Squid Division

Unnecessary Comical Picture Thread

Loosely related to puns, I decided that if I write a wild west story, it'll feature a southpaw gunslinger named Lefty Lucy. I have no puns for Righty Tighty yet.

Dear god... It makes no sense!

Well, what if you translate the headline as "Glue heads to sewer"? That's less literal but still has a pun within it, and the confusion over plurals could be written off as a symptom of whatever landed him in the institution.

Finnish quiz (content shamefully stolen from the Comics Megathread on SA, where Fingerpori is posted fairly regularly):

I say Finnish is excellent.

You say "Kyllä, Suomi on paras kieli parhaillaan puhutaan tänään."

Do you mean

1) "Yes, Finnish is the best language currently being spoken today."

or

2) "Your father brutally sodomized a pig last night."

or

3) Both?

Well, what if you translate the headline as "Glue heads to sewer"? That's less literal but still has a pun within it, and the confusion over plurals could be written off as a symptom of whatever landed him in the institution.

That must be the intended joke, surely, as that now makes perfect sense!

Speaking of Finns, I was reminded recently of the Leningrad Cowboys. What a great group. I had no idea they're still performing. What joy! Below is not recent, but they're still great.

http://youtu.be/mgjNq-Y8NGk

(okay it's not a picture but they're awesome)

What causes stuff like the strip you posted is this shit: http://en.wikipedia....native_language

Is that also the reason for the crazy letter combinations? Or is that just different spelling conventions?

I was rather excited when I discovered that there were languages that had sequences of multiple umlaut/diaeresis-bearing letters in a row. I later discovered that such a thing is possible with certain compound words or affixes or something in Swedish (and presumably the other Germanic Scandinavian languages), but it seems to be much more common in Finnish, presumably because of its highly agglutinative nature.

Language is one of those things that rides the cusp between my being interested in things and my being too lazy to learn much about them.

The first image, I haven't a clue? Just saw it on gaf. Instant classic.

The second in from some Japanese gambling game (I think) I remember the first time I saw it I almost wet myself

It's Japan World Cup 3 and I'm offended anyone could forget its majesty.

tumblr_lzsveqw8po1qat62to1_250.giftumblr_lzsveqw8po1qat62to3_250.giftumblr_lzsveqw8po1qat62to4_250.giftumblr_lzsveqw8po1qat62to2_250.gif

I wish I knew what these were from. It's probably something popular I miss out on from not watching TV.

Is that also the reason for the crazy letter combinations? Or is that just different spelling conventions?

I was rather excited when I discovered that there were languages that had sequences of multiple umlaut/diaeresis-bearing letters in a row. I later discovered that such a thing is possible with certain compound words or affixes or something in Swedish (and presumably the other Germanic Scandinavian languages), but it seems to be much more common in Finnish, presumably because of its highly agglutinative nature.

Language is one of those things that rides the cusp between my being interested in things and my being too lazy to learn much about them.

Finnish is not a germanic language and isn't related to the other Scandinavian languages at all (apart from some loan words) but has a language branch all of it's own (along with Estonian, Sami and some other minor "baltic-finnic" languages), which explains a lot of it's peculiarities. I'm not sure about other Scandinavian languages but in Swedish double vowels are usually only found in compound words with a few exceptions like "öar" (islands) and "åar" (streams). ÖÄÅ don't have any special standing here, they're just vowels like the rest of them. I can't think of any words, compound or not, that uses more than one in a row though I'm sure you could construct some.

abd307.gif

See all I can think when you put People : Power in front of me is the Matrix.

I'm sort of baffled that people always regard nuclear energy as dirty. As far as I've ever heard from people for or against, the only existing hazard is that the health standards are very poor in countries where uranium is mined. That's kind of nutty because that's strictly a casualty of affluent nations refusing to mine uranium, leaving the dirty work to the third world. Of course, I'm absolutely thrilled that Germany's solar program has been so successful, but the environmental impact of nuclear is so bafflingly low compared with coal or hydroelectric power it's nutty to me to call it dirty. The biggest nuclear catastrophe of all time was chernobyl (hiroshima and nagasaki were intentional and aren't pertinent) and if you go to chernobyl today, it's a fantastic nature preserve, because animal populations don't actually mind radiation as much as heavy metals.

/rant

Still funny images.

Well, the one serious long-term environmental problem with nuclear energy is that we have no way to properly dispose of its waste. But other than that, yeah, it's significantly cleaner than fossil fuels.

From an engineering perspective I am sometimes troubled by the fact that we start literal chain reactions that we can't really stop in any safe way in order to draw from their energy, though. It's kind of like hitching a ride down a mountain on a rolling boulder - sure, it works, but there aren't any brakes.

From an engineering perspective I am sometimes troubled by the fact that we start literal chain reactions that we can't really stop in any safe way in order to draw from their energy, though. It's kind of like hitching a ride down a mountain on a rolling boulder - sure, it works, but there aren't any brakes.

Modern reactor designs are nonsustaining. If the system fails, they stop. Problem is most reactors in working order were designed in the 70s, and sadly nuclear energy research is a much smaller field than it once was

Anyway I don't want to derail the thread, so here's a comical picture

tumblr_mda78jwMyK1rikt3no1_1280.jpg