Squid Division

Unnecessary Comical Picture Thread

CkQXD.gif

Reading translations of Fingerpori (and explanations of the puns in it) makes me wonder how Finns ever manage to get anything done.

Even a neighbour saying "Good morning" must require the listener to spend an hour working out whether it was a greeting or an imprecation against malignant weevils.

Man, you're a weird one subbes. Fingerpori is likely the least translatable thing in existence. I don't know who would be silly enough to spend the time and effort to make any of those understandable to people who don't speak the language. I don't see how reading the results could lead to anything but quiet bafflement :P

Is Finnish really as crazy-layered a language as Fingerpori makes it seem?

p.s.

QzUyh.jpg

In my imagination, it's singing all the time she's carrying it.

Subbes, could you write down the translation of that Fingerpori comic? It''ll probably read like anime subtitles of puns.

CkQXD.gif

Reading translations of Fingerpori (and explanations of the puns in it) makes me wonder how Finns ever manage to get anything done.

Even a neighbour saying "Good morning" must require the listener to spend an hour working out whether it was a greeting or an imprecation against malignant weevils.

Haha.. weird. Where have you found these translations?

Subbes, could you write down the translation of that Fingerpori comic? It''ll probably read like anime subtitles of puns.

The first frame is set in a factory and the second in a mental institution. "Liimaa pääsi viemäriin" can mean either "Glue got into the sewers." or "Glue your head to the sewer."

Here is one that almost works in English as well:

Fingerpori-7.4.2010.jpeg

- What's your job at Fingerpoli?

- I answer for (in) the air conditioning system.

- I'm a janitor.

The first frame is set in a factory and the second in a mental institution. "Liimaa pääsi viemäriin" can mean either "Glue got into the sewers." or "Glue your head to the sewer."

That's hilarious!

It seems dangerous to have a language in which everything has one safe, useful meaning, and one dangerous, hilarious one.

Is Finnish really as crazy-layered a language as Fingerpori makes it seem?

Technically, yes, but in practice all languages intensely contextual. Fingerpori is funny because it uncovers the double meanings that generally never occur to us in day to day life.

What causes stuff like the strip you posted is this shit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agglutinative_language

We have so many cases, tenses, affixes etc. that one form of one word is bound to be a homonym with some other for of another word.

Examples:

http://dynamic.hs.fi/w/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Fingerpori-23.6.2011.jpeg

It's a stand supposedly selling mid summer mead. They each buy a mug and in the third panel, the woman asks Juha to prepare two portions. The word "Juhannussimaa" could (technically) also mean "something fucked by Juha".

http://dynamic.hs.fi/w/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Fingerpori-8.1.2011.jpeg

Here the stand reads "Eggs from the Summer Isles". The man asks if the people in the stand are the owners. They say yes, the woman is called Suvi and the man is called Risto. If the sign was written "Suvi saa Riston munaa", it would mean "Suvi gets fucked by Risto".

These are published every day in our most respected and largest newspaper along with all the other comic strips like goddamn Garfield.

Goddamn Garfield. Fingerpoli is insane though, I'd be most vexed to have a janitor in the vents.