JonCole

Backlog Busters

Holy moly. That's a list! You actually own all those?

My 2 cents: Banjo, ICO, Shadow, Journey, Hotline Miami & Left4Dead are all strong'uns.

I'm playing the original with the wrath of the lamb stuff.

Also wrath added content/enemies/items and increased difficulty from zone 1, perhaps the learning curve would be different w/o the dlc

It's my absolute favorite game, glad giving a shot- but could see the adversion to this style of game

Holy moly. That's a list! You actually own all those?

My 2 cents: Banjo, ICO, Shadow, Journey, Hotline Miami & Left4Dead are all strong'uns.

I own about half of them in a temporary state due to the aforementioned PS+ and XBL Gold, but yes, and I have them all downloaded too. Banjo was my most recent purchase since I got the Rare collection, and if the frame rate wasn't so lousy I'd play it a lot more. Shadow of the Colossus I played once back on PS2 and hated at the time, but I have a feeling I'd get on a bit better with it now. Left4Dead is fun, but also not exactly fun to get in a game with all the pros when I've only played about 5 hours of it.

I'm actually playing Majesty 2 tonight, after running into a Quicklook of it as I've been going back through the GB archives.

Since I'm shelving Destiny to attack the backlog, I guess I should post it here. Publicly airing it will hopefully motivate me to make it happen? These are theoretically in the order I'll play them...

Witcher 3 (in progress)

Majora's Mask 3DS (in progress)

Tales From the Borderlands

Pikmin 3

Grim Fandango: Remastered

Miasmata

Unfinished Swan

Dragon's Dogma

Fract OSC

Far Cry 2 (started previously, didn't finish)

Puzzle Agent 1

Telltale GoT

Wasteland 2

Grow Home

Year Walk

Grimrock 2

The Fall

Eldritch

Amnesia

Toad Treasure Tracker

Bloodborne (started and didn't finish)

Mario Land 3DS

Last of Us: Left Behind

Eidolon

Stealth Inc 1 & 2

Race The Sun

Puzzle Agent 2

Dark Souls

WiiU

metroid echoes (On hold)

corruption

Splatoon Finished!

Fire Emblem Spirit Stones

Super Mario World  Not complete, but I'm done with it. That last level is too dificult for me. 

3ds

monster hunter Finished! Hit G-rank, that's enough for me.

kid Icarus  Finished!

Crimson Shroud  Quit

TWEWY Quit! 

Ps4

axiom verge (On hold until Vita release)

never alone  Quit

Ether one 

The Witcher 3 Finished!

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes  Finished!

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Finished!

Dark Souls 2 Finished!

Alien Isolation

Vita

hotline Miami 2 Quit

danganronpa (On Hold)

the swapper Quit

Metal Gear Solid 2  Finished!

Metal Gear Solid 3 Finished!

Castlevania SotN Quit!

Ys: Memories of Celceta  Quit!

GameCube

Twilight princess

resident evil 4

I've made some serious progress since last time, and I've not bought a new game since MGSV. Well not one that's "finishable" since I'm not going to ever finish Mario Maker, that's just something that lasts forever. 

I'm so excited for you to play the puzzle agent games video games, because they are truly delightful and 2 of my favorite games in the whole wide world.

I'm so excited for you to play the puzzle agent games video games, because they are truly delightful and 2 of my favorite games in the whole wide world.

Yes! I played a bit of the first one many years ago and really liked it, but lost my progress due to a hard drive crash and didn't want to go through the puzzles again at the time. Now I have forgotten everything, so the time is right!

I'm making my way through Alpha Protocol. I held off on playing it thinking that it would be a prime candidate for a game to play with the Steam controller only to discover that the game actually had controller support. For whatever reason I thought it hadn't. Hahaha. Anyway, I can see why the game got panned, and it has plenty of problems in any category you can think of, but it also is a lot of fun to play!

Is Teleglitch one of those impossibly hard games? I'm kind of enjoying my time with it but I feel utterly useless at combat and always eat it in Level 2. I wonder if it's worth it to try to beat it instead of just playing it until I've had my fill.

I played about 2 hours of it and gave up.  It was neat, but it lacked something, the kind of hook that made me excited about restarting after a loss.

I'm making my way through Alpha Protocol. I held off on playing it thinking that it would be a prime candidate for a game to play with the Steam controller only to discover that the game actually had controller support. For whatever reason I thought it hadn't. Hahaha. Anyway, I can see why the game got panned, and it has plenty of problems in any category you can think of, but it also is a lot of fun to play!

