Thompson

Anyone Remember?

also, i love that bj email. i loved all the goofy 'what is game' and nick bredon emails. I love that dumb crap.

Holy shit, I forgot that one of, "What is game?" e-mails were mine. The babby one, and then Steve cleverly said you tape two Gamecubes together. Awesome. I also remember they did not have any clue why anyone wrote in, "What is game?" until it was pointed out in the forums.

I feel sad these days about my wizard voicemail stealing the raping through a hole joke. I made a rape joke ;(. Oops.

That blowjob e-mail was great though. I wish they would read more bizarre e-mails. People tend to ramble these days.

I am secretly super pleased to have been the last person to get a "please say 'The Wizard'" email read on-air.

you know it also occurs to me that maybe the lack of focus on weird industry shit could also be attributed to the fact that the industry just isn't as weird as it used to be. there's still that stuff happening at the AAA level (like the MGS5 discussion in the recent episode, jeez), but the indie game scene is healthy and respected, console peripherals aren't that stupid and dont have creepy little boys attached to them, and frankly a lot of great games just come out all the time now. this may just be my perception though.

My favourite stupid industry bullshit is the stuff that only happens outside of the games themselves and only really gets passed down through journalists, like that Australian news company that had to have their building evacuated and call in a bomb squad because Ubisoft thought it would be fun to send them their review copy of Watch_Dogs in a beeping black metal box.

Haha, fittingly enough the BJ email is from episode 27: What is Game?

I think next time a Thumbs anniversary comes around we should do a POTY.CX for best podcast moments, best episode, best email etc.

My favourite stupid industry bullshit is the stuff that only happens outside of the games themselves and only really gets passed down through journalists, like that Australian news company that had to have their building evacuated and call in a bomb squad because Ubisoft thought it would be fun to send them their review copy of Watch_Dogs in a beeping black metal box.

Ohh, that kind of shit is the best. Did the Thumbs ever discuss the Dead Island promotional Flesh Husk? That whole kerfuffle happened before I became a reader.

What was the episode where the computer made that horrifying nightmare sound?  I don't know how else to describe it.

What was the episode where the computer made that horrifying nightmare sound?  I don't know how else to describe it.

The Silent Hill Pyramid Head noise that woke Chris up repeatedly, right? I can remember Nick babooing in fear, but I can't remember what episode, except it was around the thirties, maybe?

Does anyone remember the episode where Jake and Sean were talking about the Walking Dead Season 2, and they were saying how they were disappointed that Telltale wanted them to make another season rather than doing a new thing entirely. I think the discussion ends with one of them saying, "But what if we didn't have to make another season?" or something like that.

Maybe I'm just remembering the whole thing incorrectly.

Funny that you mention the vocabulary as I had been going through the old podcasts recently adn completely forgotten that they used the term 'gay' in a derrogatory manner. I think I sent a poorly worded email about it at some point too.

To be fair - I wasn't outraged as I am pretty sure I was in the habit of using the same words without really thinking about the wider meaning and connotations. It was just funny how my brain had fully ignored it and that given how my own personal views have changed the word stood out.

Also I am definite agreeance that it is great to have Danielle on the show.

Does anyone remember where the whole "Dishonoured xxx day" comes from? It's an injoke that I didn't either get or understand? I know there's an episode titled 'Dishonoured Thanks Giving' but I think that's after the joke has been established? 

I think episode 80, Happy Dishonored Halloween, was the origin. I don't get it either.

It's from Chris making fun of himself, and then the Thumbs inserting that as content into the Dishonored universe.

Less of an 'anyone remember?' and more an 'anyone else have this?', but I was in a weird mood earlier and wanted to listen to the ruined "Surprise Animal" version of episode 36, and it wasn't in my rss feed as usual. It's still in the archive under "!!", so I am satiated in terms of thumbs' discussions of animal sex, but I'm just curious if it's an isolated behavior or if they took it off the rss in the interest of not embarrassing themselves, or taste. At any rate, I now have a copy of Jake breaking in to mention dwarf bestiality for my very own.

Wait, what?

Oh man, you never listened to the deleted bestiality podcast? You're in for a treat.

For some reason I'm having flashbacks to this moment in some episode when either Chris or Jake pitch shifted himself saying "I guess" or said it in some deep-throated speech synthesizer  voice. I'm listening to older episodes and I keep hearing it in my head after someone says "I guess", expecting it to be the one but it never is. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Oh man, you never listened to the deleted bestiality podcast? You're in for a treat.

I'm assuming this is the one that shows up in my feed as Idle News Podblast: 8/1/2010 - Surprise!  The description says it's a ruined version of IT 36.  Never listened to it before, preparing my ear holes now. 

I'm assuming this is the one that shows up in my feed as Idle News Podblast: 8/1/2010 - Surprise!  The description says it's a ruined version of IT 36.  Never listened to it before, preparing my ear holes now. 

Yes indeed. Surprise.

It was actually the fourth or fifth episode after I started listening (holy shit so long ago), and it might, sadly, be the moment that hooked me.

Holy crap, that entire little podblast is now one of my favorite things I've ever heard from the Thumbs (I'm secretly a terrible person, I just pretend to be respectable most of the time). 

Holy crap, that entire little podblast is now one of my favorite things I've ever heard from the Thumbs (I'm secretly a terrible person, I just pretend to be respectable most of the time). 

It's the best worst BEST WORST BEST (worst)

Clicking through from that podblast brought me to one of my favorite episodes: "Episode Forty-Five" from five years ago this month.

One of the first topics discussed is the miserable "Subject Zero/Jack" trailer for Mass Effect 2.  Chris's description of the character crosscuts with audio clips of the insufferable trailer.

It's interesting to hear Chris—in 2009—describe the general grossness of big budget gaming as something that is becoming a problem.  Chris and Jake compared it to the tasteless ads in the hardware section of PC Gamer in the 90s.  It was an anomaly, not the way they thought games were by default.

And now, according to awful, entitled, vocal people on the Internet, this is the way games are by default—and how they always were by default.

Don't believe them!  Don't let them rewrite history!  Listen to old episodes of Idle Thumbs instead!

I'm glad my 4 am desire to hear discussions about randomly selected animal sex has brought joy to people in this world. It has been a dark week and bestiality humor is a good antidote, I find. It still doesn't appear in my RSS, but the mp3 now has its own little playlist called "Best of Idle Thumbs". I might add more snippets to that at some point, but more likely I will not. Unsurpassed and unsurpassable as a work of vocal entertainment, that podblast is.

I'm glad my 4 am desire to hear discussions about randomly selected animal sex has brought joy to people in this world. It has been a dark week and bestiality humor is a good antidote, I find. It still doesn't appear in my RSS, but the mp3 now has its own little playlist called "Best of Idle Thumbs". I might add more snippets to that at some point, but more likely I will not. Unsurpassed and unsurpassable as a work of vocal entertainment, that podblast is.

Thanks for bringing it up!  I didn't start listening until after the Kickstarter, and don't delve into the back catalog much, so without people mentioning their favorite stuff, I'd never hear it.