elmuerte

Deus Ex 3

why are there resumes on a game website?

also, I think sony did this to draw away attention from themselves

They hacked the Eidos Montreal site where you could apply for jobs. Not sure where the 9000 figure came from (over 9000?) because they're saying only 250.

Apparently, the PC version will be region locked for bullshit reasons.

Seriously, what the fuck? I guess I won't be getting that boxed Augmented Edition then. Not sure if I want to buy this at all anymore..

wtf!?

This can't be legal in the European Union.

but until further notice, me purchasing this game has now been postponed

Yea, I was briefly happy when my preorder price had dropped to £25,60, but then I saw the news on RPS. It seems practically impossible to find a boxed Augmented Edition that works in Finland (Does one even exist? The Edition Jungle on this one is insane). To make things even more confusing, some non-UK European retailers are probably selling the UK version.

Ugh, that's awful. It drives me nuts when games have region locked multiplayer, but region locking the game itself? What the fuck? This is a profoundly gross move for a game that is the successor to the original Deus Ex, something that was so accepting to the international modders and knew how to please the essentially borderless PC community.

They literally couldn't have marketed this game any worse towards me. It's a miracle I still want it.

I preordered through Green Man which is in the UK. I really hope this doesn't fuck me when they send the Steam code...

edit: oh thank god, it looks like it's only the boxed copies.

They literally couldn't have marketed this game any worse towards me. It's a miracle I still want it.

There's still time for them to drop Steamworks and add some always-on DRM!

But you're right; if it wasn't for the Screwattack smuggled footage I wouldn't have been excited for this game a year ago. Hearing that people enjoyed the leaked preview build later on was even more reassuring.

Great guerrilla marketing, team!

I really hope this kind of bullshit region locking isn't spreading. It does really look like it's not legal to do these kind of moves.

Region locking in general is a disease that shouldn't exist in these times anymore and must be killed.

I don't really understand the necessity of region-locking. They claim it's to keep prices even? But I mean I don't think there's ever been any problem with PS3 or DS games being region-free, right?

What the hell just happened:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting the Square Enix Support Centre.

Please find below our official statement about region block:

"We're aware of some discussion regarding the planned region-locking of boxed PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and after careful review we have decided not to implement this in the UK. Please note, this plan only related to PC boxed games, and not digital or console editions"

Please contact us again if you require more information.

Regards,

The SQUARE ENIX Technical Support Team

So, because I didn't cancel my order yet, it seems I will get the Augmented Edition at ridiculously low price of £25,60.

Suddenly Square Enix is the best company ever. :getmecoat

Yeah they cancelled the region locking for Europe.

What the hell just happened:

So, because I didn't cancel my order yet, it seems I will get the Augmented Edition at ridiculously low price of £25,60.

Suddenly Square Enix is the best company ever. :getmecoat

wait? what? where?!

Consumer response actually resulted in a changed policy? Awesome. I love it when that happens.

Ugh, we spent all day talking about nothing but DRM (for this game and From Dust).

Let's talk about start to crate instead! We know Human Revolution will have plenty of crates, but I think we won't see any in the opening scenes. Only in the first "real" mission will we see crates in their full glory.

Erik Wolpaw on Deus Ex: "Finally, a crate game for me, the thinking man."

PS: That Old Man Murray article includes a quote from Erik Wolpaw: "Science is not about your feelings." That could easily be a Portal quote.

Consumer response actually resulted in a changed policy? Awesome. I love it when that happens.

I'm thinking they realized they were on thin ice legally. They probably thought no-one would care or realize, but once people started talking about formal complaints to the EU...

That's the problem with the games industry: it loves to pull cheeky, shitty little moves to see how they go. Just look at Call of Duty's subscription multiplayer thing (which is matched and exceeded by Battlefield 3's free counterpart, incidentally).

steam preload is up apparently. Also the tf2 blog post about the deus ex items is pretty amusing.

Those items look awesome. I feel like a shameless whore for this, but I honestly think that they pushed me over to buy DXHR. My most played classes in TF2 are Sniper and Engineer, so that definitely plays a part.

I played a bit of Deus Ex 3 on Gamescom, but I think this is typically a game that you can't just pick up and play. I had no idea what to do and as a result it was confusing and difficult. It's impossible to judge solely on fifteen minutes of fumbling about.