Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Pretty graphics

Thanks for the deviant art link, I've seen this post from 3 different sources since the login lockout. I guess they're getting hammered.

It's beautiful, but whenever I see Crysis mods, I wonder what's the difference between this "game" and some scene in a top of the line 3d modeling tool. Realistically is it ever going to be played, or is it just an artwork?

His description said it would be playable at a reasonable FPS. Dunno what kind of hardware that'd take, but there you go.

I would kill several mans to have environments like that in all my games.

Also, I feel like there has to have been at this point, but I can't think of a single game that had environments as rich as that.

The problem is 90 of gamers would run through that whole thing in eight seconds saying "nice fantasy castle, fag!"

*Retrieves his jaw from the basement*

My only complaint here is that it's the CryEngine, and I don't know how that would do for, say, a third-person RPG.

Not sure how this sort of environment lends itself to an FPS. Ah well.

Still, amazing work.

*Retrieves his jaw from the basement*

My only complaint here is that it's the CryEngine, and I don't know how that would do for, say, a third-person RPG.

Not sure how this sort of environment lends itself to an FPS. Ah well.

Still, amazing work.

It's an art piece rendered in "real time" it has nothing to do with game-play. A lot of 3d artists do pieces like this either in real time or not to show modeling/texturing skill.

It seems silly to make a practical level art for your own personal portfolio when the final result is a few jpegs or a 30 second clip; unless your trying to learn something or prove it.

Really just look at it as an artist using the CryEngine as an outlet to render, nothing more then that.

It's an art piece rendered in "real time" it has nothing to do with game-play. A lot of 3d artists do pieces like this either in real time or not to show modeling/texturing skill.

It seems silly to make a practical level art for your own personal portfolio when the final result is a few jpegs or a 30 second clip; unless your trying to learn something or prove it.

Really just look at it as an artist using the CryEngine as an outlet to render, nothing more then that.

In this case, it's stupendous. I'd still like to see that setting as a game, mind you.

The problem is 90 of gamers would run through that whole thing in eight seconds saying "nice fantasy castle, fag!"

Although 9 times out of 10 this would be a pacing issue and not a result of gamers' short attention spans. I'm always impressed when developers manage to craft FPSs (or other action-oriented games) that, through whatever means necessary, encourage the player to become deeply immersed in their environments without going out of their way.

In this case, it's stupendous. I'd still like to see that setting as a game, mind you.

Totally