Sign in to follow this  
Squid Division

Sid Meier and the Game Design Challenge

I saw this at Rock, Paper, Shotgun and I figured there'd be some interested people here. It's Sid participating in and judging a 48 hour game design challenge. I find it interesting that there seemed to be a lot of emphasis on bugs as opposed to the concept of the game. But I suppose it was a challenge designed around the completion of a game, not just the implementation of the idea.

I feel like a lot of them, including Sid, missed the point. You could be a lot more creative with the theme "restraint" than simply putting someone in a maze.

I feel like a lot of them, including Sid, missed the point. You could be a lot more creative with the theme "restraint" than simply putting someone in a maze.

You definitely could be, but it's a little hard to be THAT creative in 48 hours. There's only so much pre production you can afford to do.

It's not super clear from the video but several of the games took the theme very literally, like the winning one (what mechanical restraints were there?).

I guess I completely interpreted the theme differently... My initial reaction was to think of 'showing restraint' as in making the player not act on impulses. Though I have no idea how to represent that in the timeframe... and not being a programmer even a little, I dont know how feasible that is..

I enjoyed watching this.

Edit: I should add, the reason I thought of that first was because I was thinking of games that made me feel restrained. And on top of that list was SWAT4. Possibly the fault of the Thumbs talking about it recently....

I guess I completely interpreted the theme differently... My initial reaction was to think of 'showing restraint' as in making the player not act on impulses. Though I have no idea how to represent that in the timeframe... and not being a programmer even a little, I dont know how feasible that is..

I enjoyed watching this.

Edit: I should add, the reason I thought of that first was because I was thinking of games that made me feel restrained. And on top of that list was SWAT4. Possibly the fault of the Thumbs talking about it recently....

I had a similar reaction....

I then realized I had no idea how to implement any sort of player restraint. So instead I would make a SHMUP where your ship is physically restrained by a chain and must collect power ups to break it by destroying enemy ships.

yeah, that idea sucks