbness where he couldn't enter a side room that had some ammo and stuff stashed. I was able to hide in a corner of that room so that his grenades didn't hurt me and he couldn't get a line of sight to me. Occasionally I peeked out and shot him in the face, and threw a couple of grenades. I think he may have hurt himself with his own grenades as well (didn't see as I was hiding in that corner).

Anyway, it wasn't fun. Thanks for the hints for preparing for the next one, though I hate that I have to do it.

Yeah, I've been pondering putting some points into dermal armour in preparation for the second real boss fight (not counting the annoying forced confrontation at the end of the second city hub). I really don't want to, because there are still a number of augs that I actually want, such as the Icarus Landing System, higher jumping, the ability to break through walls and Smart Vision, but it seems like it might be necessary. So the anti-electrical aug is important too? All right, I suppose I'll dump points into them.

This actually makes me wish I'd played on the PC so that I could just cheat up some praxis points to put into anti-boss augs as I consider the boss fights some sort of bizarre tax on people who didn't want to take the combat route. I would feel no compunction about cheating to make them easier as they shouldn't have been in the game in their current state anyway.

Edit: Has anyone tried using the Typhoon aug against them? Would that be a cheaper way to get through?

So the anti-electrical aug is important too? All right, I suppose I'll dump points into them.

I haven't looked at all the augs yet, but I suppose that could be useful in exploration as well? In the first hub there are a couple of areas where electricity was preventing quicker access.

I'm kind of curious as to where this goes, I haven't finished the second city hub but I already have a ton of augs. Depending on what the next area is like, I'll probably have nearly all of them by the end of that one, unless thats just the end of the game, but the story pacing doesn't feel like it.

Maybe its because I'm not on high difficulty? I dunno. I kind of just want use a trainer or whatever and get everything now, I mean I need more stealth, but I need to hack, but then when I get into a fire fight I'm totally useless as well... all of this is a fair design, but it seems hard to be a stealth hacker when both those systems are really competing against each other for points.

That parachute thing was the best thing I invested in though, man is it not only fun, but a time saver moving around china.

I'm kind of curious as to where this goes, I haven't finished the second city hub but I already have a ton of augs. Depending on what the next area is like, I'll probably have nearly all of them by the end of that one, unless thats just the end of the game, but the story pacing doesn't feel like it.

Maybe its because I'm not on high difficulty? I dunno. I kind of just want use a trainer or whatever and get everything now, I mean I need more stealth, but I need to hack, but then when I get into a fire fight I'm totally useless as well... all of this is a fair design, but it seems hard to be a stealth hacker when both those systems are really competing against each other for points.

That parachute thing was the best thing I invested in though, man is it not only fun, but a time saver moving around china.

I beat the game without investing in combat, not super hard. You won't be able to max everything but you can get a lot of the augs.

I beat the game without investing in combat, not super hard. You won't be able to max everything but you can get a lot of the augs.

Yeah I can see not investing in everything, its just something I'd want, hehe. Just curious and dont really care about spoilers or whatever, but not like i need to know the details, how many "hubs" are there after china?

People keep talking about boss fights, but I've only had one, but maybe there are only 2? Just before I left detroit...

they mentioned that was Jensens first day back, so everything I did in detroit was one day, maybe the game only takes place over teh course of a week?

I dunno, it just feels like there is a lot more left, but I've been playing for 11 hours and my guy has a ton of augs, yet it still feels early in the game. Maybe it's just the case of the story pace not syncing up with the gameplay's pacing.

Yeah I can see not investing in everything, its just something I'd want, hehe. Just curious and dont really care about spoilers or whatever, but not like i need to know the details, how many "hubs" are there after china?

People keep talking about boss fights, but I've only had one, but maybe there are only 2? Just before I left detroit...

they mentioned that was Jensens first day back, so everything I did in detroit was one day, maybe the game only takes place over teh course of a week?

