JonCole

Backlog Busters

Why, is Unepic a good game?  :fart:

My backlog just expanded drastically thanks to the Steam sale, The Witcher being the longest game ever, and spotting a very cheap copy of Alien Isolation at my local super market. 

I've also stalled on my Metroid series play through. Echoes is just not as good as Prime, then it gives you another scavenger hunt, but now you have to think about switching between worlds too. It kinda felt like work, so I put it down for a while.

Echoes is just not as good as Prime, then it gives you another scavenger hunt, but now you have to think about switching between worlds too. It kinda felt like work, so I put it down for a while.

I'd be careful about that. I did this and ended up having to start over, because navigating the light and dark worlds after a hiatus was near impossible.

7 games left. I started UnEpic last night and I'm not sure how this one's gonna go. I had to immediately turn off voices because they were just godawful but even with the voices off, the plot and dialog so far are pretty cringeworthy. However, the gameplay is starting to pique my interest a bit and it looks like that aspect of it might be kind of fun.

Why, is Unepic a good game?  :fart:

My backlog just expanded drastically thanks to the Steam sale, The Witcher being the longest game ever, and spotting a very cheap copy of Alien Isolation at my local super market. 

I've also stalled on my Metroid series play through. Echoes is just not as good as Prime, then it gives you another scavenger hunt, but now you have to think about switching between worlds too. It kinda felt like work, so I put it down for a while.

The Witcher does feel like it goes on forever, it's not paced very well. I have a slight urge to replay it though.

7 games left. I started UnEpic last night and I'm not sure how this one's gonna go. I had to immediately turn off voices because they were just godawful but even with the voices off, the plot and dialog so far are pretty cringeworthy. However, the gameplay is starting to pique my interest a bit and it looks like that aspect of it might be kind of fun.

The game is fun, the story/writing ranges from bad to downright offensive. It ends on a rape joke.

WiiU

metroid echoes (On hold)

corruption

Splatoon Finished!

Fire Emblem Spirit Stones

Super Mario World

3ds

monster hunter Currently playing

kid Icarus  Finished!

Crimson Shroud  Quit

TWEWY Currently playing

Ps4

axiom verge (On hold until Vita release)

never alone  Quit

Ether one 

The Witcher 3 Currently playing

Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes Currently playing

Dark Souls 2

Alien Isolation

Vita

hotline Miami 2 Quit

danganronpa (On Hold)

the swapper Quit

Metal Gear Solid 2 Currently playing

Metal Gear Solid 3

Castlevania SotN

Ys: Memories of Celceta 

GameCube

Twilight princess

resident evil 4

Oh god, it's gotten so much worse. I'm also playing too many games right now, which means I never finish any of them. Most of my time is The Witcher (still) and Monster Hunter - where I've hit a brick wall and need a break. 

I think I'm about 50% of the way through The Witcher now, I'm level 17 and nearly done with Novigrad. 

Fortunately Metal Gear games are pretty short, and very enjoyable, however adding 2 more JRPGs to that list was probably a bad idea.

With Unepic and Outlast finished, my Steam Backlog is down to 5:

Team Fortress 2

Batman Arkham City

FTL

Binding of Isaac

Kerbal Space Program

I'm planning to put about 20 hours into TF2 before I consider it completed (I've got 10 hours logged so far) and then I'll shift my focus to Arkham City which will probably take me several weeks to go through since Destiny will probably be stealing a lot of my time. So close now.

And man, TF2 has changed so much since I played it on Orange Box. It is a scary and intimidating and microtransactiony game. I kind of miss the simplicity of old TF2.

This may only be tangentially related, but after years of chronically starting games and not finishing them, I poured 10 hours into Mario & Luigi:Superstar Saga and only had a slight flirtation with starting a new game of Beyond Good & Evil.

After that I'm going to focus more on playing the 2015 games I've purchased.

