elmuerte

Deus Ex 3

So I apparently put ten hours into Deus Ex 3 over the past two days, it felt like none! Having never played Deus Ex I am really enjoying 3 and wish more games had the open, but crafted environment and the stealth mechanics featured prominently in this video game.

Also, I was thinking about pre-ordering Skyrim from Gamestop because it is a Steamworks game and it *maybe?/hopefully* comes with a nice world map like Oblivion did. However all I can say now is fuck you Gamestop, fuck you.

There has been weirdly increasing amount of really stupid moves coming from several publishers and retailers recently.

Ubisoft, EA, Gamestop... what's next? Every time they try some move, the consumers will find it out quickly.

attachment.php?attachmentid=739&stc=1&d=1314246112

"...therefore it's OK for me to break into my co-workers' offices and steal all their candy bars. I'm in grief!"

:tup:

"oh there's that wacky Jensen again, climbing through air ducts and reading everybody's email..."

http://twitter.com/#!/ShawnElliott/status/106222212251529216

Deus Ex makes @Chrisremo and @fullbright want to podcast with me.

http://twitter.com/#!/juv3nal/status/106791338615377920

@ShawnElliott @Chrisremo @fullbright DO IT!

http://twitter.com/#!/ShawnElliott/status/106801117417046016

@juv3nal @Chrisremo @fullbright Remo is still reading E-books in Jensen's office and has yet to fire his first shot.

http://twitter.com/#!/ShawnElliott/status/106801136824094720

@juv3nal @Chrisremo @fullbright When he's finished the game in 2012, we'll give it a go.

:clap::woohoo:

I just started on this.

First door code is 0451.

That makes me like this game way more than it probably should.

I just started on this.

First door code is 0451.

It won me over, I know that.

Is anyone getting a Thief 3 vibe from this whole thing though? Just the overall mission structure, hub world, tone, and various other bits of gameplay.

I mean it's good news for Thief 4 I guess since they've already had a crack at something similar, but I dunno, something just isn't sitting well with me.

Ok, the character animation could possible be worse than anything I've seen in a Bethseda RPG and the models aren't good either. And yes the game feels like an old school PC game that probably was released 2-4 years ago, but that isn't whats bugging me, it's something else I can't quite place.

The world fiction seems interesting, the designs aren't too bad, but maybe it's the fact that they are all too close to modern day things that it falls under the trap of being a bit generic. It's cyberpunk, but not far enough in terms of art direction, it feels a little cheap in parts where it's just an every day design with a decal slapped on to it to make it "futurey". Suppose it's a fine line, but something just isn't sucking me in as much as it should like a Farcry 2 would/did.

So it might be the art direction is just too moderate to draw me completely in.

The animation is really driving me crazy, everybody is so fucking jittery in conversation, like a world full of hyperactive children.

jake played a game?!

I just started on this.

First door code is 0451.

it didn't even occur to me why at the time but I seriously had to think about it for a second like "why is this number so easy to remember?"

So yeah, this game is awesome, i want to confidently say that this is the sequel Deus Ex deserves.

Also, there is totally a basketball court, and i totally scored a basket, and for scoring that basket i got an achievement. That is exactly the way it should be.

Issues i have -

The animation is terrible. You stop noticing it after a point, but it's still bad.

Not sure i like how it doles out EXP gains so conditionally. You've kind of got a skillshot-type thing going on, but instead of rewarding you for impaling people on a cactus, the rewards are for playing stealthily and cautiously. (And hacking everything, even if you have the code for it.) I'm not decided yet whether this is actually bad, but i feel like i am being pushed to focus on a metagame, rather than be immersed in the experience.

The retailer specific bonuses were also apparently quite considerable, and that's not cool, making people miss out on neat game content like that.

Otherwise, amazing amazing game.

I bought the regular edition on purpose. I hate starting a game with my inventory full of gaudy shit with no history.

I am a little disappointed that the metagame elements (XP, achievements) seem to be so focused on stealth and non-lethality. XP bonuses for not being seen during a mission or being "merciful" (stunning instead of killing), achievements for similar things with no corresponding ones for, say, killing everyone in a single mission. It's fine for now, but I do want to play again as some sort of psychopathic murder machine, and it seems like I may incur a penalty for it in the lack of XP/upgrade points. Then again, I can still be a stealthy psychopath.

The only thing that bothers me every time I see it is the "future renaissance" design of some of the characters' clothing. EVERYTHING IS MADE OF TRIANGLES. It's like someone realized that augments can be dangerous and unwieldy, and starting making clothing with roll cages inside.

All that being said, I'm having way too much fun and losing way too much sleep because of this game. It's fucking awesome.

I am a little disappointed that the metagame elements (XP, achievements) seem to be so focused on stealth and non-lethality. XP bonuses for not being seen during a mission or being "merciful" (stunning instead of killing), achievements for similar things with no corresponding ones for, say, killing everyone in a single mission.

That's sad to hear, Im just playing that style anyway so I didn't notice, I figured there were little bonuses for just rampaging through.

I don't normally play stealth games so finding this pretty challenging, there is no way that I can see that I can just run in and gun, maybe with some more augments, but so far there is no way to get around this without stealth.