I dunno, it just feels like there is a lot more left, but I've been playing for 11 hours and my guy has a ton of augs, yet it still feels early in the game. Maybe it's just the case of the story pace not syncing up with the gameplay's pacing.

you go back to both detroit and china, after a really long mission string. The later missions are really big areas that might as well be hubs

Just got to China. Definitely getting a more Deus Ex 1 vibe than Deus Ex 2. I think my main problem with Deus Ex 2, IIRC, was the plot and the fact that you could work for both sides at the same time, kind of. The hubs in Deus Ex 2 were also more cramped, this seems to be between 1 and 2, I think. But my memory is hazy.

My biggest issue with DX2 was how tiny all the levels were, that game really suffered from being developed simultaneously for the original X-box's cramped memory limitations. I mean, when there are levels that only had three or four enemies to begin with, there isn't a huge incentive to stay stealthy. Alarms are kind of meaningless, no angry mob of enemies is going to crash down on you.

I think the story is really weak too, at some point it seemed like a reunion episode for all the Deus Ex 1 characters, it kind of undermined its own narrative. (Really though, the story just isn't as good as what the first game told, it kind of lost the real-world conspiracy edge and slid into pure sci-fi.)

Also, that stupid unified ammo system, and the horrible inventory system.

I don't have the hate for that game that a lot of people do, but i was definitely incredibly disappointed with it. (I do think the game Spector's Ion Storm team followed it up with, Thief 3, is genuinely pretty amazing.)

I mean, but if you want to think about it honestly, despite all the efforts Eidos Montreal has gone through to distance themselves from Invisible War comparisons, Human Revolution does have a lot of things in common with DX2. There's a lot of things that are still simplified compared to the original Deus Ex, which i think gives some credibility to believing that the "dumbing it down" was not the real reason Invisible War failed, it was just bad for kind of a lot of other reasons.

As one of those people that holds up the original Deus Ex as one of the Pinnacles Of Game Design, and is extremely reluctant about this game, are my fears unfounded? Because I saw a bit of a video playthrough and it seems to miss out on what made the original Deus Ex great, as cliche as that is to say.

As one of those people that holds up the original Deus Ex as one of the Pinnacles Of Game Design, and is extremely reluctant about this game, are my fears unfounded? Because I saw a bit of a video playthrough and it seems to miss out on what made the original Deus Ex great, as cliche as that is to say.

I don't know what you saw specifically, but i can relate with being unimpressed by the preview materials. The game itself also takes a while winding up, but i think it nails the things you'd want out of a Deus Ex game. Don't be deterred by the first couple missions.

In totality though, it feels a little less like a globe spanning adventure and a little less fluid in structure, it was clearly designed around having these two giant hubs with action missions inbetween. The original Deus Ex didn't always have such a clear demarcation between what was a social/explorative environment and what was a stealth-action environment, which is to its credit, every scenario was new and surprising.

I'm being nitpicky though, Human Revolution is really pretty incredible.

I think the new game feels a little less an immersive SIM and a little more an adventure game. Maybe that's just from the way I'm playing it, and I'm not saying that's bad. But there seems to be a lack of reaction from NPCs. I can jump down from a roof into the middle of a crowded street using the Icarus aug and no-one will pay any mind.

I think the new game feels a little less an immersive SIM and a little more an adventure game. Maybe that's just from the way I'm playing it, and I'm not saying that's bad. But there seems to be a lack of reaction from NPCs. I can jump down from a roof into the middle of a crowded street using the Icarus aug and no-one will pay any mind.

If you're thinking that the AI was significantly more advanced in those older games, you're misremembering things quite a bit.

The NPC's were about the same level of dumb, and the enemies now are actually quite a bit smarter. (Multiple levels of alertness, last known position search routines, etc. Still quite dumb though, i might say.)

If you're thinking that the AI was significantly more advanced in those older games, you're misremembering things quite a bit.

Yeah, I think I am. It's been a long time since I played Deus Ex.