My backlog list continues to grow with PS+ and Xbox Live to fuel it. I've been pretty good about not buying more games than I finish the last few years, but so many things can be had for free these days.

I finished Batman Arkham City and have been playing a bunch of TF2 on the side here and there. That officially brings my Steam backlog down to 3:

FTL

Binding of Isaac

Kerbal Space Program

But I have a problem now. I started FTL a couple nights ago and I think I'm in love. I have a feeling these last three games will take longer for me to finish than the last 15 games combined.

But I have a problem now. I started FTL a couple nights ago and I think I'm in love. I have a feeling these last three games will take longer for me to finish than the last 15 games combined.

FTL is great, until you get to the last level/boss.  Not trying to stir up anything, but another few days might see this on your recently quit list

*There is extensive discussion about the last boss in another thread, either Completed or FTL itself...

Given the rogue-like nature of FTL, I'm not as concerned with actually beating the final boss as just dumping a bunch of hours into it and trying a bunch of different approaches to the game. There is just so much to dig into and so many variables that I can see myself getting lost in this one for awhile, regardless of whether or not I actually "finish" it.

But then again, I don't know that I've really played any other real rogue-likes before. I was just always under the impression that you don't play these games to beat them, you just play them like you would play an arcade game and just go for a new high score each time.

But then again, I don't know that I've really played any other real rogue-likes before. I was just always under the impression that you don't play these games to beat them, you just play them like you would play an arcade game and just go for a new high score each time.

:tup:

Also, I think the final boss of FTL gets a bad rap.  There are builds that will crush it, at basically no risk.  There are builds that can't win, period, no matter how good you are.  And then there are the interesting builds, the ones of, "maybe this will work, let's see."  Overall, I think it fits the designed theme of FTL.  You're a little ship trying to escape a big problem, and it just ain't going to work everytime.

Now I want to play FTL. 

I finished FTL much faster than anticipated and now have only two games left: Binding of Isaac and Kerbal Space Program.

I've put about 5 hours into Binding of Isaac so far and I'm not sure what to think. There are things about the game that make it highly replayable and intriguing but it sometimes just gets to be too much. There seems to be a much higher reliance on luck than in FTL (where even on a bad run I could turn things around) and whenever I get to around the 4th or 5th area, I always hit a random room or two with so much bullshit going on that I feel like there is nothing I can do to avoid being hit a lot while taking out the enemies. It feels kind of oppressive and frustrating especially considering the boss fights have all been pretty easy. Yeah, I could maybe dump 100 hours into this game to get the perfect muscle memory I need to clear everything even with the worst item rolls but that doesn't sound very appealing at this point. I prefer FTL's "get better by getting smarter" to BoI's "get better by having perfect muscle memory and twitch reflexes".

Maybe things will turn around though. I'm surprised that I'm not loving this game since I've seen universal praise for it.

I think I'd have problems going back to the original after Rebirth, movement is so much better in Rebirth.  The game does tend to be super lucky based though, some item combinations make it a breeze (to the point of being boring at times), while others rely entirely on skill. 

That said, I put over a hundred hours into both the Original and Rebirth, so obviously their shortcomings don't bother me that much.

I finished FTL much faster than anticipated and now have only two games left: Binding of Isaac and Kerbal Space Program.

I've put about 5 hours into Binding of Isaac so far and I'm not sure what to think. There are things about the game that make it highly replayable and intriguing but it sometimes just gets to be too much. There seems to be a much higher reliance on luck than in FTL (where even on a bad run I could turn things around) and whenever I get to around the 4th or 5th area, I always hit a random room or two with so much bullshit going on that I feel like there is nothing I can do to avoid being hit a lot while taking out the enemies. It feels kind of oppressive and frustrating especially considering the boss fights have all been pretty easy. Yeah, I could maybe dump 100 hours into this game to get the perfect muscle memory I need to clear everything even with the worst item rolls but that doesn't sound very appealing at this point. I prefer FTL's "get better by getting smarter" to BoI's "get better by having perfect muscle memory and twitch reflexes".

