Thompson

Anyone Remember?

As a heavy AV Club commentor until a few months ago, it's wild hearing Nick's assessment of the comment section.  It's more or less correct, but the non-sequiturs and Simpsons quotes are always meant to be celebratory, not mean-spirited like so many YouTube comments.

My AV Club username got Disqused out of existence, so I'm now limiting my Internet commenting to this site and AV Club spinoff site/rival The Dissolve.  I love the Dissolve writers, but loathe the comments, which often devolve into Criterion Collection dick-measuring contests.

I do let my AV Club brain loose on The Dissolve every once in a while.  One recent article listed "Five powerful movie journalists."  I noticed the list omitted Lois Lane, who does a lot of onscreen journalism.  I thought, "I'm going to mention Lois Lane in the comments.  Let me start typing: Lois..."

Then I remembered the Twitter gimmick account @ck1blogs, a brain-addled Clark Kent who addresses every tweet in lowercase to Lois Lane.  Sometimes the entirety of his tweet is just her name.

So that's the comment I left:

post-8337-0-47878600-1396321944_thumb.png

The few people who knew about this Twitter gimmick may or may not have found it amusing, and the readers that didn't would be reminded of Lois Lane, which is all I wanted to do in the first place.

So why not be goofy and pithy?  That's the AV Club way!

Right around the 20:20 mark. Nick mentions earlier in the stream reading a review there.

Missed this until now, thanks Sarge!

Does anyone remember the episode where they talk about recommendations to show significant others video games that could change their perception of what video games are? I think it might have been a reader mail, and they mentioned Bioshock Infinite, Journey, and Limbo among others. Some of my friends are going through this, so I thought I'd get them to listen to it! I just can't find it!

As a heavy AV Club commentor until a few months ago, it's wild hearing Nick's assessment of the comment section.  It's more or less correct, but the non-sequiturs and Simpsons quotes are always meant to be celebratory, not mean-spirited like so many YouTube comments.

Hey! I was a heavy AVC commenter until a few months ago-ish too! Well, I was mostly on Gameological at the end. I still post on The Dissolve all the damn time though. I like the comments there, though some commenters get on my nerves, I like most of them a lot.

I actually knew what your avatar was after I re-read your name here and before I scrolled down and actually saw it. :v

Oh man, I am really glad people are keeping track of conversations from Spelunky streams! More of that please!

Silly question regarding this. I enjoy watching the Spelunky streams when there are multiple people playing. I'm more into internet conversations rather than internet monologs. Does there happen to be a list somewhere of which of Chris's streams have company?

Jesus, listening to old podcasts of Idle Thumbs is so weird. I decided to go to a random episode of the back catalogue today during work because I was doing fairly mindless stuff, and it was just so bizarre to hear the thumbs casually drop "retarded", and read an email about someone getting a "bj" while listening to Idle Thumbs. You'd never hear that stuff in an episode now I don't think(?) I guess it was 5 years ago...but my brain was just so confused. Weird!

In the first few episodes "Pull shit out your ass" is a regularly repeated phrase.

I'm listening to the old episodes, I first started at like 120 in august or something, now I'm at episode 62. The podcast has ended twice so far, then started up again.

I first started listening to the podcast right after the kickstarter revival, and found myself listening to the older episodes in reverse chronological order, whilst also listening to the new episodes as they were being released. It was a pretty strange experience that reached peak weirdness when I discovered the origin of the wizard joke (in episode 5 I think) and a whole bunch of things made sense.

That was a long time ago now. I should listen to those old episodes again... 

Jesus, listening to old podcasts of Idle Thumbs is so weird. I decided to go to a random episode of the back catalogue today during work because I was doing fairly mindless stuff, and it was just so bizarre to hear the thumbs casually drop "retarded", and read an email about someone getting a "bj" while listening to Idle Thumbs. You'd never hear that stuff in an episode now I don't think(?) I guess it was 5 years ago...but my brain was just so confused. Weird!

oh man, I did the same thing. Other shit that caught me off guard was using words like "rape" or "kill yourself"

I'm really glad they don't do that shit anymore, If I had started listening back then I probably wouldn't have stuck with it.

oh man, I did the same thing. Other shit that caught me off guard was using words like "rape" or "kill yourself"

I'm really glad they don't do that shit anymore, If I had started listening back then I probably wouldn't have stuck with it.

