Squid Division

Unnecessary Comical Picture Thread

Lol, same here :)

Although, I believe "milliways" should have been there.

Loved Red Dwarf when I was a kid, but not so much after going back to it recently. It's very crass, stupid and British. Overall, I'm a little fond of it.

The first series had a really low budget and it shows. The next few really pick up, and I'd say it peaked with series four. If you want a sample of it, try the first episode to see if you like the premise, then if you're not too worried about spoilers or continuity, any of these episodes to show it at its best: Polymorph, Bodyswap, Camille, or DNA.

I think it's dated, but if your grew up with it, or are especially open to British humour, there's some gold there. The first two series, and the last two, are the worst.

Red Dwarf is still one of my favorite series.

But why listen to me, listen to Patrick Stewart about Red Dwarf:

HKw6Z0CCNtY

I've seen all of Red Dwarf, but I don't think you really lose much if you just see the first season.

brkl, are you saying that if you've seen the first season you've seen them all? Because that would be a strange opinion.

Apart from that, everyone's been pretty much on target. There are a lot of fans who love the second season in particular, though (Queeg especially). For the first two seasons, you have to see past the terrible budget and some inexperienced actors to enjoy the characterisation and dialogue (especially in the second) and some cool sci-fi concepts even if they don't always blend with the comedy too well. Then from season 3 they reboot it a little with a brighter look and some new cast. Again, it starts off a bit wobbly budget- and effects-wise but the writing and the acting keep getting better from then on, and the whole thing is a lot tighter. My personal favourite season is 6, with 5 a close second.

I recommend watching all of them, but stick to one ep a day or a week otherwise you'll get fatigue. And don't bother with 7 or 8 except out of curiosity - one of the two writers left and it suffers really badly.

brkl, are you saying that if you've seen the first season you've seen them all? Because that would be a strange opinion.

If you see the first season, you get to experience the feel of the show, see that lovely introduction at the start of each episode and in general you will see what the show is about. There are a couple of stand out episodes later, but in general the show doesn't get any better later (but it's often a lot worse). As for the effects budgets and such, the less you see of that the better. It's not like they are ever good, so the show is not at its best when it's showing off special effects.

There are a lot of fans who love the second season in particular, though (Queeg especially). For the first two seasons, you have to see past the terrible budget and some inexperienced actors to enjoy the characterisation and dialogue (especially in the second) and some cool sci-fi concepts even if they don't always blend with the comedy too well. Then from season 3 they reboot it a little with a brighter look and some new cast. Again, it starts off a bit wobbly budget- and effects-wise but the writing and the acting keep getting better from then on, and the whole thing is a lot tighter. My personal favourite season is 6, with 5 a close second.

I recommend watching all of them, but stick to one ep a day or a week otherwise you'll get fatigue. And don't bother with 7 or 8 except out of curiosity - one of the two writers left and it suffers really badly.

This = :tup:

I hope that's tongue-in-cheek, because it's pretty much the standard argument for 40-year-old losers who aren't very good at online games. "It's only because I'm having awesome sex the whole time with my hot girlfriend and because I've got a job." As if those are all things that automatically happen to you when you turn 20 and CANNOT BE DONE before that age. And this guy even adds in "and because I go extreme sporting every day." Surrre you do, pal.

I think it's safe to say he is exaggerating for comic effect.

edit: Also how does not being good at any type of game make one a loser? Ability at games bears no relation to one's worth. I'm pretty crap at a lot of game genres but I still enjoy them. It's exactly that "you suck" attitude that this strip was created in response to. Most people who suck, do not, in fact suck.

I think it's safe to say he is exaggerating for comic effect.

edit: Also how does not being good at any type of game make one a loser?

I didn't say it does, I said this is the response of losers (at life) who suck (at a game).

And I hope he's aware of that and playing on it...