jennoa

Neptune's Bountiful Pride 2

I can't tell if he's playing or not. He's definitely moving his ships around and putting them on stars, because I can see him next to me, I just have no idea if they're on waypoints he set a while ago and forgot about, or what.

EDIT: Yeah he's definitely doing something.

Oh oh, well someone tell him I set a way point this morning and I had no intentions of attacking him!

lol

UNfortunatly, my neighbour bdmonkey has timed out of Puffin Galaxy as well.

Oh dear.

yeah about that. the Puffin Galaxy started at a horrible time for me. when i finally started i was all ready boned. oh well

By the way, the best way to reach me is through my e-mail at [email protected] or through G-Chat which is all the better :) Just put something about Neptune so I know it's you guys.

I feel like 12 players is pushing it, maybe the next time someone starts up they should try 8 instead. There is a lot of action happening on these big maps but it feels a little too open, I haven't interacted in any meaningful way with at least half of the players on the map.

THis map feels super condensed though, but thats what I like about 12 player games, there stories that just dont involve you, your not the center of the universe, Joflar :)

It's all about the struggles in each corner of the map. Trying make your way to the top. Wondering if you can trust the powerful neighbors, or if you should deffend the weak. These are just some storys. I can't even begin to wonder about the crap storms happening in the center

I think having not idea what's going on on the other side is great. I'll still be meeting players as the game goes on.

This galaxy has a false sense of size though. We started with double the money and have resource rich planets so we're growing much faster than natural. At default settings, 12 players would work great I bet.

The stars being so close together totally takes away the need for range tech and made the initial land grab crazy. I think the default settings would be ok with 12 players too.

Even in Wizards game the money seems to be pretty excessive from the get go too. In comparison Puffin started earlier, the stars are farther apart and am still only making like half the cash, lol.

I think I prefer something in the middle of both of those games.

I like the closeness in this map, but I would agree the money was too high. I also shouldn't have set the planets to plentiful, but hey I wanted to see how it would affect the game. Now I know.

It has been simultaneously chaotic and peaceful towards the center of the map.

I like the closeness in this map, but I would agree the money was too high. I also shouldn't have set the planets to plentiful, but hey I wanted to see how it would affect the game. Now I know.

Nah it's cool, I'm liking the game so far, it's interesting to try different things, I was speaking more in terms of the "ideal"

But I can see this game ending really quickly when it gets going, lots of cash + short range = trouble... I'm looking at you Green Remos. :shifty:

Nah it's cool, I'm liking the game so far, it's interesting to try different things, I was speaking more in terms of the "ideal"

But I can see this game ending really quickly when it gets going, lots of cash + short range = trouble... I'm looking at you Green Remos. :shifty:

I don't know if I'm the one you should be looking at. I'm tied for the most stars, but that's a deceptive metric. Looking through the player list, I'm certainly not the wealthiest nor the one with the largest army, not by a long shot. I'm actually kind of baffled how some people seem to be so much further ahead in terms of infrastructure. There must have already been some significant star captures, whereas I haven't been involved in any real conflict yet.

(That doesn't count the brief but insane life of Schmeptune, who apparently joined the game solely so he could mass his entire fleet on one carrier then send it bouncing around my empire doing as much damage as possible.)

That doesn't count the brief but insane life of Schmeptune, who apparently joined the game solely so he could mass his entire fleet on one carrier then send it bouncing around my empire doing as much damage as possible.

Is that what was going on? I could not understand what was going on up in your area for a bit.

On a related note, there have definitely been some major battles and loses. Capturing just a few planets with 3+ industry will really boost stats.

Is that what was going on? I could not understand what was going on up in your area for a bit.

On a related note, there have definitely been some major battles and loses. Capturing just a few planets with 3+ industry will really boost stats.

I left a small thermo nuclear device at the centre of one of those planets. By the time you find it, it will be too late. Muhahahaha.

You monster.

I don't know if I'm the one you should be looking at. I'm tied for the most stars, but that's a deceptive metric. Looking through the player list, I'm certainly not the wealthiest nor the one with the largest army, not by a long shot. I'm actually kind of baffled how some people seem to be so much further ahead in terms of infrastructure. There must have already been some significant star captures, whereas I haven't been involved in any real conflict yet.

(That doesn't count the brief but insane life of Schmeptune, who apparently joined the game solely so he could mass his entire fleet on one carrier then send it bouncing around my empire doing as much damage as possible.)

Im thinking the same thing in Puffin Galaxy, theres like 2-4 players with twice the science, economy and industry and ships. They don't have that many more stars then I do, not sure what I've been doing wrong here, especially when I was able to take someone elses science planet and raid a few of his economies.

You pump economy at the start for as many days as you deem safe and then you cash it all in for industry and science.

Its my complete inability to balance that gets me killed in these games.

Chris, it's all about min/maxing things. For instance, with the first production cycle especially, wait to spend money on economy till the very very end, since you might have more stars with cheaper upgrades. Along those lines, always get speed first to grab stars faster. Then with industry do one level of it on every star for its defense and concentrate the rest of your industry on key stars. With science, whatever is cheap and defensible. Then, taking planets gives you a nice boost.

I think I was the only player this game to wait to upgrade economy till the end of cycles. It shows, and I've since backed off on investments so I don't get too massive.

Chris, it's all about min/maxing things. For instance, with the first production cycle especially, wait to spend money on economy till the very very end, since you might have more stars with cheaper upgrades. Along those lines, always get speed first to grab stars faster. Then with industry do one level of it on every star for its defense and concentrate the rest of your industry on key stars. With science, whatever is cheap and defensible. Then, taking planets gives you a nice boost.

I think I was the only player this game to wait to upgrade economy till the end of cycles. It shows, and I've since backed off on investments so I don't get too massive.

Most of those things are fairly common sense measures I already take, but early in the game I don't worry too much about waiting until the last moment to buy economy; it's pretty obvious based on ship ETAs whether you'll have more stars by the time payday comes, you don't really have to hedge your bets. That matters more later in the game when things are constantly shifting. Also, the payday moment is right when I get out of work, which comes after the busiest part of my day, so it's not usually practical for me to leave time-sensitive stuff until then.

Anyway I understand the principles you point out, but that's clearly not all that's happened in this game.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm scratching my head with chris on that. I've been doign what I normally do other then acquiring a lot of stars yet am getting way behind.

I know more stars = more odds for cheap stuff. But I dont normally spread out my stuff anyway, just weird.

This is why I need replays, hehe so i can watch other people play the game.

On a side note, does this game hang for anyone else in Firefox when you go browsing the minimap? Annoys the crap out of me.

Man the busted chat makes this game even more surreal. It's as though some inexplicable galactic phenomenon has wiped out all open communication channels.