Squid Division

Unnecessary Comical Picture Thread

I thought it was hilarious :P but I'm also hardened towards antagonistic animals.

If it were another dog it would be weird because that dog could be someone's escaped pet, but not because there's some thing about dogs being special.  Doesn't matter what it is, if it's a threat to something you love responding with force is appropriate, it would be weird to do otherwise.

Who is to say it's even being antagonistic? Most likely if a dog is left outside all night, it's going to attack whatever comes into it's territory. The hypothetical of it being another dog is because dog fights are much more serious and harder to break up, in which case throwing a dog down a flight of stairs is even still excessive. Picking up a wild raccoon is also an incredibly stupid idea.

Also it's generally not advised to leave your dog out all night because of safety issues like this and because barking can be fucking obnoxious to everyone around.

Hmmmm... I definitely think hurling an animal down a set of stairs is a bit excessive. Although, if I was in his position I probably would have attempted to pick the raccoon up and then just sort of panicked and not know where to throw it. Still though I think I would have got a broom handle or something and try to pry the raccoon off the dog. 

You know, that's pretty spiteful but it's not actually that insightful. If you took out the nice language basically what it's saying is 'it sucks really bad'.  I didn't really see why everyone thought it was that clever.

Because the colorful language makes it funny? Why does it have to be "insightful" to be funny?

Well it's supposed to be feedback, but the feedback is basically 300 words that boil down to variations on 'it sucks'. It could be about anything, and it would be equally meaningless. I prefer my bilious insults to provide some truth. 

I did a quick word swap to see what it looked like with another subject:

American Idol is a shape-shifting, chimeric shadow of suffering and despair, a cruel joke perpetrated upon honest men and women at the brutish whim of bloodthirsty sociopaths sick with bilious greed and absent mercy or decency. Watching American Idol is picking out the wallpaper for one's own death row holding cell, the cleaver for one's own blood sacrifice.

Like the catcall of "whore" or "crook," American Idol passes judgement before you even turned it on. American Idol is the relief promised under the pressure of thumbscrews. If you were innocent, why did you start watching American Idol in the first place?

Watching American Idol is punishing oneself for the corporeal scars of abuse. Maybe it's me, maybe it's me, American Idol fans whisper quietly, alone, every Tuesday, before heaving the deep, lumbering sighs of resignation beyond sorrow.

I don't know about you, but that feels like it fits pretty well, which suggests that none of those sentences need the Facebook Platform in there to communicate their intent. So it's an elaborate way to say 'it sucks', and frankly I don't feel the need to applaud excessive verbiage considering that I can elongate my elocutions sufficiently well that others' efforts are not impressive.

Compare that to an extract from Bogost's followup:

Facebook is special in [its indifference to developers], because its outward claims toward "connecting people" are so poetically at odds with its actual business of extracting value and attention from them at all costs. Facebook is like a kindergarten run by child molesters.

Cutting, super mean and funny, but it says something specific about the Facebook platform.

That is my favorite image of the day. Excellent.

I love the fact that amazon is the only place left where those shitty image based page counters are used

I guess this is an actual thing where like 700 artists are redrawing the entirety of the Akira manga with Simpsons characters. This is the best possible joke by far.

FrKA2MB.jpg