elmuerte

Deus Ex 3

I just checked my email and discovered that my stepdad gifted this to me on Steam. I wasn't particularly excited about this game, mostly because I doubted I'd be able to afford it anytime soon. Now that I have it though, I'm hyping myself up something fierce. Only thing is: I've never played more than the tutorial for the original. I still intend to play it either way, but should I hold off on HR until after I've done so or should I just play HR now and keep DX1 on the stack for later?

I have never played a DX game and love this.

i'm on my second playthrough and this time i dumped all my points into hacking right off the bat. so i'm barely into the game and i have level 5 hacking and the -45% detection and it's basically god mode. i have no other augmentations but it hardly matters because i can go anywhere i please.

i'm on my second playthrough and this time i dumped all my points into hacking right off the bat. so i'm barely into the game and i have level 5 hacking and the -45% detection and it's basically god mode. i have no other augmentations but it hardly matters because i can go anywhere i please.

That's what I did as well, though sometimes when given the option, I'll just punch holes in walls, cause I can.

I just checked my email and discovered that my stepdad gifted this to me on Steam. I wasn't particularly excited about this game, mostly because I doubted I'd be able to afford it anytime soon. Now that I have it though, I'm hyping myself up something fierce. Only thing is: I've never played more than the tutorial for the original. I still intend to play it either way, but should I hold off on HR until after I've done so or should I just play HR now and keep DX1 on the stack for later?

There are a few things the game just kind of expects you to know from the previous games. It never tells you how to disarm mines, for example. (Crawl up to them very slowly and hit the use key on them.) Given that it's a prequel though, it's probably fine to have never played the original, but you will miss out on tons of nods and references to the original, both meta and in-story.

You should check out Deus Ex though. Visuals aside, i think it has aged pretty well. The things about it that are annoying now are things that were always annoying. I mean, even the graphics, that game was always kind of ugly. More particularly though, i always felt that game has a really weird and troublesome implementation of reticle bloom, and you'll want to get a couple levels into your preferred weapon type to overcome the severe aim penalties. Also, don't neglect the electronics and lockpicking skills if you're ocd about exploring the maps fully. It's still a really incredible game though.

2nd boss fight was kicking my ass, I literally won because it's AI glitched out and stood there while I unloaded.

If we're talking about the sort of boss fight just before going to the third city, yeah it's kind of vicious if you're not specced combat. I had to retry it a couple times, but I discovered it is possible to complete non-lethally with liberal use of gas grenades, careful movement and some luck with the stun gun.

Not really looking forward to the inevitable third and (probably) fourth boss fights. I might start investing a little into dermal armour.

Oh man, i just got to the second major hub area in the game, and i am having wonderful, wonderful flashbacks to the Hong Kong portions of Deus Ex.

There are a few things the game just kind of expects you to know from the previous games. It never tells you how to disarm mines, for example. (Crawl up to them very slowly and hit the use key on them.)

you can do that??

i tried to do that but they always blow up in my face. it must be easier with an analog stick :frown:

That's what I did as well, though sometimes when given the option, I'll just punch holes in walls, cause I can.

that was the other thing i learned from my first playthrough, you should invest in the wall punch, icarus system, high jump, and super strength augmentations as early as possible because it opens up pretty much the entire map. everything else can wait because mobility makes everything easier.

It's good. It seems to combine the best elements from both previous games. So far I've gotten the social aug and some hacking improvements. Haven't killed anyone yet, but in an effort to ghost the first mission, I forgot to a side objective :( which resulted in some casualties.

you can do that??

i tried to do that but they always blow up in my face. it must be easier with an analog stick :frown:

From talking with a buddy, i understand that on the PC version you have to toggle both walk and crouch to be moving slow enough to not set them off.

So where is the FOV option? I cant find it anywhere.

edit: found it, yay!

Edited by Murdoc

I can't play this for another month and even then I have to think about building a new PC for it. :violin:

For having some sweet robot arms, I wish I was able to punch more things, like anything. Lifting is cool, punching through certain walls is nice, but I want to just punch guys across a room and things.

Really enjoying the game so far, the world fiction seems to have grown on me over and I got over the hokey-ness of it, but it is one of those games I wished was a little more open world or immersive like a bioware title... then again I can say that about any game.

For having some sweet robot arms, I wish I was able to punch more things, like anything. Lifting is cool, punching through certain walls is nice, but I want to just punch guys across a room and things.

Um... play Crysis?

I just played through the tutorial bits before heading to work. This is pretty sweet, although I am falling into my old Splinter Cell habits of being seen by a single guard for a split second and hitting the quick load button. I should probably just roll with whatever happens, but dammit I want to be an invisible death machine!

that was the other thing i learned from my first playthrough, you should invest in the wall punch, icarus system, high jump, and super strength augmentations as early as possible because it opens up pretty much the entire map. everything else can wait because mobility makes everything easier.

