JonCole

Backlog Busters

I've been doing pretty good at chipping away at my backlog. PS+ hasn't helped though, along with getting a bunch of games that you can't "complete."

How do you consider those games in relation to backlog? I play Hearthstone a little, and it's not like I'll ever get rank 1 and say "boom done it, I'm the best." So is it in my backlog? Similarly with things like Peggle, I suppose if I got all the trophies, it'd be considered done, but I doubt I'll ever do that. I still play it regularly, so I'm not done with it.

I ended up having to list items I got for free differently than things I paid fore, just to get some sanity in my "Beat more games than I buy" goal. For FTP games, I don't count it at all until I've actually put money into it. Once I've put money into it, I generally consider around 6 hours to be "enough" depending on the amount of money spent, and if there's a goal by that time that I really want to reach.

One of my coworkers randomly gave me 5 PS3 games that he didn't want anymore: all 3 Uncharted games, Heavy Rain, and God of War 3. Luckily they are all games I want to play but damn I have been working hard to avoid obtaining any more games. So I guess that's +5 on my backlog.

In the last 2-3 weeks, I've knocked 5 games off of my Steam backlog (thanks to LucasArts replays) bringing my current backlog to 11 games. I started Far Cry 2 last night and I figure when I'm done with that Binding of Isaac and FTL will be the next 2 games I knock out. I checked out that howlongtobeat website (which is awesome btw) and if I don't get too distracted with other games, I think I can get through the rest of these over the course of the next 4 months.

Man it feels good to see this list getting steadily whittled down.

Thanks for the heads up. I will take your advice and bump that down. My goal is to run through another few quick burn games after Far Cry 2 before jumping into another long one so I can maintain some steady progress. I'll move Stacking up to that slot instead.

is the plan with isaac to just beat "mom" or platinum god.  i dont want to get into a monster conversation with what constitutes "beating" a game, just curious about your metric

isaac is my #2 time sink, i go from dota to isaac to diablo...and never make progress in anything else

i didnt stop playing isaac WoL till i platinumed...and i presume i wont stop Rebirth till i 100% it as well.  if i was good, it'd be done already

Well shit, I am one of those completionist type people so maybe I need to rethink some of these life decisions.

With so many modern collectathon-type games plus the ever-present endless-type games, I really had to change my thinking in terms of what a game being "completed" means. For me, that meant just beating the campaign in for instance Assassin's Creed 3, while I actually liked Watch Dogs much more so I came pretty close to completing all of the side quests before feeling done. Same is true for racing games, where there are a ton of map markers but boy if it's hard to summon the desire to actually complete every event in NFS: Most Wanted while I was dying to in Forza Horizon.

My gaming time was something like 90 percent Binding of Isaac and Dark Souls 2 last year, so yeah, BoI is not going to help whittle down the list if you get into it. 

Well shit, I am one of those completionist type people so maybe I need to rethink some of these life decisions.

Welp, may want to get other games in the list done first.  

i'll take my next thought to a more related thread

I'm doing some financial stuff and thinking about canceling Gamefly, at least until I manage my backlog a bit more. That said, I decided to take a look at my backlog for just what I've accumulated this year. Barring anything that I got free via PS+ or extremely cheap in PSN sales (like, <$5 stuff that I was buying more for library reasons than anything else), my backlog is OUT OF CONTROL.

kJK1n98.png

Definitely going to cancel Gamefly. :(

Yeah I had Gamefly for about 6 months when I first got my X360. It took about that long to collect enough garbage from sales and such that I had a decent enough backlog to not need it anymore. Now, it's even easier to buy a bunch of games you don't need :)

So far this year I have bought:

Besiege

Cities: Skylines

Factorio

Fractured Space

Grow Home

Guild Wars 2

Shadow of Mordor Season Pass

Saint's Row 3 GOTY edition

Samurai Gun

Shadowrun Chronicles (actually kickstarted 2 years ago, but it just came out)