Maybe things will turn around though. I'm surprised that I'm not loving this game since I've seen universal praise for it.

Out of curiosity, what are you considering "finished" for FTL? Just got tired of it, or reached a specific goal?

Edit: Nevermind, just saw your post in the completed games thread.

I think I'd have problems going back to the original after Rebirth, movement is so much better in Rebirth.  The game does tend to be super lucky based though, some item combinations make it a breeze (to the point of being boring at times), while others rely entirely on skill. 

That said, I put over a hundred hours into both the Original and Rebirth, so obviously their shortcomings don't bother me that much.

Any idea roughly how many hours it took you to get to the point where you could reliably get to the last area (last meaning that final node on the basic world view, not sure if there's more after that)? I know at 5 hours I'm still taking baby steps here so I'm trying to gauge what the skill curve is.

Also, are there some runs that are more or less impossible to beat? I had a couple runs in area 4 last night where I would hit these rooms with 8 enemies that were all rapidly shooting two projectiles each and the layout of rocks in that area gave me almost no room to maneuver. Maybe if I had gotten some better weapon power ups it would have been different but I find it hard to believe I could get good enough to get through that kind of room unscathed.

Out of curiosity, what are you considering "finished" for FTL? Just got tired of it, or reached a specific goal?

Edit: Nevermind, just saw your post in the completed games thread.

Yeah, just beat the boss on normal. Took 18 hours so I figure I hit enough hours played at that point to shelve it for awhile so I can knock these last games out.

Any idea roughly how many hours it took you to get to the point where you could reliably get to the last area (last meaning that final node on the basic world view, not sure if there's more after that)? I know at 5 hours I'm still taking baby steps here so I'm trying to gauge what the skill curve is.

Also, are there some runs that are more or less impossible to beat? I had a couple runs in area 4 last night where I would hit these rooms with 8 enemies that were all rapidly shooting two projectiles each and the layout of rocks in that area gave me almost no room to maneuver. Maybe if I had gotten some better weapon power ups it would have been different but I find it hard to believe I could get good enough to get through that kind of room unscathed.

It depends on where you want to consider it "done".  I don't want to spoil too much, but there are additional levels past what you can see right now, and some of them take multiple successful runs in order to unlock (I think it's something like 16 successful runs to unlock the final level).  I think, at a minimum, you're probably looking at at least 30 hours before you'll even be able to get there, and probably longer.  I actually never accomplished everything I wanted to do in the original, as it finally just got to the point where I was frustrated with having a 1-2 hour run end in death without having unlocked the item I was going for.   If that sounds like a slog you won't enjoy, I wouldn't blame you at all for shelving BoI and calling it quits.  But if that's what you do, I would suggest picking up Rebirth at some point and giving it a try. 

The biggest run killer tends to be not getting enough damage upgrades.  The faster you can kill things, the fewer hits you'll take.  There aren't many "bad" items, but there's a lot of average/meh items that don't do a bunch to really help you in the lower levels.  There are a lot of different items to unlock as well, by playing with different characters or doing specific things, and some of those items are the best in the game, so you overall get more and more options the longer you play. 

I happen to be working from home today, so I thought I'd post my backlog again just to make you feel good Zeus. You're doing really well on yours :)

