Tanukitsune

Piracy has hit a new low....

Do you download an executable twice within a short time, with the exception of massive data loss, or would you simply transfer the file simply with a flash drive?

Yeah, I may have mentioned, but it really depends on whats going on, usually I don't have the organization skills to put it on a flash drive immediatly and carry it with me.

it really depends on the situation,b ut it might be noon hour at work and I want something to play that day, I don't have it on flash, so I redownload it. Or I need to show someone something and dont have it with me, so I download it.

I'm not saying this is what the majority does and it's completely cumstantial, but just saying that's me so I can see others doing it.

It really comes down to be impatient and unorganized, so I find it easier to download things then it is to organize my files on something I need to carry around.

Just to throw this out there...I've read that paypal charges $2.00 to process transactions, so if you use paypal and you pay less than $2.00 you're actually costing the developers money.

(The only video game I ever pirated was MW2 because FUCK YOU IW YOU CUNTS)

Oh, that's okay then.

I don't think they are that stupid, I just think some technical details were left out of the article - which happens all the time. They have tracking in place to see how many times games were downloaded from the referral key that they give you when you purchase the bundle. This referral key is unique to each purchaser. If you used your key say... like twice per game (for different computers) I don't think they would necessarily take that value especially if it's from the same IP or city; however, because some were traded via forums/etc. they can see some keys have 1000 downloads. I don't have 1000 computers.

Just to throw this out there...I've read that paypal charges $2.00 to process transactions, so if you use paypal and you pay less than $2.00 you're actually costing the developers money.

It's based on a percentage which is way under $2.00.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside

Considering it is a donation/for charity, they might have a special Merchant account from PayPal as well.

Also with your saying that it could be multiple downloads from one person, I straight up think that's idiotic (the person who would not you) the total size of the files is about 750mb, a usb stick would surely suffice. They also checked the ip addresses of the downloads, which wouldn't be different in the same house.

Would be for me, I often used to download games I bought when at my gf's for the weekend. I'm sure there's plenty of others who do the same.

Considering it is a donation/for charity, they might have a special Merchant account from PayPal as well.

That would be nice, but I doubt it considering Paypal's greed. I always try to pay people or companies I trust in other methods than Paypal when possible.

This thread... I don't see 25% as very bad at all in juxtaposition with the 75% and up figures everyone else spewed out the last few years, but that's just me. Most pirates probably have no idea where these download links come from at all if posted on a forum in a buffet type setting. They probably also have no idea they could just as well pay a penny since I bet those providing the links for the free downloads aren't letting that fact slip.

I'm more weirded out that people are pirating little known games. Isn't there some AAA title or cell phone game these types would want instead? It seems like Samorost 2 is a game that makes you feel bad for not giving the developers money for instance.

Also I should note that I carry around at least one USB stick at all times and it definitely tends to be more of a hassle. I usually don't like sticking things on my USB stick because either I tend to forget I put it on there in the first place or I have no space left on it and then I have to go through the chore of looking through the files on the USB stick I don't need anymore and can discard. Often if there's something I want to download that I find at work, I'll just e-mail myself the link and download it home instead just to make things more simple since I compulsively check my e-mail anyway.

That would be nice, but I doubt it considering Paypal's greed. I always try to pay people or companies I trust in other methods than Paypal when possible.

This thread... I don't see 25% as very bad at all in juxtaposition with the 75% and up figures everyone else spewed out the last few years, but that's just me. Most pirates probably have no idea where these download links come from at all if posted on a forum in a buffet type setting. They probably also have no idea they could just as well pay a penny since I bet those providing the links for the free downloads aren't letting that fact slip.

I'm more weirded out that people are pirating little known games. Isn't there some AAA title or cell phone game these types would want instead?

World of Goo is probably the main reason for it.

Holy shit, despite the piracy they actually managed to raise a million dollars? That's pretty god damn amazing for a bunch of indie games.

Some people simply pirate for pirating. Some people ar not even aware they are pirating. All they see is a download link for a game.

I think this is the main reason. I mean some of my friends are pirating games because they say it is stupid to pay for games, even though they play them all the time. I've seen many people, who pirate games, criticize others for not pirating, myself included...and after that the are teaching 7 years olds to pirate.....

More of the ilegal downloads than you think probably come from children, who are afraid of their parents seeing them buying and playing violent games(what in itself is another topic to discuise).

I probably more than you somehow understand(not support) why they are pirating. One of the reasons is probably they cannot afford new games(for that reason I'm fine with pirating-Bigger you play with us, bigger we get:)....the community of course-....but really you can't pay 15E for Orenge box half year after release?), the other, especially big reason here is that ''pirates'' don't have any picture in their heads how the industrie works. They just think this games make themselves(like some think internet can be controlled, because it is somewhere in some box).

Edit:When reading this, I'm probably one that should probably complain about this specific case, since I too haven't bought it yet. Sorry, I still haven't changed that shitty credit card.