Alpha Protocol seems great in some aspects, but I couldn't stand the fact that your skills are tied to your character attributes, it feels weird to see that you're aiming properly but the game will deliberately make you miss the target because you don't have enough skill poins or something. But the dialog options and it's consequences seems great wished I could play just these parts.

Anyway, this week I decided to clear some of my backlog before buying new games (ha!), and I discovered the gem that is Ori and the Blind Forest! Damn, this is by far the best metroidvania since Castlevania SOTN (I'm not well educated in metroidvania though, so my opinion means shit).

The game is so challenging but not frustrating, beautiful with amazing sounds, and the gameplay is super tight. Probably will be my GOTY (unless I play MGS this year and it is the masterpiece that a lot of people are saying).

I don't really understand the complaint (made about plenty of different games, not just Alpha Protocol) that you can be aiming at a target and not hit it. Maybe it's because I've fired a gun before, but it takes a lot of practice to hit what you think you're aiming at. It feels right to me that there's an inaccuracy cone that decreases with skills. 

Is Teleglitch one of those impossibly hard games? I'm kind of enjoying my time with it but I feel utterly useless at combat and always eat it in Level 2. I wonder if it's worth it to try to beat it instead of just playing it until I've had my fill.

I played about 2 hours of it and gave up.  It was neat, but it lacked something, the kind of hook that made me excited about restarting after a loss.

The problem I had with it is that unlike a lot of games, it didn't feel like you made a distinct, correctable mistake when you died, which kills the "this time I'll do it better!" feeling.

Ahaha I want to be like Dewar.

My Backlog, have fun:

Paper Mario
Dr. Mario 64
Wario Land 4
Luigi's Mansion
Super Mario Sunshine
Game & Watch Gallery 4  
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
Wario World
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga

Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
WarioWare Twisted!
WarioWare Touched!
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Super Princess Peach
Dance Dance Revolution Mario
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Wario: Master of Disguise
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy
Warioland Shake It
WarioWare: Snapped!
Mario and Luigi 3
Warioware DIY

Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem!
Super Mario World
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
New Super Mario Bros. U
Game & Wario
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Super Mario 3D World
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Mario vs. Donkey Kong Tipping Stars WiiU
Yoshi's Woolly World
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Prime Hunters First Hunt
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Prime 3
Metroid Other M

Kirby No Kirra Kids

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Kirby Air Ride
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Kirby Canvas Curse
Kirby Squeak Squad
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Kirby Mass Attack
Kirby Return to Dreamland
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Knuckles' Chaotix
Tails' Skypatrol
Tails Adventure

Sonic R

Cave Story

Stacking

Shadow of the Colossus HD

No More Heroes 1 and 2

Professor Layton 5,6

Professor Layton and Pheonix Wright

Bastion

Transistor

Walking Dead Season 2

Comic Jumper

Skies of Arcadia

Hector Badge of Courage

Puzzle Agent

Deponia 2,3

Last Express

Karateka

New Karateka

A fuckload of Total Annihilation

Armikrog

Leisure Larry Reloaded

Nightsky

Tesla Effect

Samorost 3

Captain Brawe

Even More Incredible Machine

Incredible Machine 3.0

Incredible Machine Contraptions

Soul Reaver 1 and 2

Legacy of Kain Defiance

Blood Omen 1 and 2

Metal Gear Solid PSX

Metal Gear Solid 5

Revengeance

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris

Back to the  Future

Wallace and Gromit Telltale

A New Beginning

DmC PS4

Cave Story 3DS

Samurai Champloo

Shadow of the Damned

Killer Is Dead

Bloodrayne Wayforward version

Black Knight Sword

Noitu Love 2

Keroblaster

Giants Citizen Kabuto

MDK

Wild 9

Boombots

Policenauts

From Dust

Snatcher

Rise of the Dragon

Heart of China

Broken Age

Iridium Runners

Three Cards to Midnight
Three Cards to Deadtime

Edna and Harvey

Botanicula

Lost Vikings 2

Black and White 2

Strong Bad games

Lands of Lore series

Shovel Knight

Gobliins 4

Amnesia Fortnight series of games

Floigan Brothers

Toy Racer

Time Commando

Inca 1 and 2

Ratchet and Clank Into the Nexus

Pick 'n' Pile

Caveman Ughlympics

Alone in the Dark

Bioshock 1 and 2

Firewatch

Bone Ep 1 and 2

Tacoma

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Rayman Adventures

Spyfox 1-3

Codename Cygnus

Flower, Sun, Rain

Headlander

Zelda WiiU

Little Big Adventure 1 and 2 (I just wanna play them again)

There's probably more, but meh. I figure I'll get to them all if I live until 60. I don't actually own a lot of these unless they are older PC games. Also some are in progress too.