I'm curious to see if I broke the game down the road. I was just screwing around so I went to Jensens apartment for the first time and the Janitor said something about fixing up my place, I get inside and its a filthy hole. So I went back out and shot him... unfortunately everyone in the building heard me, so I shot them too.

The next day(real life) I just quick loaded and didn't realize until about 3 hours afterwards it started me on my shooting spree alternative. No one has said anything, so I guess I'll continue on with the game as a secret murderer, I just hope no one comes to visit... I guess I should just stash the bodies somewhere just in case... I wonder if I can just start secretly murdering more people, tranquillizing them and then silently killing them and hiding their body in a vent....

Sadly I think my game has turned for the worse and I have a little side project going on...

You gotta have your priorities straight like me. I risked my life dodging around two giant security mechs so I could get to the sweet, sweet box of Cyberboost Energy Bars. Then I killed them. I pretty much just made the perfect commercial for them.

Hey Brannigan, what "lvl" were you like any special augments and weapons?

I went on this mission just thinking I was taking on a gang, then I get wrapped up in the whole mess of stuff and I'm completely under supplied, so I just have to sneak around things and there is no way I'd be able to take on a mech at this point, a few guys usually just pop me within seconds.

Hey Brannigan, what "lvl" were you like any special augments and weapons?

I went on this mission just thinking I was taking on a gang, then I get wrapped up in the whole mess of stuff and I'm completely under supplied, so I just have to sneak around things and there is no way I'd be able to take on a mech at this point, a few guys usually just pop me within seconds.

I have this sweet augment called "Heavy Rifle", also EMP grenade. I literally only have the gun for robots actually, I've done a mostly non-lethal run. I actually have been totally stuffed on ammo for most of the game, but I also avoid a lot of conflict. I've basically done most of stealth, the x-ray vision, rebreather, hacking maxed. Breaking walls and lift heavy stuff too. They eventually just let you find a lot of guns/ammo, especially when the bigger encounters are coming up.

My advice to anyone is to make sure to keep a real gun on hand for the boss fights. (If you're doing non-lethal)

My advice to anyone is to make sure to keep a real gun on hand for the boss fights. (If you're doing non-lethal)

This. Though the second boss fight that isn't really a boss fight can be done non-lethally (it's just pretty hard to do so).

Boss Fights? Ok you guys are way farther than me, hehe.

Right now I, stuck in a facility with no ammo, hacking skill is too low, but I have a box full of energy bars, so maybe I can just wait these guys out until they leave.

So I haven't read any of this thread, and I've only played ten minutes, but when I got an achievement for doing what comes natural to me, and calling me "old school", this game went straight to the top of my list. Also, plus points for:

• Loading quickly
  • Having good default settings for mouse sensitivity (a first, I think, for me)
  • The FOV slider
  • What seems like a nice, PC-friendly HUD (small and sharp, not huge and blurry)
  • Just directing a powerful torrent of production value straight into my face with the "touring the facility" intro. So much stuff going on... it's a cheap hook, in a way, but it works spectacularly.
  • Scrolling things with my mousewheel. I always try this in new games, but noticed that, here, it worked flawlessly.

Just having played a couple of short sequences, I get the impression this may be the best multiplatform release ever, from a PC standpoint. Maybe Ubisoft should gather some multitools and sneak on into Square Enix' facilities.

I have been playing a mostly non-lethal sneaky guy as well, however I do kill a few people here and there. Mostly death by fridge on skull collision, those goddamn fridges...

Anywhos, I got to second boss fight and could not for the love of me beat it. It was the most unfair thing unless you spec'd in the direction of super battle-hardened soldier man, which as a weak little man who is used to hiding in shadows was the stupidest thing.

So I was attempting to do sort of a "whatever feels necessary at the time" run for my first go through. Basically, if it feels like I should kill this guy because of X number of reasons, I do so. The XP makes it a little harder to justify lethality, but whatever.

Unnnnfortunately, while in the second city hub at

The Hive club, I went to retrieve a pocket secretary and failed to escape notice while doing so.

I'm pretty sure I just had a gunfight with half of China. There are a lot of bodies in this hallway. . .

Boss Fights? Ok you guys are way farther than me, hehe.

Right now I, stuck in a facility with no ammo, hacking skill is too low, but I have a box full of energy bars, so maybe I can just wait these guys out until they leave.

If you're in the FEMA facility it's possible to get through without taking out a single guard, it's how I went through it. Ammo will become less of an issue after that really.

This. Though the second boss fight that isn't really a boss fight can be done non-lethally (it's just pretty hard to do so).

2nd boss fight was kicking my ass, I literally won because it's AI glitched out and stood there while I unloaded.

I just checked my email and discovered that my stepdad gifted this to me on Steam. I wasn't particularly excited about this game, mostly because I doubted I'd be able to afford it anytime soon. Now that I have it though, I'm hyping myself up something fierce. Only thing is: I've never played more than the tutorial for the original. I still intend to play it either way, but should I hold off on HR until after I've done so or should I just play HR now and keep DX1 on the stack for later?