Sign in to follow this  
Patters

GTA 58 The name's Games, Video Games

I've only just got back from a (pretty awesome) lecture (given by Kubrick collaborator Jan Harlan), and I've got to eat and do some work. So... enjoy blowing each other up and so on.

Woah, I somehow completely forgot. Sorry guys.

I've only just got back from a (pretty awesome) lecture (given by Kubrick collaborator Jan Harlan), and I've got to eat and do some work. So... enjoy blowing each other up and so on.

Wow, how was that?

GG, everyone! :tup:

Good fun. I like destroying everything with a helicopter and winning races. I don't like having my Biff tipped over into the river by a bunch of reckless drivers.

Also, I tried the podcast method of staying in map view as the cop partner, constantly updating waypoints to keep the heat on the crooks. For some reason, though, it did not help. I decided to evacuate the vehicle, but failed, and bounced on the hoods and bonnets of a record five cars before death took me.

I just loved listening to Patters being so proud of himself for getting a helicopter to climb to the maximum height with only one rotor blade for about 5 minutes. Of course, this was followed by me taking an ordinary tour helicopter and smashing it into him in mid-air. This caused his tail and remaining blade to be separated from his copter and him to fall the maximum distance the game allowed. I watched this laughing my ass off while still very safe in my own (totally intact) helicopter. Good times. Good times. As I said in game, he had a very long time to contemplate his impending death, and it probably made him a better person.

I just loved listening to Patters being so proud of himself for getting a helicopter to climb to the maximum height with only one rotor blade for about 5 minutes. Of course, this was followed by me taking an ordinary tour helicopter and smashing it into him in mid-air. This caused his tail and remaining blade to be separated from his copter and him to fall the maximum distance the game allowed. I watched this laughing my ass off while still very safe in my own (totally intact) helicopter. Good times. Good times. As I said in game, he had a very long time to contemplate his impending death, and it probably made him a better person.

Lol. So that's what happened... wow, how did you survive for so long with only 1 rotor blade, Patters?

Sounds like it was a fun night!

Wow, how was that?

Oh, it was great. He was a big bundle of enthusiasm and pure passion, dripping with inspiring advice and quotable bits.

He ended with a big recommendation for using classical chamber music in amateur short films, because they provide emotive scoring, but also they're in the public domain (so you only have to pay the musicians). Then he wrapped up with a rousing appraisal of Bach, and invited his friend Alexander Baillie to sit in front of us and play a piece from Bach's Cello Suites.

Quite special, I thought. Although, my course isn't in filmmaking, it's in film history and theory, so some of the students were too busy picking apart his views on auteur theory and reader response theory to be set alight by his drive.

It seems it will take me a few sessions to get comfortable with GTA multiplayer, especially since you guys have been playing once a week for like two years. I'm just glad I was finally able to connect and I look forward to future Tuesdays.

Did he discuss Kubrick at all? What he was like... Why he needed 100s of takes? (This is wonderfully off-topic, btw.)

He did drop the 'K' word a few times (although, mostly he referred to him as 'Stanley'), but as he is a filmmaker and filmmaking teacher in his own right, he spoke quite generally, giving his own spin on auteur theory ('no committee has ever written a great novel, or symphony... the architect and the client are responsible for the building'), telling us how to get a world-class score for hardly any money, and showing us clips from short films he's come across over the years at festivals, or speaking with great enthusiasm about Ingmar Bergman and Fanny and Alexander.

Although, the only actual bit I noted down was that Kubrick came up to him, needing a piece of music for the beginning of 2001, and Harlen gave him 'Also Sprach Zarathustra'.

Also, someone asked him about if it was true that Kubrick was a divisive personality on set, and he said that you only hear about the bad examples, saying that Kubrick had great relationships with most of the big actors he worked with, but despite this they only mention Shelley Duvall (and apparently that was blown out of proportion). He was saying how Cruise and Kidman only signed on for 16 weeks filming, or some normal contract, but stayed on for months longer because they were so taken with Kubrick and the project.

He directed the 'Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures' film, which is up on youtube. So I guess if you want to see his insight into the filmmaker, it's probably spilling out of every frame of that movie.

He was only supposed to talk for an hour. After about 140 mins, he had to be told to stop, and he'd barely got halfway through his notes. And he'd only just got back to the country, after 3 days getting trains and buses and ferries to return from Helsinki. What an inspiring madman.