Thanks for the tip! I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to each part of the tech tree and totally missed that traversal stuff. The high jump and fall invincibility make a great combination to access like... the third and fourth entry points for any given mission, which is totally valuable.

I just played through the tutorial bits before heading to work. This is pretty sweet, although I am falling into my old Splinter Cell habits of being seen by a single guard for a split second and hitting the quick load button. I should probably just roll with whatever happens, but dammit I want to be an invisible death machine!

That's how I play these kind of games! So.. um, how's quick loading?

I'm hoping to get the game early next week, but I'm not sure if that is going to happen since the package was shipped only on Thursday and I have no trust on Finnish post which should handle the last 20 kilometers or so.

I honestly would go with the "roll with it" way, getting pinned down in a shitty circumstance and figuring a way out of it is pretty satisfying. I only quick-loaded once, but because when I used a gas grenade to take out a bunch of guards that were near the person I had to rescue, the gas cloud seeped into her room and knocked her out, making it so I couldn't complete it. Funny thing is it took me a minute to realize why she was asleep and why that caused the quest to not go further. Speaking of splinter cell, this much like conviction also has a mechanic where the guards converge on your last known position, you can see that position with an augment. Can setup takedowns like that, or simply bypass them by sneaking around.

That's how I play these kind of games! So.. um, how's quick loading?

Misleadingly named. It's actually surprisingly tedious. Better than a manual load though. Usually I'm stealthy enough on my own to get through these situations without too much trouble, but every now and then I just get into this loop where I keep on alerting the same guard/camera and thinking that next time I'll be just that much faster as to get through unseen. And then I never am. Eventually, with one exception, I find a way around that has nothing to do with what I've been trying. The exception was when I put a cardboard box between where I was crouch-hacking a door and the security camera that kept swinging back to see me too fast.

Homing bullets!

I have an upgrade on my silenced combat rifle that lets me curve bullets around cover, it works like some of the Mass Effect 2 abilities did.

It is pretty cool, this is a pretty cool game.

I will also endorse the idea that the traversal abilities are super valuable in this game. The wall punch, carry, jump, parachute, and hacking abilities should probably be the first things to go after.

This game is really so good, and these guys are making Thief 4 next? I am so happy.

Who the hell are these guys at Eidos Montreal? The studio itself is new, but where did their leads come from? Do they have any history?

Homing bullets!

I have an upgrade on my silenced combat rifle that lets me curve bullets around cover, it works like some of the Mass Effect 2 abilities did.

It is pretty cool, this is a pretty cool game.

I will also endorse the idea that the traversal abilities are super valuable in this game. The wall punch, carry, jump, parachute, and hacking abilities should probably be the first things to go after.

This game is really so good, and these guys are making Thief 4 next? I am so happy.

Who the hell are these guys at Eidos Montreal? The studio itself is new, but where did their leads come from? Do they have any history?

All I know is that Eidos Montreal is pretty much designed to be the innovative, long-view part of the company that exclusively works on new stuff. Which explains why Deus Ex is so good and kinda came from nowhere to do it.

All I know is that Eidos Montreal is pretty much designed to be the innovative, long-view part of the company that exclusively works on new stuff. Which explains why Deus Ex is so good and kinda came from nowhere to do it.

I did find it interesting that there is a lot of focus on the dev team, There being actual opening credits and that the ending credits are filled with a lot of pictures of them as well. Most games don't really do that.

What the fucking fuck is up with this first boss fight? Up to this point, I have silently incapacitated (not killed) every single person except for two drug dealers who I had to kill to complete a side quest. As a result, I haven't put a single point into any combat skills. I remembered hearing it was a good idea to have a weapon around anyway, so I have a reasonably upgraded assault rifle, but no upgrades to my armour or abilities. As a result, I've just been slaughtered about 8 times while barely doing any damage to this fucker. If this keeps up, I can see myself rage-quitting and never coming back to this game. Given how much I've absolutely loved everything to this point, that is horrible. I can't believe how fucking out of character this feels for the game. What the hell were they thinking?

I don't know, but the boss fights, as stated, even howled, many times throughout the internet by this point, are a dumb fucking thing.

That said, the series of columns on either side of the room are your best option. Whenever he triple-grenades, just leg it to the other end of the row the moment he starts the animation. You just need to keep a column or two ahead of him and at all times, moving in-between his gun use. Just dump as many clips as needed into him until he drops. (Both surprisingly few and infuriatingly many, considering the game up 'til that point.)