Sign in to follow this  
Squid Division

Red Thumb Redemption

I probably won't be in. My copy hasn't arrived, though I might head to town later and try to find a copy, though I expect it's still sold out everywhere.

I probably won't be in. My copy hasn't arrived, though I might head to town later and try to find a copy, though I expect it's still sold out everywhere.

Tell a lie.

Whoo! My copy arrived today! I intend to start on the single player tonight and if there's a future game I can make I'll be in.

That was a ton of fun. I especially liked the bare-knuckle boxing in between sessions.

Patters was especially adept at getting us through the modes, especially considering he had only gotten the game earlier that day. Cheers

Man, I'd love to join, but it's too much hassle dragging my Xbox to an internetconnection at work =( Have fun though, you lot!

Patters was especially adept at getting us through the modes, especially considering he had only gotten the game earlier that day. Cheers

He may be new to this game, but he's an old hand at being party leader in GTA. Perhaps he's getting a feel for Rockstar's ... unique approach to multiplayer lobby design.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun. Sorry if I got a bit whiny towards the end there. I was enjoying myself really. What's the plan for future sessions? I would be free most evenings if they weren't already taken for other Thumbs games. Also, I recommend perhaps spending a little more time in free roam next time. We could give the achievement a go, and generally move around as a group a bit more. Only if you guys want, of course. It could be quite cool in a public game, though, I think.

I have this great fear that by the time I'm done with single player and ready for some hot posse action, you're all cowboyed out. I guess I should hurry up and play.

He may be new to this game, but he's an old hand at being party leader in GTA. Perhaps he's getting a feel for Rockstar's ... unique approach to multiplayer lobby design.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun. Sorry if I got a bit whiny towards the end there. I was enjoying myself really. What's the plan for future sessions? I would be free most evenings if they weren't already taken for other Thumbs games. Also, I recommend perhaps spending a little more time in free roam next time. We could give the achievement a go, and generally move around as a group a bit more. Only if you guys want, of course. It could be quite cool in a public game, though, I think.

Yeah the interface is at it's core a simplified version of the GTA4 phone. Without a way to customise games, it's all entirely random.

There are a few other complete oversights with the multiplayer game types; the most prevalent of which would be the lack of: races, a cops and crooks game type and a survival mode akin to the Battle of the Alamo.

I really hope they patch some of this in.

This is pretty stupid. If there is one thing I was completely certain of, it would be that they would be so much aware of all their UI failings with GTA IV that the multiplayer UI for RDR would be flawless. Now, I won't be surprised if they release DLC packages that replace multiplayer modes instead of adding them, and have the same bullshit problems with reloading the entire game if you drop out.

There are some really fucking stupid decisions which thinking about annoys me. Not being able to specify a game is idiotic. Say we wanted to start playing fire bomb matches, in the same way we play rocket matches on GTA, then not only that we cannot specify where we fight.

Of course this is to make matchmaking easier, but it ends up affecting those that want to play specific games. If I wanted to jump in and play a random game, I would play public games, which is something I can do in every other bloody multiplayer game in the past half a decade.

I would go as far as to say that this game is the polar opposite of Something like Forza, or Halo. I really hope they change this.

ARGGHHH.

I really hope they change this.

You know they won't. They'll release minor fixes for a while, and then release totally awesome single player DLCs, but the multiplayer UI and all the stuff that also was shitty in GTA IV will stay the same forever in all Rockstar games for ever until the end of time.

You know they won't. They'll release minor fixes fora while, and then release totally awesome single player DLCs, but the multiplayer UI and all the stuff that also was shitty in GTA IV will stay the same forever in all Rockstar games for ever until the end of time.

With GTA4, at least there was a reasonable layer of customisation.

With GTA4, at least there was a reasonable layer of customisation.
Yeah, I haven't even seen the new one, though it sounds horrid. Maybe they get enough negative reactions to improve on it.

Yeah, I haven't even seen the new one, though it sounds horrid. Maybe they get enough negative reactions to improve on it.

Don't get me wrong, the multiplayer is fun, it just doesn't seem that it will have the longevity of something like GTA, Forza, Halo, L4D, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the multiplayer is fun, it just doesn't seem that it will have the longevity of something like GTA, Forza, Halo, L4D, etc.

It's weird though. I got the impression they were focusing even more on multiplayer this time around, what with the persistent characters and everything (that stuff is in there, right?) but it sounds like most if it is worse now.

Custom games are worse.

But they greatly improved the free roam, to the point where you actually have things to do there other than pointlessly kill each other. And it's a fun world to mess around with.

That said, a co-op update is coming soon and that might add an extra level of fun, though I assume the number of supported players with that will be limited.

I say go 360. It looks better and more people are around for the multiplayer.

A friend and I played a decent stint of the PS3 version last night (sorry Forza guys), exclusively in free roam. We started out doing gang hideouts in a private game, but then joined a public game and harassed people. It felt like borderline griefing, but it's also kind of in character and appropriate to the setting. Besides, it was all in good fun, and we were killed as much as we killed others. One kid was really whining about it, though. Anyway, I think we should spend some time in public free roam.

I say go 360. It looks better and more people are around for the multiplayer.

Yeah from stuff I have heard the 360 release is superior, though both are enjoyable.

Anyone up for a game sometime this weekend?

Argh, no internet at home is driving me crazy. I've got RDR now and loving the single player so far but I'm itching to get online with an idle thumbs posse! Hopefully next week I'll be able to join you all.

Argh, no internet at home is driving me crazy. I've got RDR now and loving the single player so far but I'm itching to get online with an idle thumbs posse! Hopefully next week I'll be able to join you all.

For some Grand Theft Auto, right guys? Huh? huh?

That said, a co-op update is coming soon and that might add an extra level of fun, though I assume the number of supported players with that will be limited.

My understanding is that it will support only up to 4 players, so yeah it's limited.

Edit: 360 gamertag = morslok

For some Grand Theft Auto, right guys? Huh? huh?

I'll still be up for GTA in the future, the itch I have right now can only be scratched with a spur. :)