It actually doesn't seem SO LONG to me when I type it out. Also older games take way less time than newer games in general.

I don't really understand the complaint (made about plenty of different games, not just Alpha Protocol) that you can be aiming at a target and not hit it. Maybe it's because I've fired a gun before, but it takes a lot of practice to hit what you think you're aiming at. It feels right to me that there's an inaccuracy cone that decreases with skills.

I disagree, at least in Alpha Protocol's case. If they're looking for more realism, I don't believe that adding a number to limit your skill is a good system to convey the complexities of shooting in real life, considering that you effectively control the act of shooting in the game. I think it would be better to add physics, a more shaky aim and other stuff that directly interferes with your input, to the point that you can actually learn how to control the shooting better considering all these variables.

This mechanism used in Alpha Protocol is great for tabletop and isometric RPGs (well, it was created in those games, I believe), in which your input is not as relevant to the combat, but mostly the level of your attributes. However, in a game that you have direct input in the combat, I don't think it's adequate.

But that is a thing of mine though. I usually dislike games that try to add a lot of mechanics, sometimes I perceive it more as barrier than something extra, I enjoy when mechanics are more streamlined.

There's probably more, but meh. I figure I'll get to them all if I live until 60. I don't actually own a lot of these unless they are older PC games. Also some are in progress too.

I assumed that when people talked about backlog they were referring to games they owned and hadn't played yet, not just games they wanted to play...

Ahaha I want to be like Dewar.

My Backlog, have fun:

Paper Mario

Dr. Mario 64

Wario Land 4

Luigi's Mansion

Super Mario Sunshine

Game & Watch Gallery 4  

WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$

Wario World

WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga

Mario vs. Donkey Kong

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

WarioWare Twisted!

WarioWare Touched!

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Super Princess Peach

Dance Dance Revolution Mario

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time

New Super Mario Bros.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis

WarioWare: Smooth Moves

Wario: Master of Disguise

Super Paper Mario

Super Mario Galaxy

Warioland Shake It

WarioWare: Snapped!

Mario and Luigi 3

Warioware DIY

Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem!

Super Mario World

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

New Super Mario Bros. U

Game & Wario

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

Super Mario 3D World

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Mario vs. Donkey Kong Tipping Stars WiiU

Yoshi's Woolly World

Super Metroid

Metroid Fusion

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime 2

Metroid Prime Hunters First Hunt

Metroid Prime Hunters (Old DS with Rumble Pak)