PC

Achron

Anomaly 2

Baldur's Gate

Besiege

Blocks that Matter

Contagion

Crusader: No Remorse

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin

Darkstar One

Dead Island

Defiance

Divinity: Beyond

Divinity 2

Dying Light

Elder Scrolls Online

Edge of Space

EYE Divine Cybermancy

Faeria

Fallout 3 DLC

Fallout 4

Final Fantasy 14

Firefall

Fractured Space

Grand Theft Auto 4

Gratuouitous Space Battles

Grav

Guild 2

Guild Wars 2

Guns of Icarus: Online

Hard Reset

Iron Brigade

Just Cause 2

Kentucky Route Zero

Keep Talking and No One Explodes

Killing Floor 2

Kinetic Void

King Arthur

King Arthur's Gold

Krater

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Legend of Grimrock

Left 4 Dead 2

Magicite

Magika

Majesty 2

Medieval 2: Total War

Middle-Earth: Shadows of Mordor Season Pass

Might and Magic Heroes 6

Mirror's Edge

Nation Red

Natural Selection

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Neverwinter

Nosgoth

Offworld Trading Company

Patrician 3

Payday 2 DLC

Penny Arcade 4

Peggle

Pixel Piracy

Robocraft

Saint's Row 3 DLC

Samurai Gun

Sanctum 2

The Secret of Monkey Island

Shadowrun Chronicles

Shadowrun Hong Kong

Simcity 5

The Sims 3

Skyforge

Solar 2

Speed Runners

Spelunky

Spintires

Spy Party

Starbound

Starpoint: Gemiini 2

Star Trek Online

Star Wars: Empire at War

Steamworld: Dig

System Shock 2

Super Meat Boy

Syndicate

Terraria

Tesla Effect

Theme Hospital

Thief: Deadly Shadows

Titanfall Season Pass

Tomb Raider

Trine

Ultima 8

Valkyria Chronicles

Wing Commander 3

Witcher 2

Zafehouse

XBOX 360

Alan Wake

Assasin's Creed 2

Darksiders

Darksiders 2

Doom

Fusion: Genesis

Greed Corp

Halo Wars

Hydro Thunder

Lost Oddessy

Mass Effect 2 DLC

Mass Effect 3 DLC

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes

Orcs Must Die

Panzer General

The Path of Go

Worms 2: Armegeddon

XB1

Assasin's Creed Unity

Banjo Kazooie, Nuts and Bolts

D4

Deer God

Forza 6

Halo: ODST

Halo 5

IDARB

Rayman

Worms: Battlegrounds

3DS

Monster Hunter 4U

Mario Puzzle and Dragon

iOS

Cook, Serve, Delicious

Galaxy On Fire 2

Dragon Quest 8

PS3

Binary Domain

Brothers

CounterSpy

Crysis 3

Deadly Premonition

Disgaea 3

DMC: Devil May Cry

Dragon's Dogma

Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara

Dyad

Echochrome

Final Horizon

Frozen Synapse

Hitman HD Trilogy

Hotline Miami

Ibb and Obb

ICO

Infamous

Infamous 2

Infamous 2: Festival of Blood

Jet Set Radio

Journey

Kung Fu Rabbit

Last of Us

Machinarium

Metro: Last Light

Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee

Papa & Yo

Playstation All-Stars

Rainbow Moon

Remember Me

Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Shadows of the Colossus

Shrelock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments

Sly Cooper

Stealth Inc

Stealth Inc 2

Titan Attacks

Tokyo Jungle

Uncharted 3

Unmechanical

Yakuza 4

I feel your pain Dewar (although your list is much more intimidating than mine was when I started). I started tackling my Steam backlog in earnest about a year ago and even with multi-month Destiny interruptions and other distractions I managed to knock out 16 or 17 games since then. I suppose I should update this though with my mini non-Steam backlogs that have cropped up in the last year:

PS2:

Final Fantasy 12

PS3:

Heavy Rain

God of War 3

Demon's Souls

PS4:

Metal Gear Solid 5

I happen to be working from home today, so I thought I'd post my backlog again just to make you feel good Zeus. You're doing really well on yours :)

This is too many games. It is literally years worth of content. You have to thin the herd...the weak must be sacrificed for the greater good.

A good portion of that is free games from Xbox Live Gold and PS+

I'm really not ever planning on beating it all. I mainly keep the list for my goal of beating more games than I buy. I do trim games that I've played that I've hated at the end of each year, or my list would be even longer. A lot of them I've never even touched.