Snooglebum

Soundtracks for the video-games, and your most beloved ones

So, there's a thread somewhere on the Idle Forums about how fucked you are if you enter the video game industry. And I started asking about how soundtrack-makers and sound designers would fit it, which completely derailed the thread. Then I somehow killed it.

So I wanted to make a thread in the appropriate place: right here.

(Warning: I may get pretentious.)

I'll start things off. First of all: Amercian McGee's Alice. This may seem like an odd choice, but it's one of those soundtracks that fits the game perfectly. Chris Vrenna constructed the soundtracks out of children's instruments (toy pianos and the like), strings, and ambient noises, like slamming doors.

(I'll just post links, because this post is going to be long enough already.)

Taking Tea in Dreamland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnl5hGbCWpM&feature=related

Pandemonium:

Also, Deus Ex has a fantastic soundtrack. Alexander Brandon, Michiel Van Den Bos, and... someone else give the game a unique feel, through silky-smooth synth lines that lend the game an element of mystery.

UNATCO Theme:

Versalife:

Finally, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. It seems I'm in the minority when I say that I loved that game, but there's probably no argument on the soundtracks of Zelda games. With a Zelda game, you mostly know what to expect, but the artist responsible for the soundtrack (I can't remember his complicated japanese name) mixes things up.

Dragon Roost Island: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIu5LvkSKl4

Dragon Roost Island Again:

How about y'all? What are your favorites?

Tomáš Dvořák's Machinarium Soundtrack. :tup: It fits, or sets, the mood of the game fantastically and works really well on its own too.

XHPjpflNssY

That is actually the only game soundtrack I own and one of the few I have really paid any attention to. ;(

Tomáš Dvořák's Machinarium Soundtrack. :tup: It fits, or sets, the mood of the game fantastically and works really well on its own too.

XHPjpflNssY

That is actually the only game soundtrack I own and one of the few I have really paid any attention to. ;(

Ooh, that really is lovely. I may need to investigate that soundtrack. I've never played the game(adventure games aren't my thing), but that song alone makes me want to play it.

If you like Deus Ex' music you'll also love the Music from Unreal, it's mostly by the same people.

It includes gems like:

Bluff Eversmoking:

Or from the expansion Return to Na Pai:

Nagomi Passage (Day):

Unreal was quite awesome with it's music. They but at lot of attention to it with proper mood and dynamic switching to intense segments when there was action.

Daikatana also has quite some good tracks. But most of the time the music doesn't contribute much to the mood of the game and actually feels a bit alien. My favorites are: E1C and E4C (sorry, no youtube links).

Mass Effect does have a very good soundtrack. Jack Wall and Sam Hulick created the same space like music that was used in SciFi movies from the 80s and early 90s. Some tracks really capture the silence and deadness of space, like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCWfDqbCajU or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfKXU4jbdPk

Crusader: No Remorse also has some interesting music. Most of the time the music is, just like the levels, packed with action. When when you return to the rebel base between missions you are treated with very relaxing and sort of depressing music like this:

It really reflects the mood of the people in the rebel base.

Diablo... 'nuf said:

The Neverhood's soundtrack is special. It always puts a smile on my face:

It's goofy music for a goofy world.

Overal MDK2 doesn't have a very good soundtrack, but there is one track that realy stands out:

It's the song you hear when you're battling one of the coolest bosses every: Shwing Shwang.

Oh, and there's the absolutely awesome soundtrack of Professor Layton And The Curious Village. For example:

or
(it's very Ástor Piazzolla, "Punta del Este", which was also used in The Simpsons' Yokel Chords episode, and of course 12 monkeys ) Edited by elmuerte

Most game music I like I like for the memories they conjure up, and not for the music itself, I think. Also, I often notice specific melodies and tracks I like, that are really different from all the rest of the music. An example is the track Vigil from the Mass Effect sountrack. I've probably listened to it fifty times. The other tracks I've played through once, at most. Other examples are Baba Yetu and track 4 from Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge.

Looking at my folder of game music (called _-=Spelmusikk=-_) I see games like Arcanum, Battle Squadron, Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball, the Fallouts, everything GTA, everything Phonenix Wright, LBA 1 & 2, Everything Myst, Outcast, Rick Dangerous, Shadow of the [beast/Beast 2/Colossus], Everything Silent Hill, The Incredible Machine, Everything The Sims and Transport Tycoon. Most of this is stuff I probably wouldn't listen to twice if it didn't make me all fuzzy with childhood/adolescence/prime of my life memories.

The Outcast OST is one of my favourites. All orchestral, which was very rare in the time Outcast came out.

YveZ6ZJEHzA

Some of my favourites include:

Unreal Tournament 2004, This song pretty much sums up the time I have spent with UT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HwGqmeMCes&feature=player_embedded

The whole Battlefield series, particularly the 1943 theme

Chaos Theory

The Halo series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WtBjHL8KXE&feature=player_embedded

Most recently Red Dead Redemption

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkiyMZnrb9s&feature=player_embedded

I always loved "All Hallow's Sunset" from Unreal:

Those guys really know how to make .mods work.

