Sombre

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 7: Remember the Airfield

Remember The Airfield

A minicast of rambling awaits you within. Activision continues to cut its baffling path through the industry, as Chris and Steve discover that an enemy never forgets. With special guest star Video Games.

Games Discussed: Halo: Combat Evolved, Splinter Cell: Conviction, The Operative: No One Lives Forever, No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way, A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way 2: The Operative, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, Deadly Premonition

Download here.

Edit: I used the Bargo Busters thread as a template for this OP. Jesus Christ, I almost had a heartattack when Jake shouted BARGO BUSTERS.

Edited by Sombre

I cried when I saw 47 minutes, and I smiled when I heard mention of Puffins. All things considered, I enjoyed this podblast.

Quick point in relation to the Ash cloud, if the plane flew through the ash cloud the ash could go into the engine and turn into glass under the temperature. I don't know if the density would be even close to make the plane stop.

Since when did 47 minutes of content be considered as a podblast? spoiled listeners! :)

For Steve: Thank you for noticing that African American politician interrogation in the Lincoln Memorial.

I brought this up during production and basically they thought I was crazy, so I felt bad that I was the only one that made that odd connection... until now.

So thank you again.

Steve verbalized exactly how I feel about Cate Archer and the NOLF series. I should replay it again.

Haven't laughed like this in a while (Samuel L. Jackson holding onto butts). 47 minutes went by way too quickly, but well spent.

Sweet cast, regardless of length- Great to have Steve's snark back in the mix!

Jokes about every episode being the last one ever appear to be our hosts' new favorite meme, but I think some of us die a little inside every time it's cast into our faces...

Re: Bungie + Activision- Bungie will be fine. I've seen nothing to indicate this deal is anything more than a publishing arrangement, meaning that Bungie isn't being aquired by Activision, and they might not even be getting the IP itself, just the rights to market and sell it for a decade. That said, anything that puts money in ActiBlizzon's pockets makes me a little sad, so I agree that this seems like a net industry WTF all around. Also, publishers DO tend to have a certain amount of control over how the games themselves are created these days, so there may still be some form of creative fallout from this... Personally, I hope Bungie makes as weird and experimental an IP as they can, to get away from the Halo typecasting they're likely to have as long as the studio exists.

By the by, how did the whole Jurrasic Park meme start again? I'm assuming it spun off of this ala señor Goldgame -

And the comments about guards talking too much in Splinter Cell dovetails nicely with a recent PA comic of course-

838303391_mkMe4-L.jpg

Odd hearing a question I sent in read out - even if it wasn't really a great discussion point hehe.

I think what I was getting at was I don't think I've ever really seen a game gather so much collective internet impetus before despite the fact that it is just atrocious as a game, I was wondering if it was the first real game cult classic in the vein of like They Live or Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (although, I'll admit I'm a fan of those two). I think Illbleed is a really good example, although obviously didn't have the same sort of coverage that DP has had.

Thinking about it though, the internet has brought the world lolcats, rickrolling and justin beiber, so I guess you can never really underestimate its power. I followed that Swery65 dude on twitter just to see what his deal was and while he's pretty humble for the most part; judging by the sheer amount of people messaging him and his retweets of other people "praising" the game, he really just can't "get it".

Or maybe I'm just being a jerk about it and should be happy that this game/meme might actually turn into a series given its apparent popularity :)

Bad bad games famous on the Internet and so on: Big Rigs. I downloaded that some time (thereby killing the games industry). It's pretty amazing. You can reverse infinitely fast! You stick to the terrain like it's a rollercoaster! The terrain is the only solid thing in the game! The numbers don't fit on the speedometer thing!

I'm sure this is old news to everyone, but the reality of the thing really is hilarious. I've never made computer games and am a simpleton, but I can't imagine the developers spent more than a weekend on it. It's ridiculous.

Big Rigs?

Don't you mean Big Mutha Truckers? Or the sequel Big Mutha Truckers 2: Truck Me Harder.

Or do you mean the 18 Wheels of Steel series?

Or the Hard Truck games?

seriously... isn't there any trucking game that doesn't suck?

Edit: no wait... it is Big Rigs, the one from 2003, not 1989.

The review:

I never heard of Deadly Premonition, and when I first heard this, I didn't understand why you were covering a Super Mario World song. So after this podcast, I checked youtube and realized this is music from a

Does anyone else think it's a Super Mario World cover?

I never heard of Deadly Premonition, and when I first heard this, I didn't understand why you were covering a Super Mario World song. So after this podcast, I checked youtube and realized this is music from a

Does anyone else think it's a Super Mario World cover?

Very slightly.

Maybe subconsciously the guy who wrote Life Is Beautiful did that but it probably wasn't deliberate, just like Snooglebum when he accidentally put the Pause Theme From Battletoads into Mr Bucket In The Ides Of April. :tup:

Very slightly.

Maybe subconsciously the guy who wrote Life Is Beautiful did that but it probably wasn't deliberate, just like Snooglebum when he accidentally put the Pause Theme From Battletoads into Mr Bucket In The Ides Of April. :tup:

I'm still not sure how I put that in there without noticing. O_O

Say, that gives me an idea...

Every time I try to whistle the Deadly Premonition whistle it starts to blend into this or

I'm pretty terrible at whistling though..

Also, I hope Samuel L. Jackson is actually the owner of his own replica hand, with everything else you said still being true.

I just tried to reproduce the Super Mario theme in my head and after about 3 notes it turned into the Beverly Hills Cop theme. Been a very long time since I've actually heard the Mario theme.

"Fisher. This is Phaedrus. I remember the fuckin' airfield. Did you get my fax? It came out of that speaker..."

Well, everyone on the bus thinks i'm a complete idiot. I was in tears by this point.:tup:

I'm thrilled that my question led to a five minute tangent. Thanks, guys! bad games are so much more enjoyable when you laugh at them. Although Deadly Premonition really just takes that ideal to most ridiculous extreme imaginable.

In regards to Splinter Cell, It's worth playing through at least the rest of the co-op campaign, if you guys haven't already. Xeneth, that comic came out the day after I stayed up super-late playing the game myself, and made my entire day. The next comic they did was also pretty accurate:

841961522_7krbF-L.jpg

"Fisher. This is Phaedrus. I remember the fuckin' airfield. Did you get my fax? It came out of that speaker..."

Well, everyone on the bus thinks i'm a complete idiot. I was in tears by this point.:tup:

I was in the car with my mum, she thinks i'm crazy.

Think I will save this one for my flight on Tuesday, hard to resist listening though.

By the by, how did the whole Jurrasic Park meme start again? I'm assuming it spun off of this ala señor Goldgame -

Pretty much. For some reason Sean (Famous) got the Goldblum noises video stuck in his head and started doing it at work for the week leading up to the previous cast. It reignited the Goldblum fascination. Breckon posted this on Twitter a couple days ago which didn't help either.

This was a hilarious episode. I was dying through all the airfield business. It's almost that absurd in the game.

In regard to cult "so bad it's good" games, there have been a ton of games that would have received the same kind of recognition through the years had they come out in a time with this insane convergence of social media. It's amazing how quickly a meme can explode and then collapse back in on itself and turn inside out and go back in time and fertilize your mom's ovum.

Check this list for some likely contenders: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_notable_for_negative_reception