Sign in to follow this  
Patters

Limited editions, what's your stance?

So with the recent announcement to the Special versions of Halo Reach, for which I am quite interested in the Legendary edition. I'm no stranger to buying these versions of games, with the latest ones I have bought being Forza 3, Mass Effect 2 and Blazblue, all of these are quite cool, especially Forza 3, it seems right to detail what these editions come with:

Forza 3: A really smart looking case which contains the game, a keyring, a USB stick and and exclusive DLC pack. The DLC includes access to cars gifted by Turn 10 often with superb paintjobs.

Mass Effect 2: Again a really smart case along with a great steelbook box for the game. Along with this there is a nice comic and a reasonable artbook. Finally there is a code for some throwaway DLC (armour and a gun).

Blazblue: Probably the worst of the three, the containing box is a flimsy cardboard, though what is contained is better. A pretty cool art book is included (of higher quality than that in ME2, though not hardback) and a DVD covering how to play the game, which has information learnt from high end players, giving strategies and tips on every character.

I'm not going to get into the worthless ones such as BFBC2 and Splinter Cell Conviction Shadow Edition, with their throwaway early unlocks and exclusive DLC.

So what is your view on Special Editions and what are some you have seen that you like or dislike?

I barely have the money for new, full-priced games at all, so I don't ever consider getting Limited or Special editions.

That said, I was very impressed with the super-duper Bioshock 2 box, which came with:

• The game
  • Vinyl 180g LP featuring the orchestral score from the original BioShock
  • CD containing the BioShock 2 orchestral score
  • A 164 page 8"x11" hardbound artbook chock full of developer commentary
  • Three posters featuring vintage ads from Rapture

Not sure if I've ever bought one in my life. Can't remember, so I probably haven't. I usually spend a decent amount of effort avoiding a game at full price, so paying even more than that just seems backward.

Of course, I'm not against them ideologically or anything. The Blazblue pack-ins look appealing.

I find it insulting when they give DLC or additional content that's not obtainable otherwise. It's ridiculous.

I find it insulting when they give DLC or additional content that's not obtainable otherwise. It's ridiculous.

I tend to agree with this, though with Forza 3 I take an exception, the VIP car pack has since been released on the marketplace and a continuous effort has been made to give those with the VIP car pack an enhanced experience, without reducing that of those without.

I like the special edition where I get additional real world goodies or a CD\DVD with extra non-in-game stuff (like making off and game score).

The best special edition version I've got is probably the one from Bioshock 2 (the one with the record). I've also got Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, Batman: Arkham Asylum, UT2004, UT3, Darnwinia+Multiwinia, Myst 3, Bioshock 1, Prince of Persia (2008).

I loath unlockable in-game stuff reserved for special editions or pre-orders.

A special or collectors edition should be affordable. It shouldn't be as ridiculous as God of War 3, Modern Warfare 2, Halo: Reach. Which cost more than twice as the normal version.

I tend to agree with this, though with Forza 3 I take an exception, the VIP car pack has since been released on the marketplace and a continuous effort has been made to give those with the VIP car pack an enhanced experience, without reducing that of those without.

Yeah. I mean in regards to things like Mass Effect 2, with the enhanced weaponry and stuff. And in the States, there's different bonuses depending where you get it from, which is creeping towards us now aswell.

Why should I have to buy it from Game over Gamestation when Game gives you an extra 20% damage weapon, where the Gamestation preorder is 20% speed (For want of a much better example).

I just don't see how they punish consumers, as it were, for not pre-ordering it. I mean I can see WHY they do it, but I don't think it's "Right".

Then again, games and ethical publishing. Can of worms.

Yeah. TF2 went crazy with the whole DLC thing, too. With the whole hats thing.

But at least they often give discounts for preorders. I hate the idea of paying more for some gimmicky unlock that OCD players will be shelling out $10 for.

I agree with most of you that I like extra physical goods, but generally exclusive DLC is annoying. That said I rarely go for limited editions, the latest I can remember getting is WoW: Wrath of the Lich King, which was very much worth it to me. Came with an amazing hardcover art book (main thing I wanted), awesome box, soundtrack, making-of dvd (don't really care about this), mousepad, and in-game frostwyrm pet (an exception to not liking dlc, vanity stuff like this can be cool). That was $70 I believe, which was $30 more than the standard edition. I will probably be getting the Cataclysm limited edition as well if it has similar goodies.

