Sign in to follow this  
Garple

Anybody Played...?

Vampire the Masquerade (I really wanted this one back in the day)

I played Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption a decade ago. It was decent. It had a hokey storyline and weak, Diablo-style combat, but the developers put a lot into it and seemed to really like the "World of Darkness" they were using. I liked the medieval scenes a lot more than the present day last half of the game.

I was very intrigued by the multiplayer aspect of the game, which was very influenced by the pen and paper game. It allowed someone to be a dungeon master and construct scenarios for others to play in. The game included a murder mystery sample game that I never got all the way through.

If there is still a multiplayer community, then I think this would be an excellent purchase. The main game is good enough, but kind of lightweight.

I played Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption a decade ago. It was decent. It had a hokey storyline and weak, Diablo-style combat, but the developers put a lot into it and seemed to really like the "World of Darkness" they were using. I liked the medieval scenes a lot more than the present day last half of the game.

I was very intrigued by the multiplayer aspect of the game, which was very influenced by the pen and paper game. It allowed someone to be a dungeon master and construct scenarios for others to play in. The game included a murder mystery sample game that I never got all the way through.

If there is still a multiplayer community, then I think this would be an excellent purchase. The main game is good enough, but kind of lightweight.

I'll second that. I remember my computer having troubles rendering the background so i just looked at the ground whenever i had framerate issues and it ran fine. Obviously not a problem these days but... If I remember, it had a decent enough atmosphere to keep me going (especially if you were ever into the White Wolf pen/paper RPG) and mikemariano's right in that the mutliplayer had a GM basically that could write quests. It couldn't have voice acting or anything but you could write out dialogue and re-use all the game maps to send players on missions and everything. i remember thinking it was pretty cool but none of my friends played it so i never really gave it much time.

The sequel, Bloodlines, was also decent I thought. That game I believe was the first to license valve's Source engine so it ended up being a bit less Diablo-esque and a bit more Fable-y.

I wouldn't call either game great, but if memory serves both were decent.

Bloodlines wasn't a sequel to Masquerade; they are two completely different games that have nothing to do with each other.

With that said I enjoyed Masquerade as a game more. The mp features seemed like a really cool idea, but I never, ever saw it ever pan out well. Basically shotgun vs sword = shotgun wins.

Also mideval parts were way cooler.

NOSTALGIA ALERT: I was heavily into Vampire the Masqurade: Redemption from when it came out to years after. The online really pulled me in, being a 15-ish something teenager wanting to be in some type community. For me, and the users who I became friends with, the online play opened up this huge world of scenery, times (past/present), weapons, spells - all in this dark and moody RPG mechanic. It was about the socialization of players to many - acting as an interactive chat combined into a game, almost forced.

The broad juxtapositions between past items and objects versus new ones was intriguing to most. The concept of a hidden entity controlling everything to props, levels, weapons, characters (DM) was something quite new. There was hundreds of roleplay mods developed, server plugins and all the like extended the life of it for years and years.

Saying that, I haven't touched it in sooo many years, and I doubt heavily there will be anybody playing online. I could go on forever about this - but it's one of those online experiences that I and others will never be able to experience again.

I recently bought the special edition of Escape from New York, and there's an ad in there for a Snake Plisken Video game on the PS2. Anybody try that out?

I was just imagining a Metal Gear Solid game where Snake Plisken and Solid Snake meet. "Call me Snake." "Snake?"

Either they walk off into the sunset holding hands or the world rips apart, unable to contain the intensity of the quantum mechanics that are in play.

I recently bought the special edition of Escape from New York, and there's an ad in there for a Snake Plisken Video game on the PS2. Anybody try that out?

I was just imagining a Metal Gear Solid game where Snake Plisken and Solid Snake meet. "Call me Snake." "Snake?"

Either they walk off into the sunset holding hands or the world rips apart, unable to contain the intensity of the quantum mechanics that are in play.

It's probably either an ad for a game that was canceled, or a reference to Metal Gear Solid 2, where Snake introduces himself to Raiden as Iroquois Pliskin (though, based on you mentioning MGS, I guess you probably already know about that).