elmuerte

Deus Ex 3

I can't believe there's no Deus Ex 3 thread. Are people still angry about Deus Ex 2? I still have 2 in shrink wrap so I don't know how bad it is.

Anyway, from the recent promo material it looks like they've dropped a lot of the cyberpunk material and more or less went for the straight science fiction look. Which is a real shame.

It also looks like they borrowed a lot from Blade Runner and Mass Effect 2.

Ingame screenshots:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397260

Promo movie:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-deus-ex/100908

ps, "Deus Ex: Human Revolution"; what a shitty title.

I really, really love the Look of what they are doing, but i'm not sure about the actual trailer. It's sort of silly superhero action stuff, which is never how I played Deus ex. Although you could play that way, so it isn't really out of place I suppose.

I like the title.

Looks like a more dystopian version of Ghost in the Shell, which coincidentally also takes place in the late 2020ies. I thought it looked really cool. Detroit had better start building if they want to realize the version we saw in the trailers. :grin:

They sold me on the world they created. I am looking forward to the gameplay stuff.

I'm saddened by the fact that it isn't called D3us 3x.

I will cut you.

I'm saddened by the fact that it isn't called D3us 3x.

Surely you mean D4us 4x?

Sadly enough I never played Deus Ex so I have no opinion. But the trailer/teaser looked alright.

I am currently playing Deus Ex and liking it pretty well, or at least I can appreciate what it does well. I don't think the graphics and controls have aged well, but I can live with it. I think the trailer for this game looked pretty sweet, but I didn't have something in mind for how it "should" look.

Also, I actually kind of like the title to this game.

I actually really liked the first Deus Ex. I actually got into an emergent combat scenario involving a generator, a whole army chasing me, and a bathroom stall. It really was reminiscent of

FAR CRY 2

My excite-o-meter is set to "cautiously optimistic".

The first Deus Ex is one of my favorite games of all time, despite all it's glaring flaws. Among many other things it got right, it did a great job of building a universe (characters, locales, technology, organizations, etc.) that felt really cohesive and immersive. The trailer looks like it may be going for a similar effect, although the fact that the game seems to be sliding closer to the science fiction end of the scale despite being a prequel pisses me off. I just hope they get the story and characters right again.

I never really had any love for the originals, but that trailer is great. I got a huge Blade Runner crossed with Batman Begins vibe from it (probably largely down to the character sounding exactly like Bale's Batman). :tup:

*Sobs into his motherboard*

I really need to upgrade my computer. It's finally hit its limit at how far I can take a 7 year old mobo and CPU and still play games with any sort of reasonable FPS/graphics. Ah well, it was inevitable.

As for the game itself, aside from graphics, color me sequelitis-wary.

The trailer looked cool, but frankly, I couldn't stand Deus Ex. I know it's heresy to say that, but I found it extremely difficult to play. Maybe it's my dislike of shooters.

I never really had any love for the originals, but that trailer is great. I got a huge Blade Runner crossed with Batman Begins vibe from it (probably largely down to the character sounding exactly like Bale's Batman). :tup:

I somewhy got a Robocop vibe instead

I got the vibe from the trailer that it's pretty much "meh" to me, but my opinion isn't really counting as I've actually never played much of Deus Ex.

I have the first one as two copies, one bought big boxed version and one from the Steam sale a while ago. I've only played a little bit from the start of Deus Ex about 5 years ago?

Second one I've only experienced through a demo years ago.

My memory may be horribly damaged due to excessive drinking, drug use and trauma from high-impact sports, but I remember Deus Ex (and even the sequel) being a sneaking-around game, at least the way I played it. I hope they didn't show any sneaking around because it wouldn't fit with their awesome explosive trailer, and not because there won't be any sneaking around.

I just considered doing that thing Star Wars fans do when you talk about the the newer films, only with Deus Ex, and act all confused when people refer to Deus Ex 2, and make a huge point of not knowing what they're talking about. Luckily I decided against it, but it was a close call.

I hope they didn't show any sneaking around because it wouldn't fit with their awesome explosive trailer, and not because there won't be any sneaking around.

Someone I follow on Twitter pointed out that sneaking gameplay is pretty hard to show in a trailer. They might be right, but I'm worried because when he kills people in the trailer, it's pretty over the top :tmeh:

Someone I follow on Twitter pointed out that sneaking gameplay is pretty hard to show in a trailer.
I get that, but I'm pretty sure it's not so much hard to depict sneaking in an interesting way as it is very easy and safe to just show a bunch of killing and explosions. It probably says more about the target audience the marketing department is going for than it does about the game itself. I don't remember seeing any trailers for the two previous games -- maybe they came out before trailers were viable for on-line marketing.

They did have that brain-hacking thing, which suggests sneaky gameplay more than gung ho action.

I'd imagine the stealth gameplay will be retained. It's a bit like how the Metal Gear Solid trailers are typically packed with action, whereas in reality you spend most of your time creeping around.

The prominence of the invisibility stuff would indicate there'll be a lot of stealth type stuff, particularly that bit where he arseholes the guy using the keypad or whatever. I'm guessing most of the fancy moves like crushing heads can be done quietly if desired.

Probably end up being a bit like Crysis: you can play it MGS-style or Gears of War-style.

I am going to begin by saying that I have yet to play Deus Ex (or its much maligned sequel, Invisible War). I really want to, I just haven't gotten around to it, yet. Trying to clear out my backlog a bit. It's at the top of my next-cheap-game-to-buy-list, though. Sounds right up my alley.

This sequel looks neat. It sounds neat. There's a lot I like about it. I am definitely looking forward to it.

However! I hate regenerating health. At least, the kind that regenerates from a sliver of health all the way up to full health just because you're hiding behind a wall. It has its place, but I don't think the FPS genre is in that place. I hope they do it in a way that doesn't make the game stupid easy.

Next! I hate when games switch from first- to third-person for any reason whatsoever. It completely bypasses the entire reason I play first-person perspective games! I enjoy both the immersion factor AND the lack of a god-like perspective on the battle in which I am participating! If I can go into cover in a FP game, I shouldn't be able to see behind a wall in the opposite direction from which my character is looking! Argh! And these third-person stealth kills? WHY!?

Ugh.

Okay, that's out of my system. Like I said, I think the game sounds neat. I am looking forward to it. Definitely. Not least because I love the setting and aesthetic style! I remain optimistic in regards to the over-the-top action bullshit in the trailer. Developers and/or publishers seem to love showing off that kind of shit, even if it isn't always indicative of the actual core gameplay.

My memory may be horribly damaged due to excessive drinking, drug use and trauma from high-impact sports, but I remember Deus Ex (and even the sequel) being a sneaking-around game, at least the way I played it. I hope they didn't show any sneaking around because it wouldn't fit with their awesome explosive trailer, and not because there won't be any sneaking around.

The whole point of Deus Ex was that you could approach it any way you wanted - gung-ho, sneaky, tactical, technical or whatever else you could think of.

If they have lost that from the new game, than it isn't really Deus Ex.

Clearly it should be called "D333 33 III". I have never played the second one; however, I do own it... just haven't found a reason to pick it up based on what I have heard. I would just rather fall in love with the first one again... which is what I may do in the future.