Broken Age (the same)

Star Trek Online (I throw FTP stuff on my list when I spend more than $20)

Talos Principle

Valkyria Chronicles

FIFA 2015

Monster Hunter 4

Echochrome

Tokyo Jungle

King of Dragon Pass (iPad)

Dragon Quest 8 (iPad)

Games to complete

WiiU

1) metroid echoes

2) corruption

3ds

1) monster hunter

2) kid Icarus

Ps4

1) axiom verge

2) never alone

3) Ether one

Vita

1) hotline Miami 2

2) danganronpa

3) the swapper

GameCube

1) Twilight princess

2) resident evil 4

I'm doing OK currently. I've been giving up games that don't interest me except for a few. I quit xenoblade because I was making no progress and found it kind of difficult to motivate myself to play it just because I knew it'd be 100+ hours of something that I wasn't massively into.

I'm also working on getting platinums which takes up a lot of time. Just got to make sure I hold off getting the Witcher for as long as possible. That'll halt my progress a lot.

Currently playing metroid prime echoes. And I'm waiting for axiom verge to make its way to vita before I finish it.

I just hit single digits on my Steam backlog. I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel.

post-31977-0-96139300-1432191022_thumb.png

How do you complete KSP? I just thought it was endless.

3ds
1) monster hunter

So far I've sunk 180 hours into this game. My GF has 220. Good luck! I suggest you choose your own definition of 'end game', because there are achievements in game, outside of G-Rank, and they're ludicrous, especially if you want to get them all.

Good job Zeus, that's pretty impressive. Good luck with Rage, that game is like 20 hours of my life I wish I could get back.

So far I've sunk 180 hours into this game. My GF has 220. Good luck! I suggest you choose your own definition of 'end game', because there are achievements in game, outside of G-Rank, and they're ludicrous, especially if you want to get them all.

My "completed" is do all the main caravan quests. I've actually taken a break from it because I hit a plateau, but I'm sure I'll be back in the near future.

How do you complete KSP? I just thought it was endless.

For games like that and Team Fortress I'm just aiming to get at least 10-20 hours logged at which point I'll call it "completed". We'll see though. I can see myself getting sucked into a game like KSP and stalling on that for a couple months.

Good job Zeus, that's pretty impressive. Good luck with Rage, that game is like 20 hours of my life I wish I could get back.

Thanks! And coincidentally, Rage just happens to be the next game on my list which I'll probably start tonight. The Giant Bomb guys seemed to get some enjoyment out of the game so I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll find some of those same things enjoyable.

Why do I feel like I have to gamify my backlog in order to progress through it? I bought these things for enjoyment, not as something to slog through. I'm loving most of the games I'm playing, but it doesn't change the fact I feel backlog pressure.

Such a weird thing.

I had that issue, then I stopped tracking everything and the pressure went away. Now my tracking is just what I'm playing and what I finish.

This evening I started playing a came named Mass Effect.

A million words have been written about this game and its series, but any game which lets you walk around on the moon and stare at the Earth in the sky is all right with me.

Even the Nintendo DS game Moon!

Why do I feel like I have to gamify my backlog in order to progress through it? I bought these things for enjoyment, not as something to slog through. I'm loving most of the games I'm playing, but it doesn't change the fact I feel backlog pressure.

Such a weird thing.

Talying a list of games I've bought versus games I've beaten each year has been a great midpoint for me, as I'm not stressed out having to complete a bunch of games, I mainly ended up just not buying as many.

I finished Rage and am down to just 8 games. The list is so small I don't even need to keep a list any more because I have the rest of it all mapped out.

Guacamelee -> Unepic -> Outlast -> Team Fortress 2 -> Batman: Arkham City -> Binding of Isaac -> FTL -> Kerbal Space Program.

I'm already 35% complete on Guacamelee too so soon this will be down to 7. Also, Guacamelee is a damn fine game. 

Boy, going from that to Unepic will be a jolt