Sombre

Dwarf Fortress: Succession Fort!

So, Dwarf Fortress aims to become a 'fantasy realm simulator', but it's not quite there yet. In its current stage, you can manage a single colony of dwarves and guide them either to riches or their demise. The simulation aspect of it is pretty deep; each dwarf will have their own unique personality quirks, appearances, skills, etc. Dwarf Fortress has a bit of a reputation as being hard to get into, and given the game's default look, it's not hard to see why. While the base game is completely in ASCII, there are mods (like Mike Mayday's ) which make it a bit easier on the eyes.

So, would any of you be interested in a succession fort? What that is basically, is we get 4/5 of us, play it for 6 months/1 year game time (Can decide if we get people), do a thorough writeup, and pass it onto the next person

For an example, see Boatmurdered here

Would anyone be interested in this perhaps? Players of all skill are welcomed and encouraged! Having an experienced player pass it on to a new player is also fun, as reading about how they manage, or don't, is often hilarious!

There's a lovely robust and indepth guide here should it interest you somewhat

Would love to get this kind of thing underway. Thoughts?

Collaborative gaming is an awesome idea, although I guess the chances of everybody who sign up actually getting to to play are slim, especially with newbies earlier in the chain. How long would those 6 months to a year take in non-dwarven time? Also, how much effort do you have to put into reading up to be able to play?

Also, I'm completely interested.

Collaborative gaming is an awesome idea, although I guess the chances of everybody who sign up actually getting to to play are slim, especially with newbies earlier in the chain. How long would those 6 months to a year take in non-dwarven time? Also, how much effort do you have to put into reading up to be able to play?

Also, I'm completely interested.

6 months is like, 2 seasons ingame. I couldn't say without testing, but that'd be roughly 5/6 hours maybe? Depending on who/if we get people, I'm sure we can collaborate things quite well. It's a surprising amount of depth, I'm afraid. It's the kind of thing that's pretty hard to get into, but that's just because of the SHEER depth that goes into it. It's essentially an engine built for emergent outcomes (Think a tile based FARCRY 2 I suppose). But that's one of the good things about it really. Even if you fuck up, you still have something brilliant to write about or experience, and let the next person catch up on it. I'd suggest reading the Boatmurdered for the kind of thing we'd have to put up with. I can field a lot of questions if you have any.

Also this.

1380373-1270762386434.jpg

5/6 hours for a year...I must be playing it differently^^

I get through around 3 years in that time. Thouhg i am a beginner so maybe my assigning tons of repeat constructions, cuttings and digging and then leaving it running in the background might speed things up.

I'd love to do this though!

I use the nice looking version, the one that is used in the tutorial posted in the other thread. does that make a difference to saves?

I'd be up for this! I'm still getting to grips with the game but I reckon it would be a lot of fun to see what happens between us.

What version were you thinking of using? I've been using the 2010 version for a a little while now but I'm thinking that 40d might be a better bet, if only because there's more tutorials and info on it already.

Everytime i think of this i think of those pictures you draw of people where you each take a section blind.

I'm sure looking forward to a bellydance robot afro dwarf fortress.

Did you guys actually get around to doing this? Or did it die in the womb?

Either way, I'm sitting here in one of my manic states (brain going at high speed, everything seems like it's being performed way slower, but everything looks faster. ARGH.) playing that tutorial and blazing ahead of it in a couple places, and enjoying myself immensely. So if people are still willing to do this, I could place my newb-ass-self at the end of the turn list, and if/when I fuck it over, we can just load the previous save, and I can keep practicing until my turn comes around again.

SOMEONE WRITE DOWN NAMES.

Orvidos is gonna splode.

Will make a list soon. Sorry, been busy with WoW.

I could make all these horrible WoW jokes, but I think this will suffice.

"*Points at WoW* My dwarves can beat up your dwarves."

Here is a list, but i'm not very good at taking lists:

1) Sombre

2) Toblix

3) dibs

4) F4T C4T

5) Orvidos

6) SGP?

I don't mind where i am, but i'd rather not start.

Since there are so few perhaps we could take a later stage of development again? Unless we get trampled that is.

Seeing as I haven't gotten around to to trying the game out, you might want to take me off the list, as I'd probable kill all the dwarves.

I'm STILL without internet at home (which is a major pain in the arse when it comes to online gaming. I'm switching providers now as it's been almost a month and they still can't tell me what the problem is!), but as long as I can download the files from work here I'm still good for this at least!

Are we doing the 1 year each thing? Might be better to do a couple if there's only a few of us. Or we could keep cycling it around until we encounter the inevitable 'fun'.

