Thompson

Anyone Remember?

Does that mean you also never heard the Wizard episode? (I'm not sure I can say any more without spoiling it)

No, I don't think I have.  What episode is it?

The thing about the Wizard joke is that the actual controversy they joke about is in episode 2, while the song Chris makes in response is in episode 5.

MIGHT AS WELL JUST START FROM THE BEGINNING MY FRIEND

No, I don't think I have.  What episode is it?

You should really listen to all the episodes. You're missing out on the shitty wizard, Space Asshole, the Saitek Cyborg prelude to our all-big dog universe, and Gold Game Goldblum, among Other Hits.

Less of an 'anyone remember?' and more an 'anyone else have this?', but I was in a weird mood earlier and wanted to listen to the ruined "Surprise Animal" version of episode 36, and it wasn't in my rss feed as usual. It's still in the archive under "!!", so I am satiated in terms of thumbs' discussions of animal sex, but I'm just curious if it's an isolated behavior or if they took it off the rss in the interest of not embarrassing themselves, or taste. At any rate, I now have a copy of Jake breaking in to mention dwarf bestiality for my very own.

I do this too!

That episode actually best represents my favorite era of Idle Thumbs***: the one starting with the podblast Surprise! and ending with the first death of the podcast around episode 50. I call it the "F--- Nick/Congrats Nick" phase of the podcast, and it's the origin of some of my favorite long-lasting Thumbs in-jokes: the shitty wizard, the space asshole, Jeff Goldblum's name, Chris' bizarre concept for a Waluigi game, and of course: the memification (and ritual burial) of Nick Breckon. More importantly, it showcases some of the weirdest and most experimental editing that the show has ever had before or since. Chris has said on the podcast (I forget which) that Monty Python was a big influence on some of his podcast editing; episodes from this era are clearly what he's referring to. Listing my favorite episodes, I end up listing almost half of them: Surprise!, You Gotta Have Spice, Video Game Baby, Salacious Thumb, Episode Forty-Five, In Space, and Farewell, Video Games (The Shitty Wizard).

***(Besides, perhaps, this most current era that I delineate with the introduction of Danielle)

Edit: haha, filters

I was always confused as fuck during that moment where Jake made a weird comparison to closeted public office holders, and then Chris loops the audio like 5 times. 

but also echoing your statement, I think episodes 40-45 are what I think of when somebody asks "why should I listen to idle thumbs"

So I'm listening through the older episodes, and in ep 40 (Idle thumbs 40,000) they talk about the possible expansiveness of the StarCraft 2 mod kit, and Blizzard having a marketplace for them in the future and such like. I never ended up playing or following the game, did any of that end up coming true? It seems sorta pie in the sky, and I haven't heard more on it, but I don't know. 

So I'm listening through the older episodes, and in ep 40 (Idle thumbs 40,000) they talk about the possible expansiveness of the StarCraft 2 mod kit, and Blizzard having a marketplace for them in the future and such like. I never ended up playing or following the game, did any of that end up coming true? It seems sorta pie in the sky, and I haven't heard more on it, but I don't know. 

Nope, nothing. There's a bad custom game system for finding a game for any map on the top 10 list by popularity. I don't think the ranking has changed much since beta.

There's definitely a bunch of really fun custom maps like Warcraft 3 had (tower defence, party, arenas) but the arcade(what the marketplace turned into) is pretty bad as far as finding new maps and the voting system.

Which ____craft game was it that had the awesome Kart Racer mod that somebody built and released within a day of the game coming out?

Which ____craft game was it that had the awesome Kart Racer mod that somebody built and released within a day of the game coming out?

I think it was one of the War Craft 3 expansions? but there was one in Starcraft 2 I think.

none of this is helpful I am sorry

The WC3 Kart Racer was made by Blizzard, it worked fine solo on a local client or on LAN, it does not work with 100 ms.

Then, when the SC2 editor was released, someone very quickly (less than 24 hours) made a kart racer in SC2

I don't know how this one plays since it was impossible to fill a custom game unless it was Nexus Wars or one of the other top 10 maps unless you had 5-10 friends online that you could manually invite to come play.

I just want to add that WC3's single screen list of hosted games with lobby names ordered via time of creation (or closed/opened last slot) turned out to be vastly superior to SC2's 5 screens of tabs of maps you could play. Then again they didn't bother putting in chat rooms till 6 months down the line. SC2 was really the loneliest multiplayer experience at launch :(

Warcraft III mods were way too good, man.

I was the guy that played this nonstop every day:

Okay, thanks, that answers my questions. They were talking about Blizzard people saying you could go so far as to hire a small team to work on a SC2 mod to sell, one that is more complex than DOTA is, for example. It all sounded like insanity to me, but I wasn't sure if there was some quiet community of people doing insane shit with it. Makes sense it ended up being mostly maps and different 'modes'.

I guess DOTA really isn't worth selling, DOTA2 is free even.

They showed interesting examples of the SC2 editor's capabilities, like a 3rd person RPG map with WASD, crazy scripted ultralisk with spine and spore crawlers on it's back that shot exploding banelings.

While the engine supported WASD and mouse look as inputs, it didn't work with multiplayer client/server predictions. There is no prediction, what you see is what's there but your client has lag before things happen.

There's just so little unit variety compared to WC3.

It's really strange how Blizzard had WC3 and DOTA but didn't do anything with it.

Randomly, I started listening to Thumbs again from the beginning a month or so ago.

1) They're great. You should do this. If you haven't listened to them all, you MUST do this.

2) I was surprised to re-remember how quickly the standard cadence and most of the in-jokes of an Idle Thumbs episode were established. There is tv/radio/video/pod out there where the first 6 months feels nothing like the current iteration, and this definitely isn't that. Which is a good thing (See: #1 - They're great)

3) Way more Gaynor than I remember! Aw, yeah.

4) Please add the Saitek Cyborg into the episode guide. It's my favorite pod blast and I have to go on an internet hunt every time I want to hear about Hyper-Glide Feet. It's on the website but not on the episode listing.

The biggest thing that old Thumbs had going for it over new Thumbs was more Gaynor. Of course, there's lots of great stuff about the cast now that it didn't used to have (Danielle, for instance), but I miss those Hot Scoops.

The biggest thing old Thumbs had was the fact that someone sent in a picture of a poorly localized Batman trading card, simply because the Thumbs talked about batman once.

Seriously ep 1-50 fanmail was A+++

Alright, I have a couple "Does anyone know which episode has..." things, in increasing order of vagueness, and simultaneously, decreasing order of importance.

1. The exact episode's not important, but what was the name of that board game they mentioned once or twice, in which you have to take control of a city (New York?) by like... manipulating different ethnic groups? All I remember is that it led to hilarious gross comments in-game like "Man, the Jews are a real problem for me right now." etc.

2. The bit where Jake (I'm pretty sure) and Chris have a brief dialogue on how to smother a baby.

3. This is super vague to the max, but I remember a bit where Nick was doing that Nick thing where he says he'll talk about something, then backtracks, then starts again, then says it's not interesting, and so on and so forth; and while he's doing this, the other guys are just dying of laughter, and Chris says in a strained voice, "What are you doing??".

Also, comment on the current conversation: classic Thumbs are amazing. As much as I like the current era, there's a bit of magic in the early episodes that's not always captured in the recent ones. Some kind of barely-contained nonsense. And the memes were in full power, as well. I think the only one I ever really got tired of was "Have you heard about that game that lets you rewind time..." (paraphrased).

I can answer your first question. The game is Tammany Hall and they talk about it in episode 106: Imagine the Man.