Well, in all I don't believe for a second that the people have pirated this did so because they're evil. Someone posts a link to some free games. Woot. It works! Chances are that willful ignorance played a large part in such cases, rather than a desire to steal from charities. I imagine that the kids on 4chan don't have credit cards, PayPal accounts or, indeed, any money. And their parents don't believe they need any more games, either.

This is along the same lines of what you two are saying, but there's also a big problem where some countries might commonly have citizens with bank accounts that don't work with Paypal or people who don't normally apply for credit cards, and even if they did, it's possible it might not be an internationally loved Visa or Mastercard.

I think everyone is missing the point. Wolfire made a blog a week or so before the bundle went live, talking about how people are motivated to pirate for reasons beyond the monetary. They talked about how every customer that stole could not be equated to one that would have bought a copy, and suggested there were other reasons that people pirate.

The bundle went live, they noticed some piracy, and he posted a followup basically confirming that even when presented with the ability to pay a penny, people still stole. And then he restated why people would do so.

Reading between the lines, I feel like he knew he was going to be writing this post well before the bundle went live. He wanted to highlight that it's possible to respond to piracy without burning your real customers.

I think this is the main reason. I mean some of my friends are pirating games because they say it is stupid to pay for games, even though they play them all the time. I've seen many people, who pirate games, criticize others for not pirating, myself included...and after that the are teaching 7 years olds to pirate.....

More of the ilegal downloads than you think probably come from children, who are afraid of their parents seeing them buying and playing violent games(what in itself is another topic to discuise).

I probably more than you somehow understand(not support) why they are pirating. One of the reasons is probably they cannot afford new games(for that reason I'm fine with pirating-Bigger you play with us, bigger we get:)....the community of course-....but really you can't pay 15E for Orenge box half year after release?), the other, especially big reason here is that ''pirates'' don't have any picture in their heads how the industrie works. They just think this games make themselves(like some think internet can be controlled, because it is somewhere in some box).

Edit:When reading this, I'm probably one that should probably complain about this specific case, since I too haven't bought it yet. Sorry, I still haven't changed that shitty credit card.

Yeah a short while back a guy posted on Telltale's forums with a similar subject: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=288445#post288445

Holy shit, despite the piracy they actually managed to raise a million dollars? That's pretty god damn amazing for a bunch of indie games.
Where did you get that figure from?
I can't remember the exact numbers, but when World of Goo went Pay What You Like, the developers said that any payment under about 20 cents actually cost PayPal money to process (given credit card transactions and whatnot) and that given the percentage of people who paid small amounts, PayPal would have lost more money than earned over the course of the offer.

What does this have to do with the piracy of the humble bundle? Also...I'm curious about this animosity that Idle Thumbs has toward Destructoid. I trust that there's a reason for it...I just don't know what it is, somebody please fill me in?

Actually I was calling Ubisoft assholes. I just posted it because it was obviously a case where Ubisoft was inflating their piracy figure.

Yeah a short while back a guy posted on Telltale's forums with a similar subject: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=288445#post288445

I love how the second post equates stealing to killing someone. I had to stop reading after that.

Not to mention the proceeds go to charity! :tdown::(:fart::frusty::eek::shifty:

As an aside: The proceeds do NOT go to charity. It is completely misleading to say so.

The person buying the games has the choice to donate some money to charity during the buying process. That's not the same as proceeds going to charity.

It might also be worth mentioning that the only charities you can donate to are Child's Play and the EFF. How important you consider these charities will obviously vary from person to person (they may not even do any work in your country).

In 7 days Wolfire collected $1,123,645. 30% of which went to the above two charities.

I just made my donation :tup:

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

I just got this as a gift from my brother! Really looking forward to playing some of these. I had gish and WoG from a while back, but i haven't found time to play either much.

Pirates will always pirate. Most of the time I find these are people who wouldn't buy the game to begin with, but when they can get it for free they will just to check it out.

I can't totally blame them considering how many bad games are out there. It's the same thing for DVD.

anywhooo I picked it up and I'm enjoying it a lot!

On behalf of my fellow pirates (The only video game I ever pirated was MW2 because FUCK YOU IW YOU CUNTS) the only reason I can think of is pure convenience.

What the fuck is the point of paying 1 cent when you could just pay no cents?

Saves time and effort doing the whole credit card thing and 1 cent isn't going to do them any good.

That said, i'll probably buy this for 1 dollar.

The point of paying 1 cent is that it's a cent that goes to charity. Saying "well, there's plenty of other people who will buy it, so why should I bother?" is a slippery slope to see someone sliding slowly and sinuously down sounthwards.

Honestly, the biggest section of pirates who download cracked games is probably teenagers. I can attest to the fact that we rarely have enough to to pay for games, so... Piracy!

Full disclosure: I have pirated games before, but it's made a squirm every time, and I universally buy them anyway. Dawn of War 2, being an example (and I'm glad I did, the commercial version was very different, and much better then the prerelease version.

Also, the reason for pirating MW2 is... not exactly what I'd call sound.

Now can you even pay 1ct when paypal charges 30ct per transaction?