Garple

Bulletstorm Might Be the Next Serious Sam

I don't know about Serious Sam since I've never played it (need to buy the XBLA version at some point), but it sounds pretty sweet. Don't get me wrong: I like FPS games, but it seems like recent ones are mostly semi-realistic military shooters, that take themselves way too seriously. I miss the crazy weapons (e.g. the Napalm Cannon, or the Voodoo Doll from Blood), and more lighthearted feel of earlier games. Obviously there are some exceptions (e.g. Borderlands was lighthearted, and Wolfenstein has some fun weapons), but the scales are tipped toward realism these days. If Bulletstorm ends up half as crazy as it seems to be going for, then I'll be happy.

Gears of course is a Microsoft exclusive, for Xbox 360 and PS3. Bulletstorm, to be published by Electronic Arts, adds the PlayStation 3.

MICROSOFT'S NEXT CONSOLE, THE XBOX PS3, CONFIRMED?

Text-overlays are the new iron-sights in shooter gaming.

Text-overlays are the new iron-sights in shooter gaming.

I like them. They're not really good game design but they make me happy

I just ignored everything I saw about this game because I thought it was going to another generic FPS, but if it's anything like Serious Sam.... I WANT IT! :woohoo::clap::woohoo:

The trailer was pretty intense:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-gameplay-bulletstorm/100171

Not entirely sure how whether it is a single player or multiplayer game from the video though.

From the Game Informer article I read, it sounds like Single Player primarily, possibly with some multiplayer modes. Unfortunately, it won't have co-op. They gave some weak excuse about how it wouldn't work with the story in a couple of spots.

It's a game that looks like it knows exactly what it is and will play it up to the max. So maybe it will be worth a look.

If they can make the multiplayer work like shown in the trailers so far - I'm interested. Don't really care about SP FPS games anyway.

That was terrible. I love the part where she says "oh, and she also has a dark past" about the obviously stereotyped bad-ass hot babe character. I'm expect it'll be a riveting revelation, and not at all trite.

Also, saying that their main goal is "putting the fun back in FPS" sets the bar pretty high.

Boy the constant cuts in that irritated me. I know the live action parts were cut that way so they'd fit the fast and crazy style of the game, but the game sections ended up seeming more stable by comparison because apparently the camera in the game doesn't feel the need to zoom in and out and switch to alternate footage every half second.

Also it was kind of fucking spoilery, particularly with how the character described as "the Spock" really obviously changes.

Story and character video. Prepare yourself for douchiness. It's douchiness you can relate to though.

Hey Dicktits, this game ain't gonna preorder itself.

The gameplay is definitely the draw here, but outside of that, it's like they want me to hate it.

I am now utterly incapable of taking this game seriously.

That is, I am utterly incapable of taking this game anywhere other than motherfuck town.

Story and character video. Prepare yourself for douchiness. It's douchiness you can relate to though.

Hey Dicktits, this game ain't gonna preorder itself.

The gameplay is definitely the draw here, but outside of that, it's like they want me to hate it.

Motherfucking ya limp-dick bitches! Who's the dark-past biotic bitch now? This game is going to drop-kick your face with awesome. BITCH! XTREME! Lock n' load!

I don't remember which trailer sparked it, but my strongest impulse on seeing this game was that Duke Nukem is totally fucked if it releases at any point after bulletstorm (if anyone ever gave it a chance to begin with).

Saw nothing new there. Seemed like a mash-up of Killzone 2, Quake 4, Resistance 2, Gears of War, etc etc et-bloody-cetera.

Oh BTW, 'flawed' does not automatically mean 'relate-able' (it took about 20 years for dark age comic writers to realise that. Jeezus). Those characters seemed about as relate-able as, well as firearm. And not a well loved personalised quality firearm either. No; a cold, mass produced, rubbish firearm that will jam up and kill you but the manufacturer made the lowest bid for the defence contract so what're you going to do?

Worth renting if the gameplay is good, same as 99% of every FPS ever.