My nomination is: Ecco the Dolphin 2: The Tides of Time (Megadrive).

What's nice about the Ecco series is that the two megadrive games had remakes on the Mega CD that featured really nice redbook audio Spencer Nielsen soundtracks which are excellent in their own right, but I still side with the megadrive music for the sweet tunes, yo:

Even so, the Mega CD version has a lovely ST unfettered by the Megadrive's audio limitations (ecco 1 megacd also sounds great):

Edited by Twilo

ONSUW8yzV0w

The original music from Cave Story makes me all tingly (particularly Moon Song), but Toblix may have a point- I'm not sure most of the sparse chiptune stuff I listen to would mean anything if it didn't conjure imagery and feelings from when I played the games... Still, there's something to be said for the minimalist approach that always stays with me. 8/16 Bit style game soundtracks are always so memorable and easy to whistle/hum due to their simplicity.

To bring up something fresh in my mind due to play, the soundtracks to both Super Mario Galaxy games represent my "high water" mark for conjuring those nostalgic feelings based on previous play while still being amazing standalone orchestral works.

Most of the oldschool Lucasarts adventure games had brilliant soundtracks, in particular Grim Fandango and The Dig. The biker rock sections of Full Throttle were also incredibly well-suited to the game.

(MixNMojo have many of the LA games' soundtracks available for download)

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is, to date, the only game soundtrack album I've ever bought. It's beautifully composed and produced, and really captures the mood of the various regions of the game, from the Wild West to the native tribal areas and the ending set in a massive industrial complex.

Beyond Good and Evil's soundtrack was a total mixed bag of styles in a brilliant sort of way.

Ahh, the music in Grim Fandango was indeed great! Mafia had really nice, fitting soundtrack as well with Django Reinhardt, Mills Brothers, Lois Armstrong and so on.

I love the old tunes for the Amiga era.

Especially musics that Chris Hüelsbeck made for Rainbow Arts and Turrican II was the best. Great game and great soundtrack.

Also the old Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge games had really nice soundtracks, the third game had one slighty altered song from Zool.

All the old LucasArts musics are classics of course.

There's a lot of good stuff in the Megaman soundtracks. Dr Wily's Fortress is really memorable and from that I've seen many fan made covers in the net with electric guitars and such.

Yeah, the old LucasArts soundtracks were really really good. I also love

's, most of the score for Shadow of the Colossus,
(both original and licensed),
, and a decent chunk from the Metal Gear Solid games.

Yeh, I love the Grim Fandango soundtrack. thorn mentioned BGE. I love that soundtrack. It manages to be fairly light and easily enjoyable, like the rest of the game, while still being interesting.

Also, while I wouldn't call Half Life 2's music memorable, it contributed to one of my most memorable game music moments: When the soundtrack kicks in during the final battle of Episode 2, it just worked.

DUCK TALES MOFOS!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_80PQ543rM&hl=es_ES&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_80PQ543rM&hl=es_ES&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Also Castlevania!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjazC45Qkww&hl=es_ES&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjazC45Qkww&hl=es_ES&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DUCK TALES MOFOS!

Shit yes. I can't tell you how often that tune got stuck in my head. xD

EsYjN4wFw4o

Everything you clicked on in HoMM3 was followed by a treat for your ears. Basically anything Jeremy Soule has composed is also great.

Most game music I like I like for the memories they conjure up, and not for the music itself, I think.

^ This. I never listen to music from Megaman 2, but the soundtrack brings back some amazing feelings.

I know it's a bit lame but the Super Mario Bros tune would probably be my number one. Again for the memories; of hanging about in arcades paying video games and the tune always being there in the background.

You know, this one..

I know it's a bit lame but the Super Mario Bros tune would probably be my number one. Again for the memories; of hanging about in arcades paying video games and the tune always being there in the background.

You know, this one..

Mario land had a better one.

X6CXSTBaUsk

Yeah that's right Miffy, fuck you.

I posted this a millenium ago, but still:

Not many people know that you can get free Orange box soundtrack with Audiosurf. Just go: -steam-steamapps-common-audiosurf-engine-orange box soundrack- and you must copy it, not extract. Enjoy in your free but legaly paid OB sountrack.

Edit: And it works for demo too.

Also, the Word of goo soundtrack is free if you have 5 seconds to find it. It is probably one of the rare soundtracs that I can listen without playing the game(still the qualaty of soundtrack should be rated in referance to game not by itself ex.:Half Life)

Also, you can get DoW2 soundtrack free from Steam.

Also, I should probably stop using also.

Also,....

^ This. I never listen to music from Megaman 2, but the soundtrack brings back some amazing feelings.

Nostalgia goggles are great. Speaking of which; Pokémon!

2QeiH70AUU4

That tune right there is pretty much my entire childhood.

One thing that I forgot. There is some podcast that someone from PAX meet up makes with his brother(I think it is Growing up geek) and he talked that episode after PAX about how to get into industry/how he is trying to get with some advice from profesionals.