Snooglebum

Soundtracks for the video-games, and your most beloved ones

I posted this a millenium ago, but still:

Also, the Word of goo soundtrack is free if you have 5 seconds to find it. It is probably one of the rare soundtracs that I can listen without playing the game(still the qualaty of soundtrack should be rated in referance to game not by itself ex.:Half Life)

Also, you can get DoW2 soundtrack free from Steam.

Also, I should probably stop using also.

Also,....

Oh man, how did I forget about the World of Goo soundtrack? I enjoy how ridiculously epic some of the songs are, yet they manage to fit with the imagery of dragging goo balls around.

Here's the soundtrack, for those too lazy to look: http://kylegabler.com/WorldOfGooSoundtrack/

It's all about Super Mario Galaxy.

The sheer whimsy of Gutsy Garden makes my spine dance with excitement.

A0R6FnpqylE

Oh. Man.

One of my favorite soundtracks is Donkey Kong Country. Though the game itself is pretty mediocre, I loooove the soundtrack. (I never played DKC2 or 3. I hear 2 is the best.)

UrOsS3EV_lA

Another is Legend of Mana. I love everything about this game. It is one of my favorite games ever, and is the best Mana game by far, in my opinion. (I am well aware I am in the minority.) But most of all, the music is so great. Yoko Shimomura is probably my favorite video game composer.

AZn0C-uraj0

Turrican 2 intro:

Fvha_2hAzq0

Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge 2 intro:

LQSsq7HCNHw

Holy shit, I want back to my childhood to play these all day long and don't care anything about anything else.

Edited by Kolzig

The Cannon Fodder theme:

e7YW5tmlsLo

And the Chaos Engine theme:

55jpHprP_ao

Yay Amiga games!

I love the monkey island soundtrack, and I seem to remember having loved the Grim Fandango one as well, though I haven't played that game in far too long.

It's wildly inappropriate most of the time, but I really like the music from Deadly Premonition.

Pheonix Wright's soundtrack is amazing in that it hits home whatever plot point you happen to be stumbling upon at the moment. It's surprisingly epic for a game about being a lawyer.

Everyone's already completely named everything I really love, so I guess all I can add at this point is the music for the Kyrandia series. The tracks for the second and third games are somewhat iffy sometimes, but the first one is uniformly great.

Two favorites:

(skip to like 3 minutes for the credits theme)

I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Persona 4 has a pretty good soundtrack and Tropico 3's soundtrack is awesome.

Peggle has a great soundtrack in that it is nothing but Ode to Joy.

Also, World of Warcraft's soundtrack is perfectly crafted, most people don't really pay any attention to it which is one of the reasons that it is perfect.

The worst soundtrack ever would have to be Far Cry 2, why even have music? So stupid.

Amiga had an incredible library of great games and game musics.

DanJW put two great ones there, Cannon Fodder's music I will remember always.

Chaos Engine is just one of the many amazing games Bitmap Brothers made. Xenon 2, Speedball 2 had some really cool musics as well.

Here's Xenon 2 intro:

Speedball 2:

Tropico 3's soundtrack is awesome.

Yeah, it fits the game really well. There could have been a lot more songs, though. Perhaps even different radio stations. Just finished all 15 levels in the campaign and I'm a bit too familiar with all the songs and every piece of radio commentary in the game.

Also gonna go ahead and be That Guy and point out that my other absolute favorite PS1 game, Chrono Cross, also has a super fantastic oh-god-i-love-it soundtrack.

Also gonna go ahead and be That Guy and point out that my other absolute favorite PS1 game, Chrono Cross, also has a super fantastic oh-god-i-love-it soundtrack.

Chrono Trigger had fantastic music, I wonder if it was by the same guy...

Chrono Trigger had fantastic music, I wonder if it was by the same guy...

Yasunori Mitsuda. Yes.

Though when he did Chrono Trigger it kind of feels like he was trying to be like Nobuo Uematsu (and also I think Uematsu had a part in the soundtrack, from what Wikipedia tells me!). With Chrono Cross he found himself, as it were.

I vastly, vastly prefer Cross. Trigger is still good, though.

I would also second the World of Goo and Wind Waker nominations.

The original Gabriel Knight theme is one of my favs:

http://queststudios.com/2010/digital/quest/gk1_1.mp3

Another Sierra title, Space Quest III:

http://www.spacequest.net/sq3/soundtrack/SQ3_01-%20Introduction.mp3

Also, just about anything from Grasshopper:

NeFsV2aHRg8

And, of course, everything in Phoenix Wright is amazing:

NM5QSk2mCe8

Burnout: Paradise has a pretty hit and miss soundtrack but there are some stand out tracks.

As Chris has previously mentioned it is pretty fantastic to wreck a billion cars while listening to Vivaldi.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFEiK4w26rM&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFEiK4w26rM&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Quadralien. A whitakker tune. What a ridiculously unforgiving game this was. I can't find a copy of the music without the sound effects.

The LucasArts soundtracks are great in-game, but let's be honest — who can sit down and listen to this on its own?

TmZ_sI0EAb0

The Dig is really the only LucasArts soundtrack that I can enjoy as a stand-alone piece of music. You can get it here for free. Brilliant ambient music

Braid and Machinarium both have brilliant music.

The Neverhood has fun music too:

sYWjBNyhM08

The greatest piece of music ever written:

Wufos0c_7Rw

Just the end tag bit. :)

The LucasArts soundtracks are great in-game, but let's be honest — who can sit down and listen to this on its own?

What?! Seriously? I've completely worn out my Grim CD and case by listening to it on its own over the years maybe way too many times. That soundtrack was made and edited to be quite listenable.

While The Dig is great and I also have that whole CD, I tend to start getting sleepy around track 7 or 8.

Nobody with this one yet?

Secret of Mana:

SnsJI4rmoVE

I know it may be nostalgia talking here, but the beauty of the opening piece, "Angel's Fear" is amazing - even more so when you know the story and ending of the game. It is composed by Hiroki Kikuta. I also love this OverClocked Remix of it: http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01172/

I also love tons of Mega Man stuff as other people mentioned, but I think some of the best of it was in Mega Man X:

ADK_l9uz_C0

It lacks some of the sophistication that some of the later in the series were to perform, but the energy (albeit a bit cheesy for some now) is intense all throughout.

Some of my other favorites that have already been mentioned: Portal, Deus Ex, and Donkey Kong Country. I want to put some Half-Life stuff in there, but only a couple tracks from each game have been "really good".

I can't speak on the quality of Dark Void, but I do know that I love the soundtrack, which was composed by Bear McCreary (of Battlestar Galactica fame):

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVu5tbkf6SA&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVu5tbkf6SA&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

sqA0ouv_XDA

yVezLpFjMpA

mWHu79H6kdM

o2idyeFWdmA

9qFrKruMpGg

rv7xaPVigGA

DfMeH_EpqSU

5xeyCgAe66k

6erC93RvZeI