Count me out. I'd like to learn to play Dwarf Fortress but not with someone else's colony. I would ruin it and make it a goblin brothel or something by mistake.

I thought the point of Dwarf Fortress was to have everything go to shit by accident. Also it's way more fun to read about fuck ups than some boring ass fortress where everything works like it's supposed to.

I thought the point of Dwarf Fortress was to have everything go to shit by accident. Also it's way more fun to read about fuck ups than some boring ass fortress where everything works like it's supposed to.

DF = Losing = Fun, as it were.

That's why things like SparkGear and Boatmurdered are so interesting. Everything goes to pot so quickly.

This is a game that sounds like something I'd be really interested in, but whenever I look it up I have no idea what I am looking at.

It seems the cost of entry is high. : (

Na, it ain't so bad. Just think of what you want to do and do it.

The iffy shortcut structure became second nature to me pretty quickly even!

re goblin brothel: if you could do that i would consider it the most best DF ever.

This is a game that sounds like something I'd be really interested in, but whenever I look it up I have no idea what I am looking at.

It seems the cost of entry is high. : (

There are tilesets for the weak minded (myself, for instance) that turn it into a more brain-accepted 8-bit graphical style.

There are tilesets for the weak minded (myself, for instance) that turn it into a more brain-accepted 8-bit graphical style.

Yeah I'm apparently using one, but I'm really a big fan of game art, so this needs to go quite a bit further to captivate me. That being said, it doesn't need to be said, so I don't want to be "that guy" bitching about the graphics of Dwarf Fortress.

Ok, so day 2, I have some stuff going, I guess it's alright.But seriously, "Where's the game?!" lol, just joking, but honestly I'm getting the impression this is a game that I admire just out of the sheer size of it and systems involved, I want to hear about other peoples games and think it's the neatest thing ever, it's just something I don't enjoy doing myself.

I started up Dungeon Keeper yesterday just because of that feeling(which, I never noticed until now, but wtf, DK 1's first few missions are exactly the first few missions of DK2, like gold placement is nearly identical, tutorial stuff is identical... that's kind of a disappointing realization, especially when I can't even remember the difference between the two games other then a few minor improvements... anyway not to derail...

So I think I need a game like Dwarf Fortress, but more Dungeon Keeper, but more Dwarf Fortress then Dungeon Keeper since its a little too straight forward and simplistic at this point.

Edit: Ok tried the Phoebus skin, looks cleaner then the Mayday one to me. Tried to start a real game now.... ;( this thing is a lot bigger then I imagined it, like how its generating the world and how you start in it, it's actually really incredible, I'm thinking this may be the reason why it's ASCII. Unfortunately I think the version that works with Phoebus is really odl because the hotkeys aren't working and a lot of minor things that don't work as well, phooey.

Edited by Murdoc

Yeah, I also use the phoebus tileset. I just can't handle the pure ASCII. It took me a few attempts before I 'got' Dwarf Fortress. I was always intrigued by what it was doing, but it was only when I discovered the tile sets I could actually stomach to sit down and learn it (I wouldn't say you play Dwarf Fortress).

Also it's scary how quickly everything started to make sense. As everyone who plays it knows, it is definitely clunky to use, but it's not impossible. The guide Sombre linked to at the start is how I finally managed to crack it.

Yeah, I also use the phoebus tileset. I just can't handle the pure ASCII. It took me a few attempts before I 'got' Dwarf Fortress. I was always intrigued by what it was doing, but it was only when I discovered the tile sets I could actually stomach to sit down and learn it (I wouldn't say you play Dwarf Fortress).

Also it's scary how quickly everything started to make sense. As everyone who plays it knows, it is definitely clunky to use, but it's not impossible. The guide Sombre linked to at the start is how I finally managed to crack it.

You wouldn't happen to have a version of the phoebus tile set that works with the version the tutorial works on? There are just little key commands and stuff that seemed more improved over the version I have with phoebus.

The mayday stuff was neat, but phoebus actually made things distinguishable to me and just enhanced my enjoyment by quite a bit, but then I press a hotkey that should work and it doesn't so that decreases my enjoyment.

Either way, I think at this point I'm "studying" the game, I'm immensely curious about the systems and everything going on, this is kind of taking the stuff that got me into game design(Populous, civ, sim city, dk) and excites the hell out of me, it's just this goes beyond any reasonable scope into something super hardcore and nerdy.

So it might not be something I'd sit down and play, but just to explore what the hell this game is doing is just fucking fantastic. I really the feeling of whatever I am getting out of this.