Erkki

The most ridiculous Prince of Persia game yet?

The puzzle platforming they showed looked pretty darn clever. I almost wish I hadn't clicked the trailer because now it won't be special when I run through that specific room.

PoP 2008 is coming in the mail soon, maybe that will disappoint me enough to make me forget how sweet this trailer is.

The platforming looks like the newest PoP but with a time mechanic. The combat look likes it might exist this time, though it still seems like combat and platforming are two totally separate things.

looks like there is a lot more crowd fighting, and that water puzzle looks insane

Looks like there is some God of War 3 stuff going on in there with giants on the background and flying things you can use as handles. Then again, I have never actually played a Prince of Persia game. Nor one from God of War series for that matter.

Didn't enjoy prince's witty comments in the other trailer (or was it the preview) too much though.

The puzzle platforming they showed looked pretty darn clever. I almost wish I hadn't clicked the trailer because now it won't be special when I run through that specific room.

PoP 2008 is coming in the mail soon, maybe that will disappoint me enough to make me forget how sweet this trailer is.

PoP 2008 was my favourite game of that year. Love love loved that game.

PoP 2008 was my favourite game of that year. Love love loved that game.

Ah, I hope I didn't come across as an ass. That pre-judgement is based on the discussion about that game on the Idle Thumbs podcast. All the criticisms seem like valid reasons for why PoP 2008 might be lackluster in many respects when compared to Sands of Time.

The trailer for this new Prince of Persia seems pretty evocative of the first game, which makes me excited.

Ah, I hope I didn't come across as an ass. That pre-judgement is based on the discussion about that game on the Idle Thumbs podcast. All the criticisms seem like valid reasons for why PoP 2008 might be lackluster in many respects when compared to Sands of Time.

The trailer for this new Prince of Persia seems pretty evocative of the first game, which makes me excited.

Oh, not at all! I just read the mention of PoP 2008 and I was reminded how much I loved that game. I can understand the criticisms, but they were the reason I loved the game. The fluidity was fantastic and the game itself was gorgeous.

Oh, not at all! I just read the mention of PoP 2008 and I was reminded how much I loved that game. I can understand the criticisms, but they were the reason I loved the game. The fluidity was fantastic and the game itself was gorgeous.

:erm:

:erm:

Well, the criticisms of hand-holding and general easiness, along with the no-dying thing were the main 'downers', but I didn't feel they left the game down at all. I liked the fact I would restart instantly, and it all helped added to the fluidity and motion of the game.

For my feelings on PoP 2008, check out this horrible long muddled lump of awful. I'm looking forward to Forgotten Sands, as it looks to be a lot more my sort of thing. I don't like the whole jump to wall, pause, run up wall thing, though. It wasn't like that in the older games, was it? Could you even run up a wall after jumping to it? It doesn't seem to have any natural momentum to it. In the most recent game I put his ability to do that down to the claw, but it seems it's just how they do things now. I guess it's a pretty small thing, but the flow of the movement is one of the coolest things in the 3D Prince of Persia games.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited.

So I'm the only one finding that water stuff utterly ridiculous?

So I'm the only one finding that water stuff utterly ridiculous?

Not at all.

I think it'll either be a walk through the part, or meat circus.

Agreed, the water thing looks silly. I like the effect that it makes when you stop time and look at the water, but climbing on it? meh.

Not at all.

I think it'll either be a walk through the part, or meat circus.

I think the water stuff is the entire game... maybe I'm wrong.

What makes the water interesting is the fact that it can switch between a solid object to something you can pass through. Its not like water is just a tile swap for stone pillars and walls. The puzzle where he's doing the wall hop and then travelling through the same wall he just hopped off of looked clever.

I think the water stuff is the entire game... maybe I'm wrong.

I think the prince will have some control over all four elements at some point. At least I vaguely remember that being mentioned in the Gametrailers preview.

The water stuff looks fun to me. It doesn't make a great deal of sense, but that's a problem with all time-manipulation stuff. Why does some stuff (like water) get frozen in vanilla time, and other stuff (like air) move according to meta-time? BERNARD'S WATCH COULD NEVER HAPPEN.

The prince still looks awful, but I guess that's to be expected. I think this looks good, although I'm not sure how unmoving water is supposed to be easy to climb on or useful to swing on. Even supposing he was turning it into ice for a few seconds, that would probably be impossible. But these is video games, so whatever.

The game looks nice, I enjoy the environments. The only thing that really sticks out is the hordes of enemies just standing around while you fight one. It's like the army is really lazy and doesn't feel like fighting at the moment.

Oh right, just remembered, this is a Ubisoft game. So unless they backed off from their dumb DRM scheme, I'm not going to buy it.

The prince still looks awful, but I guess that's to be expected. I think this looks good, although I'm not sure how unmoving water is supposed to be easy to climb on or useful to swing on. Even supposing he was turning it into ice for a few seconds, that would probably be impossible. But these is video games, so whatever.

The game looks nice, I enjoy the environments. The only thing that really sticks out is the hordes of enemies just standing around while you fight one. It's like the army is really lazy and doesn't feel like fighting at the moment.

Well it's not ice really, it's just... solid water, I guess.

Haha, yeah I know. I just don't know how to picture what solid water is supposed to be, besides ice, but I'm sure that's not what is implied here. I mean, assuming he can meld the water to stick his hands in it when he stops time then I guess the prince can climb waterfalls, but it seems odd to think about. If the water is unmovable when time is stopped, how can you climb on it? This is assuming there are no breaks in the falling water, essentially becoming a smooth wall.

It's just odd to think about, but suspension of disbelief and whatnot.

Haha, yeah I know. I just don't know how to picture what solid water is supposed to be, besides ice, but I'm sure that's not what is implied here. I mean, assuming he can meld the water to stick his hands in it when he stops time then I guess the prince can climb waterfalls, but it seems odd to think about. If the water is unmovable when time is stopped, how can you climb on it? This is assuming there are no breaks in the falling water, essentially becoming a smooth wall.

It's just odd to think about, but suspension of disbelief and whatnot.

Assuming time was completely stopped standard physics laws wouldn't apply. With time being frozen all of the molecules would be still, classing it as technically a solid, which in combination with the stronger inter-molecular forces in water than present in Ice should make it stronger.

You could also liken the properties of water to those of cornflour when time is slowed to a halt.

Assuming time was completely stopped standard physics laws wouldn't apply. With time being frozen all of the molecules would be still, classing it as technically a solid, which in combination with the stronger inter-molecular forces in water than present in Ice should make it stronger.

You could also liken the properties of water to those of cornflour when time is slowed to a halt.

I can't climb a wall made of corn flower though, trust me,I've tried.

Doesn't he go through it when its stopped though? It just seems like crazy fun time even if it is accurate my brain has a hard time computing and just deems it silly.

Also if we're bringing up these questions for price of goddamn persia then I have a few more;

If time stops wouldn't that effect light somehow?

Ok so we'll assume time stops for everyone but the prince, but how does he manipulate objects then? (the bending of a pole when his weight interacts with it by hanging... but if the pole is effect by his weight, why isn't water?)

and various other sorts of questions that spring up of that sort. It jsut seems inconsistant with the rules of stopping time they have shown me.