I drool over the goodies, but almost always manage to talk myself down to the standard game edition after looking at my poor bank account, heh.

I generally have too much stuff and want less anyway, so special editions with extra tat are pretty repellent to me. Even a DVD case counts as clutter nowadays.

I generally have too much stuff and want less anyway, so special editions with extra tat are pretty repellent to me. Even a DVD case counts as clutter nowadays.

Exactly this. :tup:

The only limited edition I ever bought was the Dreamfall one, because it came with the OST and a DVD version of The Longest Journey. I didn't even buy it new; I bought it second-hand offa ebay for like 20 bucks. It was still shrink wrapped and everything. :D

I usually think Special Editions are utterly useless. Just a way for the publisher/developer to earn some extra cash without actually doing anything. And I've never seen a collectors edition that I thought was worth the price of admission. Games are expensive as it is and I don't have the disposable income to pay twice as much for one game.

Oh man, this too. I wouldn't even know where to put all that extra shit I got with it. I'm already stacking up games and books on my dinner table because I don't have anymore room to put shit. Hope I get a bigger place soon. :shifty:

I tend to agree, but I have a weakness for art books.

Unfortunately most of the time collector's edition art books don't live up to the inflated price.

The only limited edition I ever bought was the Dreamfall one, because it came with the OST and a DVD version of The Longest Journey. I didn't even buy it new; I bought it second-hand offa ebay for like 20 bucks. It was still shrink wrapped and everything. :D

I usually think Special Editions are utterly useless. Just a way for the publisher/developer to earn some extra cash without actually doing anything. And I've never seen a collectors edition that I thought was worth the price of admission. Games are expensive as it is and I don't have the disposable income to pay twice as much for one game.

Oh man, this too. I wouldn't even know where to put all that extra shit I got with it. I'm already stacking up games and books on my dinner table because I don't have anymore room to put shit. Hope I get a bigger place soon. :shifty:

Have a big clear out! It's crackers to want to move to a bigger house so you can put more stuff in it! (Meant in the nicest possible way of course) :)

I just got Anno 1404 special edition (since it was £15 at amazon - a bit more now it seems), and okay...it came with some fine stuff if you want it (Bonus DVD, compass, some plant seeds which were a bit silly, a small poster, art book...), in a neat box (a wooden one! might well reuse that), but sadly the compass was broken! :(

It did also come with the game, which was handy.

I usually never bother, mainly because it is mostly tat and much too expensive to justify the purchase, or is stuff I want to seriously bang peoples heads against walls for making pre-order - like extra units in RTS games, I'm looking at you Empire: Total War!

I'd agree with the others saying; space is an issue. I have my desk full of computer at home, which is more important then figurines :)

I tend to agree, but I have a weakness for art books.

Unfortunately most of the time collector's edition art books don't live up to the inflated price.

But you did buy the Uncharted 2 artbook?

I don't think I've ever bought a limited edition game, except Mass Effect 2 Deluxe Digital from Steam, which barely makes as limited. I don't have any desire to showcase statuettes or boxes, my living room is nerdy enough as it is (with 2 consoles and a shitload of games).

:tup::tup::tup:

The only thing I miss about having a physical copy is the lack of manual, but it's a minimal feeling of loss in reality.

I never intentionally buy collector editions but can see why people do if they really love a game. That said, you should probably keep it in pristine and unplayed condition for it to be worth anything in the future.

Have a big clear out! It's crackers to want to move to a bigger house so you can put more stuff in it! (Meant in the nicest possible way of course) :)

You're probably right, but it's just that my room is really small. I don't have an inordinate amount of stuff; I'm not a hoarder or anything like that. :D

Except... That I hung on to every one of those cardboard boxes PC games used to come in. They don't make those anymore and I just can't make myself get rid of them. :grin:

Ah apologies. I thought you lived in a house. I mean, you obviously do, but it's different to living in your own house with kitchen lounge, dining room etc. There's loads of opportunity and space to store more gear. I do, and am trying not to :)

But you did buy the Uncharted 2 artbook?

I wish!

I'm out of money from buying inferior art books.