elmuerte

Deus Ex 3

Lets hope so, that preview does indeed make the game sound good.

The accompanying interviews especially have set my mind at ease. There is now enough information out there to feel cautiously optimistic.

There is now enough information out there to feel cautiously optimistic.

Spindrift is correct, especially after seeing some of that leaked footage.

Idle Thumbs' own Steve Gaynor had the best response to the leak:

I just want to thank the fellows at ScrewAttack for forgoing all future press event access just to get me psyched up for DX3.

Steve Gaynor also wrote his remembrances of the first Deus Ex for Rock Paper Shotgun, which has officially gone off the deep end of fan worship---look at that front page!

I will never forgive Deus Ex for encouraging stealth when it was nowhere nearly as good as Thief's sneaking. That said, I enjoyed the game---I even enjoyed Deus Ex 2. I miss The Omar!

Gameplay trailer.

I haven't played a Deus Ex game yet, but I may just end up getting this. The city and the night club remind me of Mass Effect 2, parts of the gameplay a bit of Metal Gear Solid and color palette of why modern times suck.

I really like how they've executed the black-and-gold color scheme the Art Director was always talking about in earlier interviews. I've seen people complain that it's a new form of the shades-of-brown issue that many games have had, but I love how the heavy use of gold tone and light makes the entire scene visually warm (especially how it interacts with the haze in the city streets).

Really, even if the gameplay or story don't turn out all that great (though what I've seen has made me fairly optimistic), the visual design for the project has left me very impressed. The environments, mechanical design, outfits, and overall look are distinctive, well-executed, and just hit all the right notes for me.

As an aside, the bomblets aug is kind of situational and silly, but it's exactly the sort of bigger scale type of effect that I would want as part of a mechaug.

In Invisible War, you'd walk into a bar or nightclub and all the NPCs stood around like idiots with their arms slightly spread like they're at bind pose. It was so silly. Apparently the developers couldn't figure out how to make them behave like a human being or even use a chair. I'm sure they wanted to, because some of the early screenshots actually showed NPCs sitting down.

Anyway, I'm glad the DE3 doesn't seem to suffer from the same problem.

PC games are terrible:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/11/30/deus-ex-inhuman-revolution/

This is quite the double edged sword. On one hand, this is the only way publishers see a return on producing a physical copy of the game… it’s a way to fund the huge cost of traditional copies. It also becomes terrible in this instance (offering game-changing bonuses).

On the other hand, if this method dies, and is discouraged, we won’t be seeing physical copies of PC games anymore which will be the greater loss (for me anyways).

I hate extras that change the game. If it's just a meaningless skin... then meh... horse wallpaper.

What I hate even more is store exclusives or even country exclusives. I really wanted to buy New Vegas Collector's Edition. But it wasn't sold for the PC in the Netherlands, and more less impossible to get from the UK.

So now Bethesda can stuff it, I'll wait until New Vegas is in a bargain bin.

M-28 Utility Remote-Detonated Explosive Device (UR-DED)

Wow. The awfulness of that pun may actually force me not to buy the GameStop edition.

Blergh. I'm caring less and less about "AAA" games lately. I'll probably play Deus Ex 3 at some point but things like this are so stupid.

I'm interested in "Tong's Rescue", which I guess means that coveted "original character cameo" is Tracer Tong himself.

I remember playing Deus Ex: Invisible War and wondering why characters were making such a big deal about Tracer Tong. I had completely forgotten that he is one of the original game's endings, essentially. Even so, he was hardly at the top of my list of original Deus Ex characters I wanted to see again.

Bring back Jaime Reyes!

This pre-order bonus stuff is pretty disappointing news, but I can't see myself going out of my way to buy this game at an EB Games just for that.

I'm gonna ask a bunch of questions now.

Can someone explain why companies still seem to go out of their way to provide incentives to purchase games from GameStop when it is the largest vector for selling used merchandise? Doesn't that just get more traffic in the store and increase the chance that used copies are sold?

From what I've been listening to on the Bombcast, it seems Amazon is basically subsidizing the purchase and pre-order of new games through their gift card/credit system. Isn't that a much more healthy company to support through features like this?

I realize that GameStop is probably the largest retailer, but I would assume the law of diminishing returns kick in at some point. Do they really need this incentive when they already have a strong pre-order mentality?

Rock, Paper, Shotgun just blessed us with a flurry of Deus Ex: Human Revolution information.

There isn't much to it beyond a "so far, so good" vibe, but I like that Alec and Quintin stress that the opening setting feels like a functioning place.

I hope the spell of that won't be broken by me hopping all over the place!

I'm digging the aesthetic they're using a lot. I was never able to get into the original Deus Ex, but I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

Can't wait!

I just got my PC tower back, finally got it fixed (but downgraded a bit) after 6 months of only using laptops. But I guess I'll be building a new one anyway for Deus Ex 3, and other PC goodness coming out sooner or later this year.

I'm horrified to admit that I quite liked Deus Ex 2. Took a while to get into, but it did a good job of setting up the stakes. Also, you could kill the occasional speaking-part NPC, which I realise makes me sound like a bed-wetting psychopath, but made the whole thing feel a bit meaty. Chunky. Oh, god. The bed again.

At some point I have to take on a quest to play Deus Ex 1&2.

rhz_mKDGxm8

Lets hope I would get to those during the summer so I can then prepare for the third one.

That level seems straight out of 1998! Crates and explosive barrels?! :grin: I hope you can turn down the golden outline thing. It seems incredibly distracting to me; makes me aware I'm playing a video game too much.

I dunno, I don't have a good feeling about this one. SORRY!!

That level seems straight out of 1998! Crates and explosive barrels?!

Don't forget about running through air ducts!

Deus Ex: Human Revolution may turn out to be too retro for its own good, but that's just fine with me.

Many commenters online are also apprehensive about a Half-Life 2: Episode 3 if the gameplay is exactly the same as it was 13 years ago. (Will Gordon Freeman still climb ladders without using his hands?) Are people going to dismiss Portal 2 if it still makes the same noise when you press the E key?

But I have no problem with musty old game mechanics if they're mechanics that work.

At least the game doesn't have any Teal, just the Orange.

Also, for some reason I'm contemplating playing Deus Ex again. For those of you who have probably done this more recently, how much of a disappointment am I in for? It's been, what, thirty years?

I played through it again about a year or two back, i remember it holding up really surprisingly well. It didn't destroy my memories of it at all, and it's still one of my favorite games.

The only problems i really had with it are problems i had with it when it was new. (I think the form of reticle bloom that Deus Ex implements is ridiculous, and actually that's still my only real complaint about Deus Ex.)