Metroid Prime 3

Metroid Other M

Kirby No Kirra Kids

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Kirby Air Ride

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror

Kirby Canvas Curse

Kirby Squeak Squad

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Kirby Mass Attack

Kirby Return to Dreamland

Kirby Triple Deluxe

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Knuckles' Chaotix

Tails' Skypatrol

Tails Adventure

Sonic R

Cave Story

Stacking

Shadow of the Colossus HD

No More Heroes 1 and 2

Professor Layton 5,6

Professor Layton and Pheonix Wright

Bastion

Transistor

Walking Dead Season 2

Comic Jumper

Skies of Arcadia

Hector Badge of Courage

Puzzle Agent

Deponia 2,3

Last Express

Karateka

New Karateka

A fuckload of Total Annihilation

Armikrog

Leisure Larry Reloaded

Nightsky

Tesla Effect

Samorost 3

Captain Brawe

Even More Incredible Machine

Incredible Machine 3.0

Incredible Machine Contraptions

Soul Reaver 1 and 2

Legacy of Kain Defiance

Blood Omen 1 and 2

Metal Gear Solid PSX

Metal Gear Solid 5

Revengeance

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris

Back to the  Future

Wallace and Gromit Telltale

A New Beginning

DmC PS4

Cave Story 3DS

Samurai Champloo

Shadow of the Damned

Killer Is Dead

Bloodrayne Wayforward version

Black Knight Sword

Noitu Love 2

Keroblaster

Giants Citizen Kabuto

MDK

Wild 9

Boombots

Policenauts

From Dust

Snatcher

Rise of the Dragon

Heart of China

Broken Age

Iridium Runners

Three Cards to Midnight

Three Cards to Deadtime

Edna and Harvey

Botanicula

Lost Vikings 2

Black and White 2

Strong Bad games

Lands of Lore series

Shovel Knight

Gobliins 4

Amnesia Fortnight series of games

Floigan Brothers

Toy Racer

Time Commando

Inca 1 and 2

Ratchet and Clank Into the Nexus

Pick 'n' Pile

Caveman Ughlympics

Alone in the Dark

Bioshock 1 and 2

Firewatch

Bone Ep 1 and 2

Tacoma

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Rayman Adventures

Spyfox 1-3

Codename Cygnus

Flower, Sun, Rain

Headlander

Zelda WiiU

Little Big Adventure 1 and 2 (I just wanna play them again)

It actually doesn't seem SO LONG to me when I type it out. Also older games take way less time than newer games in general.

Yeah, backlog is generally games you've already bought, but whatever...we'll save that for the pedantry thread :)

On the topic of your actual list, I would recommend skipping Paper Mario and going straight to Thousand Year Door. The games are very similar narratively and mechanically, but TYD is an improvement in pretty much every aspect (plus they are both kinda long). Maybe it's because I played TYD first, but it's something to consider.

I assumed that when people talked about backlog they were referring to games they owned and hadn't played yet, not just games they wanted to play...

I can't keep track! I mean I could double check but that's even more work. Let's just say I own 85% of those.

With Binding of Isaac now completed, I am down to my very last Steam game: Kerbal Space Program.

I played for two hours last night and so far the game is super obtuse. Also, I think the flight training mission is bugged because I kept trying to click on that AP symbol in the map view when I was in orbit but never got the 'warp' option like the game told me I should. So I decided to just start up the main career mode and I am just bumbling around like an idiot building shitty ships and launching them, only to have half the components explode when it touches down. I think I need more parachutes or something. I also probably need to spend some time on Google to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to be doing and how to pick up more missions (I picked up one mission but can't seem to get back to that screen to pick up any of the other ones).

All of the different menus are accessed by clicking different buildings in your space center view. There are a track of easy missions that will get you going and eventually lead you to the Mun (a bit of a steep climb to that last step.) Don't forget you can upgrade your various buildings at the space center, some of them unlock some pretty useful functionality. Finally, beware when looking up tutorials that you're looking at recent ones, there were a lot of changes to how the economy works during the beta.

Is Teleglitch one of those impossibly hard games?

It's super hard. I could reliably get to the point where gun-toting enemies show up, at which point I always died. Still very enjoyable to me, the aesthetic and gameplay really appeal to me.

With ~110 hours logged now in Kerbal Space Program, I'm officially calling my Steam backlog completed! It feels good... so so good.

My first post in this thread was November 2014 and I managed to knock out all 21 games (started with 19, then 2 more were added later through a Steam gift) in that time. And that was even with a ton of distractions including:

• A few hundred hour/several month diversion with Destiny
  • Stalling early on with Dragon Age Origins and all of its DLC (over 100 hours there)
  • Playing several dozens of hours of Nintendo games from Super Nintendo through WiiU with my daughter
  • About five months of sacrificing almost all of my Sunday through Thursday night game time to play through all of the Borderlands Handsome collection and all DLC with a couple co-workers (I thought it would never end and my hatred for the Pre-Sequel gets stronger every time I think about it)

If there is one thing I've learned from all of this it is that I really don't like owning more than 3 games that I haven't completed or played to satisfaction. As nice as it can be to have a huge library of unplayed games, I have found that it just leaves me feeling frustrated and becomes a barrier to me just playing and enjoying games as they grab my interest. Instead, after I let things get out of control for awhile, I feel an overwhelming compulsion to halt all new game purchases and experiences until I've taken the proper time with the games I already have, which of course I originally grabbed because they were interesting and I wanted to play them.

From here on out, I'm keeping Kerbal Space Program in my rotation and am going to start chipping away at Demon's Souls, which I've been meaning to do for awhile now. A co-worker also gave me Heavy Rain and MGS V (as well as a few other games that I think I decided I'm going to get rid of) so I'll probably get to those afterwards and might replay MGS 4 in there too. So many possibilities.