If I had the opportunity to speak on a podcast back in 2009 the shit I would've said would be way worse. The public discourse about that stuff wasn't where it was today and people grow up over time. It was legitimately shocking to hear though because its just language I haven't really been exposed to for a while.

I guess "Alt-F4 Delete Local Content" doesn't have quite the same sting.

Anyone remember what the origin of Happy Dishonored ______ is? I must have zoned out during that group of casts.

Anyone remember what the origin of Happy Dishonored ______ is? I must have zoned out during that group of casts.

I can tell you it's not in the first 63 episodes. If I happen to hit it I'll post another reply.

The jarring difference in vernacular between then and now I think is indicative of the change in Idle Thumbs as a whole from 'couple of dudes in chris' apartment' to 'kickstarter-backed podcast network'

On that note, there's a flavor of discussion that was phased out of Idle Thumbs, presumably because the group became less journalism and more development. I really miss the musings over industry news and controversy like Senor Superdouche, Killzone 2 ratings, countdown to tears horsebag etc.

those old episodes sure are different, but they definitely have a DIY feeling to them that makes me love them. hell i even miss the gigantic awkward silences that were interrupted only by the sounds of loud ass police sirens, and then somebody making a joke about the police coming.

The jarring difference in vernacular between then and now I think is indicative of the change in Idle Thumbs as a whole from 'couple of dudes in chris' apartment' to 'kickstarter-backed podcast network'

On that note, there's a flavor of discussion that was phased out of Idle Thumbs, presumably because the group became less journalism and more development. I really miss the musings over industry news and controversy like Senor Superdouche, Killzone 2 ratings, countdown to tears horsebag etc.

those old episodes sure are different, but they definitely have a DIY feeling to them that makes me love them. hell i even miss the gigantic awkward silences that were interrupted only by the sounds of loud ass police sirens, and then somebody making a joke about the police coming.

I really miss the journalism aspect sometimes, which is why I'm glad Danielle is guest-starring so much now. There was a moment in this last podcast when video-game-review-score-as-college-grading-scale came up and Chris was immediately like, "I don't want to talk about this," even though Danielle was ready to hash it out for a bit. I like that there's someone around on occasion who's not only still in journalism but is still eager to tackle the big bugbears, even if I sympathize more with Chris in terms of my actual desire to discuss the finer points of reviewing video games.

^^^ edit: totally beaten, and by someone who is actually up to date on podcast listening. Dang!

I'm still a few months behind on 'casts, but I really enjoyed #146 because of this. Chris was gone, and Danielle came in to talk about a lot of video games. There were less rehashes of old jokes and more discussion of actual video games, which was what I remember How Things Used To Be .

I feel the discussion is always going to be different if you spend your whole day writing about/playing games, or if you spend your whole day developing one game (or to quote Sean, "product").

I used to think that the running gag about Jake not playing video games and hating them was just a joke, but now that I make games for a living I totally understand.

you know it also occurs to me that maybe the lack of focus on weird industry shit could also be attributed to the fact that the industry just isn't as weird as it used to be. there's still that stuff happening at the AAA level (like the MGS5 discussion in the recent episode, jeez), but the indie game scene is healthy and respected, console peripherals aren't that stupid and dont have creepy little boys attached to them, and frankly a lot of great games just come out all the time now. this may just be my perception though.

also, i love that bj email. i loved all the goofy 'what is game' and nick bredon emails. I love that dumb crap.

anyways ditto to gormongous because i also love danielle's presence for the same reason.

I too am in total agreement with Gormongous about the difference between journalism & dev eras, as to what takes up the hosts' mental real estate and great value of Jr Mintz.

Sidebar: when Shawn Elliot was on, not too long ago, he told a funny sex story. 

Shawn Elliott's ability to conversationally shift between totally juvenile humor and super-salient cultural observations is impressive.