Tanukitsune

Piracy has hit a new low....

People are pirating a game that they could just pay ONE CENT for!

Not to mention the proceeds go to charity! :tdown::(:fart::frusty::eek::shifty:

WOW! JUST WOW! What excuse do you have pirates? Are you fighting the evil corporations? Nope, they are indie games!

Are doing it because it has DRM? Nope, it's DRM free!

Are you doing because it's too expensive? Nope, you can pay ONE CENT if you want to!

Are you doing it because it's unavailable in your country? Nope, it's digital, so anybody can get it!

You have no credits card? It's ONE CENT! Ask a friend to buy it for you! If none of your friends is willing to pay ONE CENT for you then they aren't your friends!

I don't give a damn when, what or if you pirate, but when it's so cheap and it's for a good cause... You are being something so heinous that makes douchbaggery look like frolicking in the forest!:finger:

Seriously, guys.... stop being douchebags... :shifty:

And you don't even need a credit card as services like PayPal can even use debit cards and bank accounts directly.

It's pretty sad...

I did; however, purchase this fine package over the weekend even though I have no idea when I will get around to playing any of it :(

They're just downloading it to see if it's any good before they buy it.

But demos are so limited! They want the real experience before they shell out.

But they invented better demos! They include 300% more content than the actual content plus all DLC, even the ones they scrapped because they were too silly...

AND 50.000.000 multiplayer skins!

But the best part is getting THIS achievement:

Achievement.aspx?text=Not%20a%20total%20douchebag%20500000G

That's just shitty.

The head of Wolfire Games even published an article, explaining how the loss from piracy is much less than the game companies tout, and how instead they have had great success by just offering up awesome games at a low price without hassle. Way to prove him wrong.

You don't get the full experience unless the game thinks you paid for it.

Paying one cent is pretty stupid though. I don't know off hand how much the various fees are in a credit card transaction, but probably some 1000% or more comparing to the amount paid in that case.

I wonder how they would even track that? Through referrer?

Because I downloaded the games from various locations for different systems.

Anyway it's not a new low. Some people simply pirate for pirating. Some people ar not even aware they are pirating. All they see is a download link for a game.

I wonder how they would even track that? Through referrer?

Because I downloaded the games from various locations for different systems.

Anyway it's not a new low. Some people simply pirate for pirating. Some people ar not even aware they are pirating. All they see is a download link for a game.

Yeah, seems like their number is based on # of downloads. I think I download at least twice when I buy digitally. 25% seems way inflated. More like 24%.

I'm actually pretty sure that piracy is HELPING the sales of this bundle. If there are any "good guys" in the video game industry these are clearly some of them. Like any intelligent person they understand that punishing customers with annoying (or worse) DRM schemes is not the answer to piracy, but unlike developers working for big name publishers they're in a position to not include it.

Stories like this about people pirating these games just encourages more people to throw them a few dollars, driving sales that they definitely would not have seen otherwise. Hell, I just bought a second bundle because I want to support what they're doing. And I already had half the games in the bundle BEFORE they started this promotion.

And hey, it's better for super cheap asses to pirate the games rather than paying a penny, which would actually cost the developers money in transaction fees.

I doubt that many people are buying or re-buying the bundle just because people are pirating it...

How reliable are download stats to track piracy? I mean many of us already own most of the games and are only downloading the ones we don't own!:erm:

As far as I understand, you access the download page for all 6 games with a key you receive on purchase. So they're likely tracking multiple uses of the same key. Not exactly the most precise system, but it's a good idea.

I payed half of the price of each game total, and enjoyed them quite a bit. It's a shame people are doing this.

The head of Wolfire Games even published an article, explaining how the loss from piracy is much less than the game companies tout, and how instead they have had great success by just offering up awesome games at a low price without hassle. Way to prove him wrong.
Like any intelligent person they understand that punishing customers with annoying (or worse) DRM schemes is not the answer to piracy, but unlike developers working for big name publishers they're in a position to not include it.

This is one of the things said by the head of Wolfire in his follow up about people pirating the Humble Indie Bundle.

Basically, the piracy still isn't bothering him.

You have to remember that these so called "piracy" figures are NOT numbers from torrents or Rapidshare: They're just the number of times the bundle has been downloaded from the official site, compared with the number of donations they've had.

Which actually means that 1 in four people who have bought the software legitimately, have downloaded it twice. (Possibly, also legitimately.) It's really not that shocking when looked at it in that way, if you ask me. I could see myself downloading it twice for any number of reasons (second computer, etc). This just looks like crappy, lazy journalism to me (shock!).

As for the people who actually DID pirate it, I imagine that a lot of them might not even be aware how cheaply it is available (they just clicked on a link that someone sent them). (Plus the "penny gap" is still pretty huge.)

On behalf of my fellow pirates (The only video game I ever pirated was MW2 because FUCK YOU IW YOU CUNTS) the only reason I can think of is pure convenience.

What the fuck is the point of paying 1 cent when you could just pay no cents?

Saves time and effort doing the whole credit card thing and 1 cent isn't going to do them any good.

That said, i'll probably buy this for 1 dollar.

You have to remember that these so called "piracy" figures are NOT numbers from torrents or Rapidshare: They're just the number of times the bundle has been downloaded from the official site, compared with the number of donations they've had.

Which actually means that 1 in four people who have bought the software legitimately, have downloaded it twice. (Possibly, also legitimately.) It's really not that shocking when looked at it in that way, if you ask me. I could see myself downloading it twice for any number of reasons (second computer, etc). This just looks like crappy, lazy journalism to me (shock!).

As for the people who actually DID pirate it, I imagine that a lot of them might not even be aware how cheaply it is available (they just clicked on a link that someone sent them). (Plus the "penny gap" is still pretty huge.)

There is a weird thing where people will expect ore from something that is free than that which costs £7/$10. It could probably be modelled similarly to a parabola.

Also with your saying that it could be multiple downloads from one person, I straight up think that's idiotic (the person who would not you) the total size of the files is about 750mb, a usb stick would surely suffice. They also checked the ip addresses of the downloads, which wouldn't be different in the same house.

Also with your saying that it could be multiple downloads from one person, I straight up think that's idiotic (the person who would not you) the total size of the files is about 750mb, a usb stick would surely suffice. They also checked the ip addresses of the downloads, which wouldn't be different in the same house.

Not trying to pad the excuses here, but downloading more then once doesn't seem that far fetched. I do it all the time for a bunch of reasons.

Not trying to pad the excuses here, but downloading more then once doesn't seem that far fetched. I do it all the time for a bunch of reasons.

Do you download an executable twice within a short time, with the exception of massive data loss, or would you simply transfer the file simply with a flash drive?

Reading the blog post on the matter, he says that people are putting the download codes out on steam forums, 4chan and other places like them. That's why it's not unreasonable to assume a lot of the people who have downloaded it have done so without contributing. In addition, he has calculated the average download amount in MB from one IP address. I think a lot of people who downloaded it more than once, would do it from the same address, no?

NOW WHO'S LAZY JOURNALISM?!

(sorry)

I frequently install games both at work and at home, putting them on a USB stick is probably more hassle than just letting them download in the background :P