Thompson

Anyone Remember?

I'm having wayyy more fun relistening to old episodes than should be legally allowed. I just went though the episode with Max Ides, the one that came out on... Julides.

:tup:

I think you're about to hit the quote that I'm looking for (about the saxophonist name), let me know if you find it.

I first heard this late at night, driving on the interstate. Ended up with severe laughter-cramps.

They move naturally from the listener's question into reminiscing and trading stories, until they finally explode in old-man rants. I remember Steve Gaynor asking his cohosts in a later episode about this moment, and none of them remembered the Idle Thumbs Curmudgeony Old Asshole Blast.

I HATE WINDOWS I HATE MOBILITY GRAPHICS CARDS I HATE UPDATING MY GRAPHICS DRIVERS AUTOEXEC.BAT HIMEM.SYS.

I'm proceeding with relistening the whole podcast and it's certainly a weird experience to hear Chris in the earliest podcasts, specifically how many times he says stuff like 'fuck Bethesda'. I'd say even at this stage he's already playing hard to get.

Well played, Remo.

I'm proceeding with relistening the whole podcast and it's certainly a weird experience to hear Chris in the earliest podcasts, specifically how many times he says stuff like 'fuck Bethesda'. I'd say even at this stage he's already playing hard to get.

Well played, Remo.

Are you confusing Chris and Nick?

I AM CONFUSING CHRIS AND NICK!

I have failed as a Thumb. Get me my cat o' nine tails! It's self-flagellation time!

I AM CONFUSING CHRIS AND NICK!

I have failed as a Thumb. Get me my cat o' nine tails! It's self-flagellation time!

I started listening again recently and I get what you mean, though. Definitely funny that in the first episode they're extremely doubtful about Fallout 3. I particularly enjoyed the second (I think?) episode's extreme skepticism about Deus Ex HR, though to be fair I think that skepticism was shared by many.

Those earlier episodes also further confirm the sad reality that Diablo 3 will never actually be released.

Listening tot he REsident Evil one off post, and had another 'holy shit, the thumbs nailed it' moment.

At about 12 minutes into the idlenews blast they start talking about how Capcom looked at Gears of War, Prince of Persia and God of War before making Resi 5. Then Jake goes 'hopefully they'll look at Left 4 Dead'.

Well, guess what? 'Resident Evil: Raccon City' is happening.

Is the saxophonist Salacious Crumb? Or am just thinking of the Halo ODST smoky sax?

Listening tot he REsident Evil one off post, and had another 'holy shit, the thumbs nailed it' moment.

At about 12 minutes into the idlenews blast they start talking about how Capcom looked at Gears of War, Prince of Persia and God of War before making Resi 5. Then Jake goes 'hopefully they'll look at Left 4 Dead'.

Well, guess what? 'Resident Evil: Raccon City' is happening.

Is the saxophonist Salacious Crumb? Or am just thinking of the Halo ODST smoky sax?

No, it was a more offhand remark. Perhaps before or after phrase "Dusty Brown"; I'm pretty sure "Brown" was in there somewhere.

No, it was a more offhand remark. Perhaps before or after phrase "Dusty Brown"; I'm pretty sure "Brown" was in there somewhere.

80's Dog was the name;

Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 9: Rolling With the Pope at 1:11:45

Edited by spotpilgrim

"Did you call mom?" "You mean Phaedrus?" "OF COURSE I MEAN PHAEDRUS"

where is it?!!??? :gaming:

"Did you call mom?" "You mean Phaedrus?" "OF COURSE I MEAN PHAEDRUS"

where is it?!!??? :gaming:

That's got to be a GDC conf grenade doesn't it?

For a class, I'm required this week to look up technological resources for literacy education. I started thinking back on something that was mentioned on the podcast a long time ago, a game that generated levels based on text that you entered into it. As I recall, these levels required to you go through the text that you entered and contact every word, encouraging the player to read along as they played. Am I making this up? Does it actually exist? I swear that this was talked about at some point, and I think it would be a pretty cool thing to bring into a classroom situation. Anyone able to come up with a name for me?

Not sure if I should ask this here but it seems somewhat appropriate. I have listened to every episode at least twice and I cant for the life of me figure out the origin of the "Grenade rolls down a hill" Far Cry 2 meme. Either I have completely missed it being mentioned or it came from another source outside of the podcast.

Could anyone please be so kind as to enlighten me? It makes me feel left out and alone :(

I think there was an episode where Chris told an amazing Far Cry 2 story about being annihilated by his own thrown grenade due to physics bringing it back downhill to his position, or something like that! Can't remember the episode number or specifics, though, sorry!

I'm under the impression that the origin of "a grenade rolled down a hill" happened off air, and we're just left with it being a thing about Far Cry 2.

I'd been assuming that that meme wasn't a reference to any specific incident, but had just developed as a sort of shorthand for "amazing emergent Far Cry 2 story," kind of like in the prologue of TITP #6 when they just bullshit some stuff about jumping a thing off a thing and seeing an animal and there being so much grandeur. However, what David said does sound vaguely familiar. But my knowledge of Idle Thumbs lore is not encyclopedic enough to know for sure.

I would hazard a guess that if there was a specific story, it was probably somewhere in the first five or six episodes that talked about Far Cry 2, before it became a joke that they talked about it so much. On the other hand, as I recall, most of the uses of the actual phrase "grenade rolled down a hill" were much more recent, in the post-Breckon era.

So in conclusion, I dunno. :getmecoat

Allow me to posit that the Grenade story originated from Vanaman in the Burning Down The Wolfman episode recorded at PAX.

Allow me to posit that the Grenade story originated from Vanaman in the Burning Down The Wolfman episode recorded at PAX.

I'm pretty sure it predates that because during that story, Famous says something like, "the grenade literally rolled down the fuckin' hill," referring to its already being a meme at that point.