Sign in to follow this  
Drath

RetroN 3

I've been getting progressively more and more depressed lately. I pulled one of my NES consoles out the other day to play some Fester's Quest (don't hate me)... and it didn't power on. Luckily I had a back-up. A few weeks later, I was craving some Jurassic Park for the SEGA Genesis... only to find my genesis seems to be in some type of magnetic battle with my TV - the picture is too distorted now, something to do with the video output, it's broken. I do not have a back-up. Luckily I have two SNES consoles and they are both fine (for now). I'm depressed because it's getting harder and more expensive to keep replacing these aging consoles. Emulation is fine, but I'm a collector... I want to play these carts on my 42" LCD sitting/laying on my couch.

I've looked at a lot of these "hybrid" new consoles but most of them are reviewed poorly; however, something new hit the market: The RetroN 3.

http://hyperkin.com/index.php/retro-system-retron-3.html

From what I can gather from online, it truly is the best hybrid machine out there right now - and best of all, this is the only unit with SNES/NES/GEN support AND support for their original controllers. It's pretty cheap too. I think I am going to get this. Anybody have any insights on this situation?

There has been noted compatibility issues with these types of systems with newer/advanced carts like Super Mario RPG... but haven't heard about things like that for this one.

Edited by Drath

From what I've heard, reversed engineered hardware since the original hardware patents are expiring/expired. But since there is three of them, this would only be true if there was three separate processors inside this thing - which could very well be true, or maybe simply different configurations for one generic processor? I'm not a hardware kind of guy so I have no clue. Probably magic.

I'm going to drag this thread back to life in order to ask... does anyone know of a UK-based (or European) reseller that stocks the RetroN3?

I've been wanting one of these things for several years but the substantial shipping and import tax fees I'd be facing have put me off (it more than doubles the cost).

If I can make this a general Famiclone thread for a moment; I've been humming and hawing for years about getting a Retro Duo (console version), my NES finally broke down this year, I haven't been able to repair it myself, and just now I got an Amazon gift card as a present that would cover most of the cost. All of the research I've done indicates that if you're only looking for NES, SNES, and Super Famicom games, Retro Duo is the way to go since it can still run some of the special carts that other systems have trouble with (ie: Super Mario RPG works just fine as of the first hardware revision). And as a nice bonus, it's the only one that isn't butt-ugly. Anyone have any hands-on experience with one?

I generally avoid any of these combination consoles because of issues with NES sound emulation, SNES compatability, and very rarely any kind of S-Video support.

Better off just owning the original systems just for less headaches.

The Retro Duo has NES sound issues, but it's an easy enough fix with some simple soldering. And it can do S-Video for SNES titles, too! Really the only reason why I'm having trouble deciding if I want one or not is because I'm objectively better off just rebuying my games on Virtual Console. I actually already have most of my SNES games on VC already. But I really like the idea of having a cartridge unit for those games you find at yard sales and such. And for the stuff that will never ever be rereleased (ie: I keep an N64 around pretty much exclusively for when I finally track down another copy of Beetle Adventure Racing).

Just realized this topic got stirred up again. I did in fact get the console way back when. It is generally good, it plays all the special carts that I have tried. The ONLY issue that I have with it was the controllers it came with and the sound. S-Video/Composite is a really nice touch.

Basically, throw the controllers out, and get original NES/SNES/GEN controllers - which is why I love this console in the first place, the ability to use the original controllers. The ones it comes with are laggy (RF) and cheap feeling.

On the second note, about sound. It does NES perfect; however, SNES sound seems a bit too overblown/loud, and GEN sounds less "bassy" then their real counterparts. Which is really strange, it seems like this would be an easy fix just to tweak after they throw the chip in.

The real reason I am replying though is, the RetroN 4 was announced featuring:

• HDMI output
  • Game Boy Advance support (but not original Game Boy or Color? Weird...)
  • Bluetooth wireless controllers (YES!)
  • PAL and NTSC compatible

Given those points, and how cheap these things are, I most likely will pick one up. RetroN 4 is unveiled tomorrow.

I really hope it's not as ugly as the Retron 3; which is the main reason why it never interested me, as shallow as that sounds. HDMI-out sounds fantastic, though.

So the RetroN4 is now the RetroN5. Besides the awkwardness, I'm pretty excited about this. I guess it will in fact play original GB/GBC games as well, so this is more like the RetroN 9 with PAL/NTSC.

...Why would they give the controller an analog stick instead of a d-pad?